Kick up the backside required!!

Options
Some months ago I realised I had been on a diet for my whole adult life! When I say diet I mean some kind of Registered Trademark diet, with mixed success. Over the last year or so the weight has crept on to a point where at 5'5'' I was weighing in at 181lb. I have never (even at that size) had a particularly bad body image - I lean towards the point of view that if it bothers you, dont look, I am happy!

However I did know that previously having been 133lb I had felt much better in myself.... although probably no more fit or healthy - just slimmer! So, after some considerable soul searching at the grand old age of 37 I realised that this time I need to get fit! I dont want to alter what I eat in any extreme way (I am a wicked* cook and love cooking for large groups at my house!) but I need to alter how I eat it, portion size and balanced etc.and I need to once and for all be that person that can work out regularly and confidently!

I booked myself on a week long residential bootcamp (not for the light hearted). Before going I started to up my water intake and eat healthier so that my starting weight on arrival was 175lb. The purpose of such extreme measures was to build up my fitness levels quickly in order that I had the confidence to train knowing I wasnt going to pass out in public! I also wanted to remind myself that I enjoy both being and indeed, getting fit!

The bootcamp had the desired effect and worked almost like going to rehab in that it stripped me right back and built me back up again in terms of attitudes to food and fitness.

I returned at the beginning of June and promptly secured a PT once per week, signed up to a high intensity class once a week, invested in a HRM, and the insanity DVD's and committed to running a 10k for charity in a couple of weeks.. I have been training on average 5 days per week and have dropped further to 165lb. The weightloss itself is of no concern to me (but being female I just cant bring myself to throw those scales out!) the difference in my body shape has been amazing, I am starting to see my fat melt and the beginnings of a flat stomach (still a long way to go but the shape is there and the bloating has gone!) Right now I am more obsessed with my change in body composition and the definition of muscles in my arms and legs (loving the new calves on my legs they are looking perfect!) The fat is disappearing from my legs and upper body but my mid section is taking time but I am assured that patience is the key!

My issue is probably my concern about slipping into my old ways! the last two days I have not trained. I had to take an anthistamine to combat some quite heavy hayfever symptoms! it knocked me out for nearly two days and I have sat at home with no energy to train. I sat and spoke to myself and tried to convince myself to get up and at the very least do 30 minutes on the static bike just to get my heartrate going. But I didnt do it! I convinced myself not to. This morning I have woken up and realised that the last two days have scared me about how easy it is to slip back intol old habits and how quickly I can forget how amazing working out makes me feel!

I need some tips for those days when I really cannot be bothered - even though I know all the reasons I should - but manage to talk myself out of it!

I am feeling more motivated today and will go to my class tonight and I hope that the high intensity nature of it spurs me on a bit more! But does anyone have any tips as to how to handle it if I get one of those days again??? Even though I am seeing really good results I still have a CBA day!! Grrrr! help!!

*even if I do say so myself

Replies

• chipingirl
    Options
    First off congratulations on your awesome commitment and results! You lit a fire under your feet, but it sounds like now you've either acclimated to the heat or the fire needs stoking. We've all been there! Your hayfever drugs were probably part of it, but when I am facing this kind of resistance to exercise, what helps to remember is the way you feel after a workout - have you ever worked out and then felt sorry you did it? Have you ever regretted working out? I almost ALWAYS feel better after a work out.

What I suggest to you is to make yourself at least START! Promise yourself you will do ten minutes worth of your workout - you said you tried to make yourself do 30 minutes, but couldn't. Well maybe 30 minutes was too big a bite - that old "how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!" Take a small bite - make yourself do just 10-minutes, and I bet once you get going, you can make yourself do 10-more minutes! If you REALLY can't get past 10-minutes, then maybe you do need a break, but I would not go more than 2-days!!! Please try this. Don't backslide! You've come way too far. And aren't you sick and tired of the yo yo?
    Sounds like this was a wake up call for you. Stay vigilent! you can do it!
  • alisam567
    alisam567 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First off congratulations on your awesome commitment and results! You lit a fire under your feet, but it sounds like now you've either acclimated to the heat or the fire needs stoking. We've all been there! Your hayfever drugs were probably part of it, but when I am facing this kind of resistance to exercise, what helps to remember is the way you feel after a workout - have you ever worked out and then felt sorry you did it? Have you ever regretted working out? I almost ALWAYS feel better after a work out.

What I suggest to you is to make yourself at least START! Promise yourself you will do ten minutes worth of your workout - you said you tried to make yourself do 30 minutes, but couldn't. Well maybe 30 minutes was too big a bite - that old "how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!" Take a small bite - make yourself do just 10-minutes, and I bet once you get going, you can make yourself do 10-more minutes! If you REALLY can't get past 10-minutes, then maybe you do need a break, but I would not go more than 2-days!!! Please try this. Don't backslide! You've come way too far. And aren't you sick and tired of the yo yo?
    Sounds like this was a wake up call for you. Stay vigilent! you can do it!

Thank you - I know in myself I have come too far to stop now - two days rest is far too long for me I think and yesterday being completely void of energy made me feel worse - with hindsight I should have got on that bike and done 10 mins as you suggest! I have done that before telling myself only ten minutes then doing an hour of intense intervals! Thank you! I will try the 10 minute bite size chunks for those days from now on! Weekends are never a problem as I do about four hours over the weekend and love love love it! it seems my 'bad days' are work days!!
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a break and set yourself an easier target like 3 workouts a week instead of 5. On the days you don't workout commit fully to staying within your calorie goal or go for a nice walk to earn a few more and keep your fitness moving.

5 days a week is a lot to keep up to, some days I really can't be bothered, some days life responsibilities get in the way of my best laid plans! It's fine, there's no point stressing about it, just make the adjustments you need to for the day.

Good luck with your new lifestyle - you're no longer on a diet :)
  • alisam567
    Options
    Give yourself a break and set yourself an easier target like 3 workouts a week instead of 5. On the days you don't workout commit fully to staying within your calorie goal or go for a nice walk to earn a few more and keep your fitness moving.

5 days a week is a lot to keep up to, some days I really can't be bothered, some days life responsibilities get in the way of my best laid plans! It's fine, there's no point stressing about it, just make the adjustments you need to for the day.

Good luck with your new lifestyle - you're no longer on a diet :)

Thank you - I am loving the not 'dieting' thing! it means no guilt when I do treat myself! I am already doing 500% more exercise than I did before so I deserve my treats!! As for limiting myself to 3 workouts per week - unfortunately I know myself well enough to know that I cannot do that! I need to make it a habit - although of the five a week some are less intense than others - I tend to push it on a weekend but less intense workouts through the week,, unless I am feeling particularly energetic then I have a run as well!
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    great! keep it up then - you know what you need to do! the 'just do 10 minutes' sounds like a great plan - it works for me too, it invariably turns into at least 50 minutes!
  • alisam567
    Options
    I love that feeling the most! when you really CBA, and you just do a bit and end up having one of the best workouts!!
  • NSMustanggirl
    NSMustanggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    First of all - don't beat yourself up too much! You've made a huge commitment and from the sounds of it, have been living up to it with the exception of the last 2 days.

If you truly feel like you are sliding back into your old ways, my mantra is this... The first time I let me self do/eat something I know I shouldn't be doing/eating will make it SOOOO much easier to give in the next time temptation rears it's ugly head! It's made me make that extra effort to work out or to not have that ice cream on many occassions!
  • anneshackellcarroll
    Options
    I usually ask myself "What would the Anne who wants to be fit and lose weight do right now?" Because it's that 'other Anne' that wants to not do the exercise. It helps to create a mental shift. And I agree - once I get started, it's easy to do.