No weight loss after 1 month.

Options
For nearly 4 weeks I have been eating 1200 calories a day or less and I have been going to the gym 3-4 times a week and I still haven't lost anything. Help???

Replies

• yl39343
    yl39343 Posts: 2
    Options
    You probably lost fats and gained muscles that's why your weight remains the same.
  • battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    You probably lost fats and gained muscles that's why your weight remains the same.

this

Very true.

Muscle weighs more than fat.

The number on the scale is kind of insignificant.

What you should be looking at is your body measurements and your bodyfat %.

These are better indicators of how you are getting on
  • elainemorris1982
    elainemorris1982 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    have you done measurements. I always find I lose inches even when my weight stays the same
  • carlos13th
    carlos13th Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You may be gaining muscle which ways more than fat. Try measuring.
  • jadeeatworld182
    Options
    Thank you so much. Well, I made an error and I never measured myself before I started the diet and exercise. But everyone's replies has made me feel a lot better, I'm hoping that this is the case. Does the muscle gain still apply if all I do is cardio at the gym? I don't do any weights?
  • ynaffit777
    ynaffit777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! I was the same way, and finally around the 4th week the weight started to fall off. I started on February 6, 2013 and have lost 22 pounds as of today. Sometimes I think our bodies just need some time to adjust. Additionally, if you only have a few pounds to lose, it takes more time and effort to lose them. Just make sure you are being honest with yourself about really how many calories you are consuming versus burning. I use a heart-rate monitor to judge calories burned, as the machines at the gym and every phone app I have tried, greatly overestimate the number of calories burnt (at least in my case). Good luck!
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    as a wife of a buff i dont think you have gained muscle with cardio, its not that easy to gain muscle especially for woman plus your probably not eating enough to sustain muscle. Check what your eating, and dont eat so little, body likes to hold on to fat so in wont starve. good luck
  • antdogs
    antdogs Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    For nearly 4 weeks I have been eating 1200 calories a day or less and I have been going to the gym 3-4 times a week and I still haven't lost anything. Help???

watch your sodium intake too could hold water.. are you drinking alot of water too?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Exceptional people gain muscle on calorie deficit (very overweight/obese, returning athlete after long layoff, newbie who's never trained before) and even then it's minimal at most.

I'll bet more that it's lack of consistency of eating and that you have very little to lose. Unsure since I don't know your stats.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Do your clothes fit differently? Do you see changes in the mirror? These are better gauges of progress than the scale. Keep up the good work!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

This....is ....virtually....impossible, especially at a caloric deficit.

A champion body builder isn't going to gain enough muscle in a month for it to effect the scale.
  • jadeeatworld182
    Options
    I drink around 2-4L of water a day, plus 2-3 mugs of green tea as well.
  • jadeeatworld182
    Options
    My stats are I am 22 years old, i weigh 10st 11lbs (151lbs), and I am 5"3 height. I am wanting to be around 9 - 9.5 stone (133lbs). I'm eating 1200 calories a day or less, and I'm burning around 300 calories each time I go to the gym which is usually 3 times a week.

Thank you every one for your replies. I am appreciating all the help.
  • blumbard
    blumbard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the later posts. I don't have that much weight to lose and when I was only working out a few times a week I saw no changes even with a 1200 cal intake. People told me the same thing about gaining muscle and I knew that couldn't be true. I have to work out everyday with cardio AND I've been doing a 10 min trainer every day. My cardio mostly consists of walking because I can't do much more than that. I have lost 4 lbs in a week... no kidding. I just started really working hard. I am a teacher and it is easy for me now to get up every morning and walk. Keep working at it but maybe step up your cardio and do some sort of weight training. I LOVE 10 min trainer by Tony Horton but you can find some videos on youtube that are good too. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    My stats are I am 22 years old, i weigh 10st 11lbs (151lbs), and I am 5"3 height. I am wanting to be around 9 - 9.5 stone (133lbs). I'm eating 1200 calories a day or less, and I'm burning around 300 calories each time I go to the gym which is usually 3 times a week.

1504 is your BMR which means if you did absolutely nothing all day but sit on the couch, that's how much you burn. Include exercise and regular daily routine and you're probably around 2000 calories TDEE minimum (don't know what your daily routine is). So you're probably undereating a little. Try eat at least your BMR.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jadeeatworld182
    Options
    I go on the exercise bike for 30 minutes on random, and I run on the treadmill for 15-20 minutes. I will start eating more calories.
    Thank you.
  • jadeeatworld182
    Options
    I go on the exercise bike for 30 minutes on random, and I run on the treadmill for 15-20 minutes (3 times a week). And 5 days of the work I am the majority of the time on my feet as I work in a shop where I serve customers food all day long so I am never sat down until late in the evening. I will start eating my BMR. Thank you so much for the help.
  • NathanielUK
    NathanielUK Posts: 61 Member
    Options

this

Very true.

Muscle weighs more than fat.

The number on the scale is kind of insignificant.

What you should be looking at is your body measurements and your bodyfat %.

These are better indicators of how you are getting on

This is all the info you need.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

1504 is your BMR which means if you did absolutely nothing all day but sit on the couch, that's how much you burn. Include exercise and regular daily routine and you're probably around 2000 calories TDEE minimum (don't know what your daily routine is). So you're probably undereating a little. Try eat at least your BMR.

IDEA Fitness member
    please.. listen to this dude.
    disregard any of the "OMG UR gaining musCEL!" posts that will flood threads like these. With your stats, I'm definitely with the folks that are saying you should be eating more.

Do it. Eat more. Be patient with it. Give it 4-6 more weeks. Also, if you're eating 1200 calories, I'm willing to bet you signed up... said you were sedentary.. and wanted to lose 2lbs per week. You know, it's faster that way.. right? Problem is, you don't have that much to lose, so going at it too aggressively won't help... and in all likelihood, you won't lose at all.
  • stephanie8625
    stephanie8625 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump