Are soft drinks/pop really OK?

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    People who say sodas are good for you are still fat. Theres so many drinks available - get off the sodas!

A. Quote one person who said they're good for you.

B. I'm not fat. I drink soda. Your statement is invalid.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I was never trying to be rude, but more informative. I guess as someone who pretty much stopped having sugary drinks from the age of 12, I can't quite comprehend the obsession, especially when there is all this worrying research appearing publicly. I am simply trying to help inform... yes I come across as *****y, but hey that is just who I am. I guess something that has studies pointing that it is possibly a worry for your health being defended seems strange to me. It is like if I defended my chocolate eating habit - I usually try to fit it in my cals, but no where have I read it is possible linked to cancer, brain damage (some people susceptible with soda) as well as MS-like symptoms (sorry I can't link rn, ask google).

All for moderation, but I guess as someone who isn't American, I find it somewhat amusing how much Americans defend having such enormous cups of empty calories. Yes it is your life and all, but considering America (my country Aus isn't far behind) is having more health problems and if I recall correctly, a decreasing life expectancy for women, perhaps there should be restrictions on these drinks like there are cigarettes and alcohol? For large quantities available there in a 'single serving' that is.

I don't think you came across as rude, I think people just love being anonymously rude on the internet. This is why I never post on forums anymore. I get insulted more than I get any actual help. Smart@$$es just aggravate me. If they don't like my question, they don't have to post on it,but they always seem to be the majority of my replies. *sigh* I love soda,but I'm not going to defend it, I don't know about cancer causing chemicals, it's actually the first that I have heard of it. However, I am currently looking for acceptable alternatives to soda because drinking it makes me feel sluggish. I appreciate your post. It's very informative.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    When ever I come on MFP and see the Soda/Pop Tart/Carb wars I get annoyed because I think a lot of people on this site give crappy eating advice, especially in regards to carb consumption. It like drug addicts telling you that doing drugs in moderation is "just fine"...yeah except you are a drug addict buddy!

The philosophy around here is "Eat what ever you want and as long as you are in a calorie deficit it is ok".
    Bull#

Anyone 30 lbs over weight or more is dealing with clinical pre-diabetes. That means your body no longer processes carbs (any carbs, not just the simple ones) properly and unless you get a handle on eating them you are on your way to full blown diabetes. You can say that it is not cause by over indulging in carbs, but what else is it when people who eat the same calorie intake in fat and protein DO NOT gain weight (aka Atkins) and they control blood sugar (don't get diabetes or metabolic resistance).

I am not going to waste my time with listing websites because I have probably posted at least 3 solid scientific articles in the last six months regarding this issue and no matter what is written people want their carb drugs here. It is like loading a gun and pointing at yourself and thinking, hey I can just pull the trigger and nothing will happen...stupid is as stupid does.

So you can have the Pop Tart, the Soda or the WHATEVER the carb drug you want. Keep your head in the sand, and as long as you lose weight you will be ok...

Yeah what ever. I will hate on the Pop Tarts, because in the end they are crap.

My advice? Do some research and get healthy, not just thin. An occasional goody is ok, but living on daily soda or any junk carb is asking for a life long battle with a disease (diabetes) that is not just on the rise in this country but an epidemic...(mostly because of people living in denial).
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    When ever I come on MFP and see the Soda/Pop Tart/Carb wars I get annoyed because I think a lot of people on this site give crappy eating advice, especially in regards to carb consumption. It like drug addicts telling you that doing drugs in moderation is "just fine"...yeah except you are a drug addict buddy!

The philosophy around here is "Eat what ever you want and as long as you are in a calorie deficit it is ok".
    Bull#

Anyone 30 lbs over weight or more is dealing with clinical pre-diabetes. That means your body no longer processes carbs (any carbs, not just the simple ones) properly and unless you get a handle on eating them you are on your way to full blown diabetes. You can say that it is not cause by over indulging in carbs, but what else is it when people who eat the same calorie intake in fat and protein DO NOT gain weight (aka Atkins) and they control blood sugar (don't get diabetes or metabolic resistance).

I am not going to waste my time with listing websites because I have probably posted at least 3 solid scientific articles in the last six months regarding this issue and no matter what is written people want their carb drugs here. It is like loading a gun and pointing at yourself and thinking, hey I can just pull the trigger and nothing will happen...stupid is as stupid does.

So you can have the Pop Tart, the Soda or the WHATEVER the carb drug you want. Keep your head in the sand, and as long as you lose weight you will be ok...

My advice? Do some research and get healthy, not just thin. An occasional goody is ok, but living on daily soda or any junk carb is asking for a life long battle with a disease (diabetes) that is not just on the rise in this country but an epidemic...(mostly because of people living in denial).

Wow.

:huh:
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    no...none...even diet....none of the above.
  • salydra
    salydra Posts: 29
    Options
    As a general rule, people on MFP don't care about health, just weight. There are exceptions, but that's the general culture here.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of shoes that have the may cause cancer label on them .. I try not to chew on them to much
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I live in Alabama. One day I look to the back of latex gloves that I use for work and it said..' Known to cause cancer in the state of California."

It got my mind thinking: What about the other 49 states?

Point being: California is one back wards state. Love it but I wouldn't want to move there.

no but see, this is my point. i think california is doing it right. a thing, whatever thing, is shown in some study to cause cancer. so you tell the people about it, and allow them to make informed decisions for themselves. in alabama they dont tell you that exposure to a thing can be bad for you, and this not telling the people is a good thing? california is not telling you not to use gloves, california is telling you to use your brain and make an informed decision.

Than you should live your life in a bubble. Because I can step out of my front door and get run over by a dam car.

Stop worrying and start living.
  • ajayner85
    ajayner85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Love this SaraSmilesCA! I do think people are in denial, and a lot of the time don't quite realize that carbs do not ONLY make you gain weight... they can mess with blood sugar/insulin production and a lot of other things! I don't completely deprive myself of carbs, but I limit my intake of processed sugars to about 300cals once a week. So, basically, I'll have a reasonable dessert every Saturday, but stay away from most sugars throughout the week. If people are wondering why they often plateau after losing the first 5lbs, it's because our glycogen stores (basically readily-available sugar-based energy) cause our bodies to hold about 5lbs of extra water, which is necessary for the use of that energy.

When you lower or deplete glycogen stores by reducing carb (sugar) intake, your body releases that water... BUT you don't burn ANY fat until your glycogen has been depleted. Burning fat takes more energy that getting rid of glycogen/water, so weight loss often seems to stall while your body is adjusting to the new method of energy expenditure! Every time you drink a pop, you basically do a one-off replacement of your glycogen... causing the process to start all over.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Saying soda is good for you in moderation is like saying cocaine is good for you in moderation.
    Lol, how many people have been determined to die by soda overdose?:laugh: Or get paranoia from it?:laugh: Or steal from their families or loved ones because they HAVE to have it?:laugh:

FAIL

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I sell my body for coke zero
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I cant understand the obsession with soft drinks anyway,ok the odd time its fine,whats wrong with a glass of water if you are thirsty?I dont know never got into soft drinks much as kids so didnt develop the taste!

I love them,and, when I don't have Mountain Dew for a while, I feel like I'm going to crawl out of my skin. I don't drink them every day. I may go a week or so without them,but then I feel like I absolutely have to have one. Earlier this week, I made a trip to the store just to buy a soda. While I was standing there looking at them, I thought,"This is ridiculous." I drink plenty of tea,and,when I'm not drinking soda, I intake a good amount of water. According to some forum posts I have read, water "isn't necessary" and apparently you can count soda as a serving of water. I'm rolling my eyes here. I agree with you, what's wrong with just having a cup of water as a serving of water? If you don't like the taste, there are tons of ways to improve it. Geez, you could just chug it! I don't have children yet,but I have already made the decision not to give them soda. I don't see a need for it.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    People who say sodas are good for you are still fat. Theres so many drinks available - get off the sodas!

This is completely inaccurate. Many non-overweight people drink soda.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options

Bull#

Lol, I guess Asia is screwed because all them noodles (processed carb) then.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Love this SaraSmilesCA! I do think people are in denial, and a lot of the time don't quite realize that carbs do not ONLY make you gain weight... they can mess with blood sugar/insulin production and a lot of other things! I don't completely deprive myself of carbs, but I limit my intake of processed sugars to about 300cals once a week. So, basically, I'll have a reasonable dessert every Saturday, but stay away from most sugars throughout the week. If people are wondering why they often plateau after losing the first 5lbs, it's because our glycogen stores (basically readily-available sugar-based energy) cause our bodies to hold about 5lbs of extra water, which is necessary for the use of that energy.

When you lower or deplete glycogen stores by reducing carb (sugar) intake, your body releases that water... BUT you don't burn ANY fat until your glycogen has been depleted. Burning fat takes more energy that getting rid of glycogen/water, so weight loss often seems to stall while your body is adjusting to the new method of energy expenditure! Every time you drink a pop, you basically do a one-off replacement of your glycogen... causing the process to start all over.
    Lol, and you should know that the MAJORITY of fat burn is at rest and not while exercising. You burn more fat sleeping that you would doing a couple of hours of exercise. BUT you need a calorie deficit for it to happen.
    While you're not incorrect on your summary, you aren't as versed on how fat loss actually happens.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ajayner85
    Options

Lol, and you should know that the MAJORITY of fat burn is at rest and not while exercising. You burn more fat sleeping that you would doing a couple of hours of exercise. BUT you need a calorie deficit for it to happen.
    While you're not incorrect on your summary, you aren't as versed on how fat loss actually happens.

IDEA Fitness member

Um, what? I am fully aware of all the things you just said. What on earth does that have to do with the point I made? Of course you need a calorie deficit! And of course most of your calorie burning happens "at rest" (though of course your body is never really at rest). People generally burn 1500-3000 calories per day without doing any exercise at all. But if you're eating your calories in processed sugars, your body has a much harder time switching into fat-burning mode than if you're eating low-GI complex carbohydrates. Why would your body burn any fat when you're feeding it pure fuel? You will still lose weight if you're under your calories, but if you're having too much sugar and not enough protein, a good portion of that could be muscle loss. Not ideal.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Um, what? I am fully aware of all the things you just said. What on earth does that have to do with the point I made? Of course you need a calorie deficit! And of course most of your calorie burning happens "at rest" (though of course your body is never really at rest). People generally burn 1500-3000 calories per day without doing any exercise at all. But if you're eating your calories in processed sugars, your body has a much harder time switching into fat-burning mode than if you're eating low-GI complex carbohydrates. Why would your body burn any fat when you're feeding it pure fuel? You will still lose weight if you're under your calories, but if you're having too much sugar and not enough protein, a good portion of that could be muscle loss. Not ideal.

Because if you're in a deficit by definition you are not eating enough glucose, forcing your body to burn some fat to make up the difference.
  • ajayner85
    Options
    Not true, your daily calorie intake is supposed to be at most 55% carbohydrates. If you're eating high-sugar foods INSTEAD of protein, you'll be losing muscle instead of fat.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    So, I have been against soft drinks for years now... and there are some avid, soft drink supporters on this site.

There's a difference between supporters and people who fight against fallacies. I don't drink pop (soda of the silly billies) and therefore wouldn't be a supporter. I just tend not to be afraid of something that's not there.
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    so many "experts" on these message boards!
    if people want to drink soda, pop, or whatever you call it then it is up to them.
  • ajayner85
    Options
    so many "experts" on these message boards!
    if people want to drink soda, pop, or whatever you call it then it is up to them.

Nobody on here has claimed to be an expert, and everyone agrees it is a choice - everything is a choice. Joining MFP is a choice too, and taking the advice of others is another choice. Eating processed sugar is your prerogative, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. I'm not perfect, and I don't have a flawless diet... But drinking the equivalent of 10 tsps of sugar is not a choice I will make while trying to be healthy.