Body Pump and HRM?

Options
I just got a FitBit, but I saw on the forum it doesn't track calories well during Body Pump. Most people posted wearing a heart rate monitor is the best way. My question is how do you factor the calories by wearing a HRM? I have a Garmin with a heart rate monitor, but I only wear it to run....I have no idea how to see calories and heart rate for non-running activities

Replies

• sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I noticed that my heart rate falls a lot during any of the non-standing tracks (ex: chest, triceps) and that makes my overall reported calorie burn much lower. I'm 5'4, 143 lbs, 28 year old female and typically burn between 300-400 during a 60 minute pump class according to my polar f4. For reference I squat w/ 40 lbs and weight varies accordingly on the other tracks.

I've stopped wearing my HRM during pump and just report it as a flat 300 cals whenever I go. I find wearing the watch while lifting to be a bit annoying.
  • toxoplasmagondi
    toxoplasmagondi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Most of Body Pump isn't aerobic steady state exercise so a HRM isn't going to give you an accurate measure anyway. It's more for building muscle endurance than calorie burn.