Need to lose weight - cant run

Options
BryKate
BryKate Posts: 74 Member
Hi everyone
So I just got back from the physio after running became extremely uncomfortable in my shins and calves. Long story short I need an MRI scan and it will be 6 weeks before I can run at all let alone build up to training for a half marathon which I'm hoping to do in September 2014 (will be 12 weeks before I can train for that). However I still have about 10-15 pounds I want to budge. So far I have definitely found running to be the most effective way to lose weight so I'm now fearful that my progress will be really slow. There are cross trainers and arc trainers at my gym but realistically are these as effective as running? I always feel like they're no where near as effective as running is and I'm really anxious now! Thanks in advance for anyone's help

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    So I just got back from the physio after running became extremely uncomfortable in my shins and calves. Long story short I need an MRI scan and it will be 6 weeks before I can run at all let alone build up to training for a half marathon which I'm hoping to do in September 2014 (will be 12 weeks before I can train for that). However I still have about 10-15 pounds I want to budge. So far I have definitely found running to be the most effective way to lose weight so I'm now fearful that my progress will be really slow. There are cross trainers and arc trainers at my gym but realistically are these as effective as running? I always feel like they're no where near as effective as running is and I'm really anxious now! Thanks in advance for anyone's help

Anything where you are active and moving about is effective. As you are unable to do running, what about swimming?

Also other stuff such as cross trainers, rowing machines, cycling and weights will all be of benefit to you.

Just stay active and try to keep as fit as you can so that when you eventually get back to running training you don't have to start from virtual scratch.

Best wishes to you that your MRI scan will all be okay too.

ps I don't need to tell you, I am sure, that September 2014 is plenty of time away to train for that half marathon, even with the time you will have to take off due to your injury at the moment xxx
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about lifting.

Keeping the weight off your legs rules out squats and Deads which is unfortunate, but you could to dips, pullups, bench press, seated rows etc etc etc

The change in routine might help get those lb down fast. Just make sure you are pushing as heavy as you can.

Good luck!
  • lurcstet
    lurcstet Posts: 77
    Options
    cross trainers, walking, swimming any activity will help.

But as per the comment above, why not try lifting, you will be surprised how lifting can be just as effective for weight loss and particularly all round conditioning and fitness.
    :smile:
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Any cardio is good cardio.

But you should lift.

inb4 "i don't want to get bulky"
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    So you have shin splints. I'm wondering why you need an MRI for that but anyway..... Youtube is your friend & can help you with that. Search for shin splint stretches. I had it bad last year, I still ran. Yeah I was in pain...heaps of pain. I was still running 10km a day with it. I ran mine out. I ran on grass to lessen the impact & still make the run good (grass is not easy to run on for that distance) and about 2 weeks later the shins came good.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    As others have said, swimming is probably best. But how about walking? Ask your physio first, but a long gentle walk will burn off as many calories as a short reasonably-paced jog (just allow a lot more time to burn the same calories!)

There are some workouts you can do sitting in a chair - it sounds an easy option but I did one when I had a bad hip the other day, and although it was not as strenuous as a proper aerobic workout I did get hotter and raise my heart rate. You can probably find a DVD, or some on line, which you could do in the interim.
  • carriespence1
    carriespence1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Any cardio will help burn calories but food is the biggest thing in weight loss. Maybe cut some of your simple starches from your diet in the evening ( if you have any to cut) . As we know that last 10-15 lbs can be a real pain to lose. I'm struggling with them myself. Good luck and hope everything is OK.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Running, in itself, doesn't make you lose weight. It just helps create a calorie deficit. Biking, elliptical and the arc trainer will all help create a calorie deficit.

And I'm a big fan of weight lifting as well, and think everyone should do it.
  • mperrott2205
    Options
    Running, in itself, doesn't make you lose weight. It just helps create a calorie deficit. Biking, elliptical and the arc trainer will all help create a calorie deficit.

A woman with sense.
  • BryKate
    Options
    I don't have shin splints. I have a stress fracture. I think my physio who had spent 8 years studying knows what she's talking about ;)
  • BryKate
    Options
    Yup I lift 4-5 times a week. I love it and find it effective but I know cardio is best just to shed those last few pounds. Thanks so much though for your advice. Maybe ill start lifting heavier! :)
    Have you thought about lifting.

Keeping the weight off your legs rules out squats and Deads which is unfortunate, but you could to dips, pullups, bench press, seated rows etc etc etc

The change in routine might help get those lb down fast. Just make sure you are pushing as heavy as you can.

Good luck!
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Start lifting and get yourself a heavy bag. Throwing punches for 3 minute bursts, resting for a minute, then doing it again will most certainly burn off those calories!
  • Hodgie12345
    Hodgie12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just dont run - walk instead. Lots. Its as good as running. Hodgie x
  • mperrott2205
    Options
    Yup I lift 4-5 times a week. I love it and find it effective but I know cardio is best just to shed those last few pounds. Thanks so much though for your advice. Maybe ill start lifting heavier! :)

Well, doing the exercise won't necessarily = the weight loss. Your diet needs to be good.

You can't out train a bad diet.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options

This ... I can't/don't run. Knees can't take it anymore (or I can't take the pain if I run). With that said I cycle ... love it more than I ever loved running. Actually no comparison cycling makes me feel free, like I'm flying. Nice thing about cycling .... huge calorie deficits. Give it a try and it is easy on the knees.
  • RachaelKaye4
    RachaelKaye4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Swim :)
  • NSMustanggirl
    NSMustanggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Big fan of weight training! I don't know the science behind it, but building muscle helps increase your metabolic calorie burn (ie calories burned while at rest). It's made a huge difference for me! I've been weight training for 5 months and have lost 31 lbs so it obviously doesn't make you gain weight unless you're training to really bulk up. And I'm with everyone else - any cardio is good cardio - just find something else that fits in with what you're able to do at this point!

Good luck with the MRI! Hope all is well!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

and they'll help you maintain your aerobic fitness (+1 on lifting weights too - every runner should be lifting as it is a big help in injury resistance........correction, everybody should lift.)
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that my legs tend to hurt if I run without lifting. I think there is a lot of muscle imbalance caused by running - it's so hamstring intensive. If I do squats once a week, I don't have any knee pain. I also noticed that ab/lower back work helps with running long distances since it's easier to hold up my upper body. When I used to get lazy and stop lifting (but still run), I'd start feeling aches and pains within a week or two.

Do you use an HRM? When I am running at my "i could run forever" pace my heart rate is in the 140s, if i'm hoofing it, I am in the 150s, maybe 160s for a little while. I try to keep the same HR on machines - spend about half my time in the 140s, then upping to 150s and 160s in intervals.