Spray Oils for Cooking

Options
Hey there

So I've only just come across these products (Frylight oil sprays) and am wanting to switch over from regular oil. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between sunflower oil and olive oil, health benefits etc?
Also, will these be suitable for cooking omlettes? Right now I use oil as I'm allergic to butter.

Thanks!

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the differences in the oils (I use the olive oil one all the time and haven't ever tried the others).

I lightly spray the pan for omelettes every morning. They work just fine. You don't need oil or butter to make omelettes if you have a non-stick pan and a little spray.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use these a lot. Olive oil and sunflower oil are both good for you as unsaturated fats. I wouldn't recommend the BBQ spray except as a marinade,it's messy!They are fine for omelettes. Best thing is get a good non-stick pan if you don't have one as then you only need a couple of sprays.
  • amy_1987
    amy_1987 Posts: 45
    Options
    I think I'll try the olive one then thanks! I'm not the best at not getting my omlettes stuck down so always end up using loads of oil, but I do have a nice new pan to try out too, so hopefully that'll do the trick with the spray!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I use these a lot as well actually, as it but it takes a lot of sprays to make things like eggs not stick your pan (10+ sprays for 4+ eggs). I find adding a bit of water and lemon juice also helps in non-sticking. As for the differences, I'm not sure. Remember, they're all highly processed products, but I tend to go for the extra virgin olive oil.
  • tatey2009
    tatey2009 Posts: 47
    Options
    I have used these for years and out of the 2 mentioned favour the olive oil one as the taste seems much nicer

My absolute favourite is the butter one though, makes baked mushrooms so scrummy ... can only find this in the huge Tesco stores though and I rarely get down to one
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    See if you can find an oil sprayer and put your own olive oil in it. The pre-packaged sprays often contain preservatives, which aren't really good for your health.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Although not really a concern for cooking things like omelets, when choosing an oil for general oven usage, it's important to consider the smoke point.

I really like the way this blog breaks it down: http://www.cavemandoctor.com/2012/05/27/checking-your-oil-the-definitive-guide-to-cooking-with-fat/

The table of smoke points is pretty handy. =)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I don't buy specific spray oils but use a pump spray filled with olive oil a lot. It works great -- more droplets than an aerosole but I've had it for years and you just wash it out and refill it. I bought mine years ago from Pampered Chef but there are lots of them available on Amazon.

Using the pump spray it only takes about 1/2 tsp of oil to cover a small fry pan for frying an egg. I just have the one with the olive oil since that's my go to cooking oil. If I'm doing something too hot for the smoke point of olive oil -- like stir-frying in the wok, I use canola oil.