How do you stop everyday life getting in the way?

Options
I was doing really well up until April - I lost 43lbs of my 140lbs target and feeling great. Then since May I have had many trips away with work and a few house guests which resulted in the last two months being a disaster. When on a work trip it's hard to stick to my plan and when guests are here I spend so much time cooking, cleaning up, juggling work and entertaining them that I am too tired to do anything else. I have managed to stay at same weight and not put any on but I feel like two months have been completely wasted. Life is getting in the way and I almost wish I could take a year out just to concentrate on me. How do you manage it all? Any tips most welcome!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I was doing really well up until April - I lost 43lbs of my 140lbs target and feeling great. Then since May I have had many trips away with work and a few house guests which resulted in the last two months being a disaster. When on a work trip it's hard to stick to my plan and when guests are here I spend so much time cooking, cleaning up, juggling work and entertaining them that I am too tired to do anything else. I have managed to stay at same weight and not put any on but I feel like two months have been completely wasted. Life is getting in the way and I almost wish I could take a year out just to concentrate on me. How do you manage it all? Any tips most welcome!

i think you should see maintaining your weight over a busy period as a good thing! well done for not using work trips or friends being over as an excuse to just eat rubbish!

my only tip would be to try and prioritise working out even when you have guests - or do some fun activities with people - go for a walk, do some sight seeing, stuff like that. or even just say, heres the tv remote, i am working out for half an hour, feel free to raid my kitchen while i am busy - thats what i would do!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    First of all, not gaining anything is an accomplishment. Another accomplishment isn't losing control of your hard work and dropping everything. These things show a good shift in your thinking, which is HUGE since you're doing this for life.

Friends, meals, trips are a part of life, and you will be able to figure out what works for you.

Look at the big picture, these 2 months are just a tiny portion of your life and you did maintain your lower weight. Now you know you can maintain this weight, it's time to start moving down again. You can do this!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That you didn't gain anything is fantastic. Plus you probably boosted your metabolism a bit by eating at maintenance for a while... it will be easier to lose again now!
  • gem5639
    gem5639 Posts: 90
    Options
    Sometimes you have to accept life gets busy and you can't stay to "routine"... Try to keep your meals planned where possible to keep nutrition where it should be, then add your training back in when you can and get straight back to it! :)
  • medinalakegirl
    medinalakegirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow, maintaining your weight with all that going on is awesome and kudos on losing 43 pounds!

I'm not a huge fan of hotel workout rooms, though some are good and usually a stationary bike is open if everything else is taken; you can work up a good sweat on a stationary bike! Depending on where I travel though, I prefer to walk after work. When I don't feel like walking, I do it anyway and once I'm outside I love it. Using MapMyRide or another app on a phone with GPS is also helpful to track your walk; that way you know how many miles you went and how many calories you burned. I try to eat dinner afterward and then I know if I've earned enough workout points for a full entree or if it's veggies only for me; fish is a good choice for me too. When I track my exercise, I'm more motivated to make better choices while eating out because I don't want to ruin all that effort.

Sounds like you are ready to rededicate yourself and that's always the first step!
  • DelilaLightfoot
    Options
    Thanks so much for taking time to reply and your advice re guests is great - I need to step back a bit a let them get on with it instead of being such a control freak about doing everything for everyone!! Thanks.

i think you should see maintaining your weight over a busy period as a good thing! well done for not using work trips or friends being over as an excuse to just eat rubbish!

my only tip would be to try and prioritise working out even when you have guests - or do some fun activities with people - go for a walk, do some sight seeing, stuff like that. or even just say, heres the tv remote, i am working out for half an hour, feel free to raid my kitchen while i am busy - thats what i would do!
  • DelilaLightfoot
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your replies!! I guess it is good that I didn't put any on and I want to continue - I didn't think of it like that, I just focused on the wasted time. I need to accept that these things are going to happen and the important thing is getting back on track. I also need to be more organised and less worried about doing everything for people when they are here - I know they don't expect it so I should just let them get on with it. You are all so good for taking time to advise. Thanks x
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    So...

You maintained?

You had fun?

...Could be worse.

Plan, plan, plan. Make the right allowances. See that the last two months have actually been an accomplishment. Remember what you did to lose those 43lbs and get back into those good habits. Stop making excuses (and you know full well you have been sometimes).

Good luck!
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I would be thrilled that i kept the weight off when i was stowed off busy. That's a HUGE NSV in itself. When things get manic for me i do dumb things like jog or bounce about when i do household chores, i dance or jog on the spot if i am stuck slaving in the kitchen. I will also take 5 mins out and run up and down the stairs. Simple little things all add up. Maybe the 5:2 diet will get your weight moving again where u have 2 days out of 5 where u have 600 calories? a few tins of veggie soup a week and will save on the cooking!

Good luck, you will get there x
  • DelilaLightfoot
    Options
    So...

You maintained?

You had fun?

...Could be worse.

Plan, plan, plan. Make the right allowances. See that the last two months have actually been an accomplishment. Remember what you did to lose those 43lbs and get back into those good habits. Stop making excuses (and you know full well you have been sometimes).

Good luck!

Thanks and yes you are so right - I am the worst person for making excuses! Thanks for the support :) Onwards and downwards!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I agree with others here, to have not gained from those busy months is VICTORY! As far as how to stop life from getting in the way, if I told you I would be giving away an idea to make a million dollars by telling others.

Seriously, I think that is the key to this program. You have to make your eating and exercise habits part of life (busy or not) or otherwise the entire concept is not going to work over the long haul. That's going to look different for each of us but, if you got pregnant you would work life around that. This is just as important. If you don't have your health, you don't have anything. Best of luck.
  • DelilaLightfoot
    Options
    I would be thrilled that i kept the weight off when i was stowed off busy. That's a HUGE NSV in itself. When things get manic for me i do dumb things like jog or bounce about when i do household chores, i dance or jog on the spot if i am stuck slaving in the kitchen. I will also take 5 mins out and run up and down the stairs. Simple little things all add up. Maybe the 5:2 diet will get your weight moving again where u have 2 days out of 5 where u have 600 calories? a few tins of veggie soup a week and will save on the cooking!

Good luck, you will get there x

Actually the 5:2 might be a great idea for busy times - have heard lots of good feedback from people. Thanks very much.
  • 20More
    20More Posts: 45
    Options
    Think of not gaining anything these 2 months as a NSV! Don't consider this time as 'wasted'. Realize that you CAN go on with life without gaining weight and as you reflect on this, think about what you all accomplished for work as well as being a good host. If you were running off to the gym, you may not as been as focused as you needed to be for work and your guests may have felt unwelcomed in your home. You have done is proven that no matter what life throws at you, you will not go backwards on your journey to your goals.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    That time was not wasted. You evidently had learned something about yourself or you wouldn't have maintained the way you did. That is far better than I think I would have done.
  • DelilaLightfoot
    Options
    I agree with others here, to have not gained from those busy months is VICTORY! As far as how to stop life from getting in the way, if I told you I would be giving away an idea to make a million dollars by telling others.

Seriously, I think that is the key to this program. You have to make your eating and exercise habits part of life (busy or not) or otherwise the entire concept is not going to work over the long haul. That's going to look different for each of us but, if you got pregnant you would work life around that. This is just as important. If you don't have your health, you don't have anything. Best of luck.

That's so true - I made huge changes to my life when I was pregnant so this is no different - I need to remind myself of that. Thanks for the support x
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I completely know what you mean!
    I sometimes feel like, it would be good if I can stop life for a year or so and just focus on losing weight. But that is not going to happen, and do we want to stop life and just lose weight? We'd probably get bored after a bit.

This way might take you a little longer, but at least its a good journey.

And yes, I second what everyone else has been saying in that it's great that you didn't put anything on over the two months. Just refocus and start again.

Good luck!
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

I think keeping your weight in check is half the battle! Good job!
    BUT... for some tips for a busy life I can def. help you with. I currently work a full time and part time job I work 60+ hours per week and I still have been able to loose 17 lbs. tracking and working out! I dont mean to brag if it comes off that way- I just know a thing or two about being so busy you feel like your head is going to pop off!
    Tip #1: Organized! Stay organized. I dont care how you decide to do it but there are three things that you need to have in check at all times. You need to know what time you plan on working out each week! Schedule it each and every week. I prefer to sit down on saturday and plan my workouts for monday through sunday of the following week. I write them in my planner and they are there. Doesnt mean they are set in stone- they may shift but if they do I make sure to still get the work outs in. Its almost like a reminder to yourself, Make sure you stay accountable to yourself. YOU MATTER. Secondly, know how many times you plan on eating out for the week and have a couple go to meals planned each week. I prefer to prepare on Saturday after grocery shopping. I prepare all lunches for the entire week (I understand that doesnt work when company is over-but having a plan is key) Lastly, Have your gym bag ready in your car at all times for last minute changes to workouts. This has come in handy several times. This way if there are changes to the work out times you are prepared.
    Tip#2: Download MFP ap on your phone and become very familiar with it (if you have not already done so)! This helps keep you prepared for any changes in your day. If an unexpected lunch/coffee date comes up- quick changes are made within seconds!
    Tip#3: Always have a snack or 2 or 3 with you at all times. I know that for me I dont have cravings just as long as I am not hungry. Fruit is perfect as well as cliff/luna bars. There are a million portable snack articles.

Good luck. I have many more tips too- I just figured these are the ones that helped me the most. GOOD LUCK!
    You are worth it.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options

You can't stop life from getting in the way. You just have to let it happen and work around it. This is a lifestyle change so during the rest of your life, life will will happen. It's like a test and there's no time limit. You just keep moving forward. Every time you fall you get back up.

The only real suggestion I have (which I am desparately trying to learn myself) is to try to plan around it. Examples: If you know you are having a social event with more food on the weekend then make your week days at a higher deficit. Plan out exercise before, after, and during the event(s). Plan out what you are going to eat prior to eating out so you can prepare for the calories. Get up early or stay up late to get that bit of exercise in. Fill up on healthy food prior to social events to prevent snacking on junk.

ALSO Keep in mind, maintaining is not failure. You worked very hard to lose that 43lbs and keeping it off is awesome. Even if you never lose another pound, you are still further ahead then you were. Just keep going. Keep planning. Keep trying. Keep living. Have patients it'll come. I am going threw the exact same senario right now. I lost 30 pounds in 4 months and then I have been struggling for 2 months.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I agree with everybody else, that you did really well to maintain at such a busy time. Congrats!

Another suggestion: meal plan, cook the basics ahead of time, and freeze what you can in containers per meal. Move them from the freezer to the fridge 1-2 days before you use them. It saves a lot of time.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I think that you have to find a way of incorporating your 'diet' into life and regarding it more as a permanent lifestyle change rather than a hindrance.

As some others have mentioned, I agree that maintaining your weight when you have people to stay or away or at special events is a good idea, but the minute that's up - the guests have gone, you're back at home you should step back into your weight loss mode. The most successful people I know on here have all fallen off the wagon but have all got STRAIGHT back into it. Calling a bad day, a bad day but making the next one a good day.

Also try to have 2 good meals a day and allow yourself one 'bad' meal a day as this will also help you maintain or lose weight whilst still being able to progress.

Most of the time I can accommodate my calories into any event as I'm quite active (and also now maintaining), but if I have a wedding coming up or a big party, then I will try and save some calories from the days before, and then have a big workout and this normally allows me to let my hair down guilt free. And if I do go mad and overindulge, then I go straight back to normal the next day.

Good luck, it sounds like you have done brilliantly already!