Silica for Skin/Hair/Nails

bzign
bzign Posts: 41 Member
Has anyone had any success with supplementing Silica to help with skin hair and nails - its the main ingredient in all those expensive formulas, was wondering if it was helpful.

If so I am off to buy horsetail herbal tea as its a cheap source :-)

Replies

• tamtambambam1985
    tamtambambam1985 Posts: 3 Member
    Your supposed to use it for 6 months atleast to get the full effects... i used it for 3 and i did notice my hair a bit thicker, nails not so much. But at 30 bucks a bottle/month supply, i just found it too $$ for the benefits i was getting out of it!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Your supposed to use it for 6 months atleast to get the full effects... i used it for 3 and i did notice my hair a bit thicker, nails not so much. But at 30 bucks a bottle/month supply, i just found it too $$ for the benefits i was getting out of it!

This is about what my experience was too. High quality silica purchased either at a reputable health food store or on the internet is pricey for the incremental results.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I experienced stress related hair loss. So, just to be on the safe side I took silica for 6 months. I stopped for two months. In 2 months from now I will be facing the stressor again (that caused the hair loss), so I decided to take it again until then as a precaution (but not everyday). My hair did grow back in, very thick and healthy in a large quantity. However, I am sure that my hair would have grown back in, even if I had not taken the silica. So, I do not know or think it really helps that much (as others have mentioned). I also started taking a multivitamin, increased my iron under doctor supervision (I was not anemic), and took biotin and other b vitamins (in my multi). So, these were other factors that were present. All of this was precautionary. It was clearly established by my doctor that the hair loss was stress related (it was a very serious type of stress). I had other issues from the stress. And all my blood work was healthy and normal.

I have learned how to manage my stress better.

Also, when I was taking the silica, I did notice that my nails became very very strong. Just an extra side benefit. Didn't really matter to me.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    A word of warning to anybody taking Silica or about to take it, Silica has the ability to remove foreign matter from the body, it should not be used for extended periods on anybody that has implants or foreign objects in their body, such as pacemakers or replaced hips.

Silica is, however a great anti-stress Tissue Salt, just be careful if you have the above though.