Struggling to eat the calories

Options
maQmIgh
maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
Hi all,

I'm new to this website, but have been using the app continuously for 2 weeks now.

I grew up in a single parent family and as such have been used to making my own meals since a very young age (not the healthiest of meals). I have always eaten when I felt hungry (which sometimes was days between meals).
As I hit my 30's the lack of any suitable, regular meals has taken its toll and I have gained weight.

When I first started using this app, I kept the settings as standard (which suggested eating 1200 calories per day). I have now realised that for the majority of my life my body has been living in 'starvation mode' as i struggle to eat 800/900 calories each day (I have never felt tired or lethargic on the calories I've been eating).

since looking into more information, I have worked out my BMR/TDEE:

I am:
32yrs old
171lbs
5 foot 5 inches
Female
and very light exercise 2/3 times a week

My BMR comes back as: 1553.95
an my TDEE comes back as: 2124

Has anyone else had any issues with struggling to eat the required calories (in regards to not eating enough rather than eating too much)?
If so, could anyone give me some advice on how I can finally get the sufficient number of calories into my system without feeling like I'm way too full.

Apologies for the essay, and many thanks for your help.

:)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, cook with oil, avocado, higher calorie meat like steak or lamb, higher calorie fish like salmon, and the odd doughnut if you have hit your macros wont hurt either!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    There are lots of healthy foods that pack a calorie punch. Peanut butter is one of them. 2 tablespoons for around 200 calories...slather it on a piece of toast and have some protein with it (like bacon, yum!) and you have just added about 500 or more calories to the day without feeling way too full. Nuts, avocado, and other healthy fats are like this too. Or cheese. Add cheese to your veggies. :flowerforyou:
  • toxifloxi
    toxifloxi Posts: 2
    Options
    Nuts and cheese.
    Nuts (f.e. almonds) provide healthy fat.
    Cheese tastes very good and is calorie-dense.
    Just be sure to measure everything, you can go over the top with those very quickly.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is not the right term. You have caused metobolic damage. We won't get on about specific words though.

Your body is used to the low calorie intake that you have been doing. If you want to "reset" then you will want to take it slow. Set your calorie intake to the correct number that you now understand you should be eating. Then slowly work yourself up to eating that number. You can add 100 calories to your daily intake each week or two. However you feel comfortable doing it. It will take some time but if you just stick to it it will work. You may even see some initial weight gain but after you correct the damage done to your metobolic rate then you will lose as anyone else would. Be patient and continue to educate yourself. Your doing great.

Peanut butter, almond butter, almost all kinds of nuts, Avacado. Healthy ways to add quick calories to your day.
  • maQmIgh
    Options
    :D

Thank you all very much for that advice... I'm always up for diving into nuts and cheese :)

I appreciate all the help :)
  • Ivanhoemum
    Options
    Bump
  • ShengHuo
    ShengHuo Posts: 42
    Options
    I also struggle to eat enough. I recently had juice suggested to me on here. So far it's working; I replace one of my waters with a glass of juice every day so it's an extra 100ish calories (and some vitamins). Full fat dairy is a good way as well; same nutrients but more calories and I don't notice myself being fuller. You can also moved to some sauteed vegetables versus steamed (try green beans or broccoli with bacon.) Don't buy low-calorie salad dressings, or low-calorie versions of anything. I add a bit of honey to my tea more often, and try to go for half and half or cream in my coffee instead of milk.

And since I started eating peanut butter the last three weeks I'm a lot closer to my calorie goals!
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with the diet or low fat foods either - they compensate for taking the fat (and flavour) out by adding sugar & various chemicals usually - eat the good versions.

I have no problems meeting my goals - 1500/day currently - I started on 1200 same as most do, but gradually increased my calorie intake as the weight dropped. I see it as helping ease into maintenance once I get to goal.
  • maQmIgh
    Options
    Many thanks Lady and Sheng,
    I will be taking a deep look into my diet and see if I can incorporate everyone adivce into it :)
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    As someone mentioned if you like butters such as peanut butter that is definitely a way forwards...I often find it difficult to stomach a handful of nights (though if I add in raisins or something I find them easier to eat) but peanut butter on the other hand...

It bumps a low calorie snack like an apple (50 - 70 cals) up to 240 or so cals if you have 2 tablespoons worth of peanut butter with it.

I don't know what your eating 'regime' is but I can sometimes struggle with eating big meals so I spread my food out....I can have 4+ snacks a day some days.

Keep snacking! Good luck.
  • guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. I drink my glass of juice just about every morning 100 cals plus some vitamins! 1 oz of cheese is about 110, harboiled egg is about 70. Peanut butter with a sliced apple is the bomb!

Eat full fat everything, and the other crap tastes like garbage I think. Our bodies need the good fats, helps with absorbtion of vitamins and minerals. (especially if you have been undereating for so long, you need to replenish the stores)

Cottage cheese with carrots, snap peas, etc. is great as a snack. Hummas made with real olive oil with sliced veggie or crackers. So is peanut butter on a slice of bread. Not too 'filling' so you won't feel stuffed is the way to go I think?

Keep snacking...I have to have my snacks to reach my calorie goals for the day most days. I can't eat big heavy full meals anymore, my stomach will rebel :)

And I did see some initial weight gain once I upped my calories (and I see a Registered Dietician) but after a few months of getting them all in, the weight just left. So don't get discouraged.:flowerforyou:
  • maQmIgh
    Options
    Many thanks guido, that was very helpful :)
    Xx
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Sounds familiar. I'm your height and have lost enough that 1200 cals is my base goal. I however have little difficulty eating 1200+ and almost always eat back any exercise cals. Because I am a light exerciser at best.
    I just don't eat the cals back if I'm not hungry and I don't worry about it. Simple solution.
    That said, my cals are from pretty clean eating as has been suggested by several posters already. I think that's the key, really.
    Good luck in your journey!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with the diet or low fat foods either - they compensate for taking the fat (and flavour) out by adding sugar & various chemicals usually - eat the good versions.
    Totally agree. It's not just calories in -- it's quality calories in that counts.
  • perfectlyimperfectturk
    Options
    Why're you struggling with weight if you're struggling with eating enough food? Sounds like a paradox.

If I was eating under 1000 calories a day, I'd be losing weight like nobodies business but thankfully I'm not doing that because it's unhealthy and because I'm incapable of going anything below 1500. I even have a hard time sticking with 1500...man oh man.
  • fillydasilva92
    fillydasilva92 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat although I guess MFP goes by your target of 2lb a week. I struggle with it, even eating a lot of fruit still doesn't add up.
  • maQmIgh
    Options
    I would say that the original struggle was education (I made my own meals when I was pre teens, I wouldn't know a healthy meal if it jumped up and bit me on the a**e. so I had crisps (chips to those from the US) white bread, white rice and anything I could microwave... Oh, and all the coca cola I could drink. The more sugar in the ingredients, the more likely it would appear on my plate (it tasted better) :)

Then when I started working I couldn't be bothered to make meals, so McDonald's or KFC it was (technically that gave correct calories, but we all know how good they are for you)
    As I wasn't introduced to healthy food as a child (eg; fish, brown bread etc) as an adult, I don't like the taste of them so they turn my stomach (just the smell of brown bread makes me nauseous)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming anyone but myself... But now that I've decided to turn things around, it's the education I've been struggling with (common sense says drop the calories and u drop the weight, but every time I tried the weight went up) it becomes very frustrating for me when I don't understand why something isn't doing what it should :)

Hence I'm here to learn and improve on the good things I eat, and reduce the bad things I eat :)
  • maQmIgh
    Options
    bump