WEIGHTLOSS AND LOW-BACK PAIN

Options
MeIShouldB
MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
So, before I started losing weight I didn't have low-back pain. But now I am 36 pounds down and OUCH. My theory is that when I had more stomach it caused lordosis (aka swayback) which is like imagine standing to the side and it''s like bottom of your spine curves inward (happens alot with pregnancy). But now that I am not as heavy in that area my low back is straightening out some and it's causing me discomfort. Sounds reasonable to me. Anybody else having this issue?

Replies

• MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    try some lower back stretches, as I have improved my core and strengthen my leg and back muscles, they are a little tighter, I found stretching them out daily has helped.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    or it could be that you need to strengthen your core.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Mine is from losing the muscle in my back
  • SALSACHICA1
    SALSACHICA1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am having this issue too but I thought mine was from a nerve that is being pinched.
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I suffered with severe lower back pain due to injury when I was a child.. Core exercises removed all the pain that my Chiropractor said would re-occur for the rest of my life... Would definitely recommend it.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It feels like the vertebrae in my low back are bunched up. (Sounds weird, I know)
  • suzannnicole
    suzannnicole Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have you also been exercising? You might be doing one of your moves slightly wrong. I have found that when I do yoga too much, my lower back hurts, so i am probably doing something wrong.

I also had a sway back! It can be fixed and/or significantly reduced by regularly stretching your hip flexors. Try some lunges, hold, keep torso upright, and lean back a little. Hold for 10 breaths each side, or as long as you can to give time for the tightness to open.

Try this experiment to check for swayed back (to see how much it is swayed)- Stand against a wall with butt and shoulders touching the wall. Put hand between wall and lower back. There should only be a couple of inches there. Try this experiment before and after the lunges to see what a difference they make.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Can you touch the floor without bending your knees? If not, then tight hamstrings may be the issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I had low back problems and hip problems so painful after I lost the weight and I went o the chiropractor and a PT, said my core was too weak etc..but nothing helped! Finally did some research online and found several stretches that I now do religiously and it worked and I am pain free!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of muscle issues as I became more active after 30+ years of being sedentary. I spent the past 3 months seeing a Physical Therapist. We started with a knee. That got better and my hip started hurting. We fixed that and my muscles in my butt were in spasm. He was able to give me stretches and exercises along with some non-invasive treatment (and no drugs) that got me past all of that. If your pain / discomfort continues I would recommend seeing a PT.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    It feels like the vertebrae in my low back are bunched up. (Sounds weird, I know)

I had this too. A PT suggested I do the [I think it's called] cobra pose. Where you lie on your stomach, place your hands by your shoulders and push up. Made a lot of difference. I do know that yoga was my problem so I have stopped doing it. Maybe I'll try again later, maybe not. There are other forms of exercise out there that are just as good for me.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    If it's a dull achy pain, then you need to strengthen your abdominal core and just push through it. Use a foam roller and heat to work out any kinks. If it is sharp pain that also radiates into extremities then it could be a pinched nerve or worse a slipped disc. If your pain is the latter you need to go see a doctor and DO NOT LIFT.

Remember this... most of the support for your spine comes from your abdominals. When your abdominals are weak your back has to work harder which can of course result in fatigue, pain, and/or injury.

A strong abdominal core is the key. This doesn't mean 1000's of sit-ups either. It just means you may want to add a few more ab-centered exercises during the week. The easiest way to strengthen the ab core is to always keep it tight while performing the other exercises you do. If you want a really simple one, Slam Ball. Really simple, cheap, and you can do it in your garage or driveway. Done properly it works your entire body, but really hits the ab core. Plus it's a great way to work out any stress or agression.

If you are lifting any weights always remember chest up, shoulders back, spine neutral, never look down. Keep the ab core tight.

The more you do the stronger your ab core will get and your back pain should go away. Just don't give up.