Using up Branston pickle?

Options
mazdauk
mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
I accidentally bought the "wrong" Branston - I normally get the squeezy one with tiny chunks and use it to "stick" my sandwiches together, but I bought a jar of original instead. Its too chunky to "spread", and actually the big lumps gross me out :ohwell:

Does anyone have a good recipe using up this pickle? I sort of feel I want to pour it over a lump of pork in the slow cooker, but I think it might make the house smell like a pickle factory:tongue:

I don't want to just throw it away because I'm tight like that. The only other option is to sneak it into my son's Uni house fridge and hope someone else uses it up:laugh:

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Blend it up... Hey presto - small chunks! :laugh:
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Waah I love Branston pickle. Please send to Indooroopilly, Brisbane.
  • mazdauk
    Options
    Blend it up... Hey presto - small chunks! :laugh:

Don't think I could get my stick blender in the top of the jar :wink:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You COULD scoop it out of the jar first....

I love it mixed with grated cheese as a sandwich filler.

I think it would work well in a sweet and sour dish, maybe add a good blob to a stirfry?
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I LOVE branston pickle! I stick it in everything beans on toast with egg prob my fav then salads, burgers, ulster fries, have even been known to just mix a table spoon through a bowl of Heinz spaghetti haha :D
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    http://www.picturebritain.com/2013/02/branston-pickle.html

12 things to do with Branston pickle.
  • mazdauk
    Options
    Any more?
  • BernardandMissBianca
    BernardandMissBianca Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Alright Mazda, I'll bite. What is a Branston pickle?
  • mazdauk
    Options
    Click the link on agellore's post. Its a condiment us Brits put in cheese sadnwiches, a mixture of vegetables in a sweet yet vinegary sauce. I like the small chunk (squeezy) version but bought a big chunk (jar) one by mistake. If you google "Branston recipe" you get branston-type recipes instead of actual recipes using Branston!
  • scrttwtt
    scrttwtt Posts: 30
    Options
    If you do anything other than eating it straight out of the jar with a spoon, then you've already lost me ;)
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you do anything other than eating it straight out of the jar with a spoon, then you've already lost me ;)

LOL this!! ^^^ I am so glad I am not the only one - or spread straight on to cheese for an extra treat!
  • mazdauk
    Options
    I put a couple of tsps into my slow-cooker meatballs in tomato sauce yesterday and hubby said it was the best sauce ever.

So today there's a large dollop resting on my pulled pork (well its currently still a joint, but you get what I mean) which is also in the slow cooker.:smile:

I do love my slow cooker, especially when its hot. Or cold.:bigsmile:
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love Branston Pickle sandwiches, Yummy

I would add it to any tomato based sauce to give it a bit of zing
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Can of tuna, spoonful of light mayo (or even greek yogurt), and a spoonful of Branston pickle. Tuna salad for sandwiches or put it on a salad of greens. You could also add a chopped boiled egg. Great... now I want tuna salad.