i gained 2 pounds this week

Options
Ok so I've been working out like a fiend for the past 2 weeks and I had managed to lose 3 pounds, I even did 2 hours of exercise this past Monday July 1st.

I was feeling super proud of myself so I weigh myself this morning and im 2 pounds heavier!!!! WTF!

I know that during the long weekend i probably had about 500-600 calories extra but I worked out every day and now I just feel hopeless and super sad.

Can anyone give me some sort of explanation.......

Replies

• cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Completely normal daily/weekly weight fluctuations, mostly likely caused by water retention if you're otherwise being consistent with your eating and exercise. Weight loss is not linear. Don't stress it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm five pounds heavier this week.

TOM.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't stress it. If you're eating at a deficit, you didn't gain any actual weight. Scale weight can fluctuate all over the place for any number of reasons. Do you track your sodium? High sodium levels can cause you to retain water. And if your muscles are sore from your big workout on Monday, you're probably retaining water from that as well.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Very normal. My weight can fluctuate up or down 5pounds a day. I only weigh once a month to avoid this. If you weigh daily, it will go up and down. You are looking for the downward trend over a few weeks.

Plus the key to being successful is in having ultimate patience. If you have your numbers right, you will lose. Good luck!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am up 2 pounds, too. Am I worried? Nah. :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The scale is unreliable so focus on body fat % and measurements to track your progress.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Yep as per everyone else really. Don't sweat it too much. If you put on another 2 this time next week THEN have a look at your deficit/training schedule but for now just keep up the good work.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    If you've been working out a lot and eating a lot, it's likely that some of it's muscle - your body needs rest days to recover and get rid of toxins if you've been working it hard - sometime I gain up to a half pound from one workout!

It could be that you had some rather salty things or haven't been drinking enough water lately and you're holding onto water OR it could just been normal fluctuations.
  • logicofsound
    Options
    I'm not sure how accurate this is (you know how reading articles online can be( but if you've just started working out you might be seeing a temporary weight gain due to DOMS - delayed onset muscle soreness. After you begin exercising, or when you up your exercise, your muscles get torn up and in the repair process on your way to being stronger your muscles can retain a lot more water for protection. This can cause a few pounds of weight gain that persist for a week or two while your muscles adjust. Just give your body a little time to adjust and the pounds will start dropping.

I also saw the same thing happen. It can be really discouraging, but it does go away (provided you don't constantly up your game)
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i was wondering where my two went.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is an endurance race, not a sprint. You have to ignore the day to day fluctuations and focus on the long-term trend. Or just stop weighing and focus on the process.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    i was wondering where my two went.

/thread