Why are some TOMs harder than others?

Options
Last month I sailed through my period like a champ. Exercised every day and barely even noticed it coming. This month I've been basically sidelined with severe headaches, cramps and intense salt cravings. I've stuck within my calories every day except yesterday, but my sodium has been awful. I'm actually afraid to step on the scale. I feel like I've gained and I really don't want to depress myself.

The question is: when does bloating from a period go away and how can I tell if I have gained water weight or actual weight during this time? Also, How do you cope when your TOM gets the best of you?

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Water & heating pad!

They're awful sometimes. You just have to muscle through. The hardest part *is* pushing through. Sometimes then you add time and decrease intensity so your body can take it. Good luck ... and know the water weight will go away soon :smile:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    It usually doesn't get the best of me. I exercise right through and since I've been active I don't have issues. There are times that the caffeine in Motrin does help it along. Mainly Motrin isn't magical, it's the caffeine.

BTW, love the Jacob avatar.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    No idea. This month was TOUGH... and right after vacation, which didn't help any! I really backed off on "diet" and exercise for a few days... didn't exercise much and I ate over (but not over maintenance) because I was SO hungry. The day TOM went away... things were back to normal. I felt better, exercised almost back to normal and have been well under calories for the last few days. I don't know that I would do that every month... but I am learning that a few days off when my body really needs it is just fine for me and helps me keep going over the long term.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    A week before you get your TOM, drink at least 12 - 16 cups a water a day - it helps fight the water bloat

This whole week I seen 163 except wednesday it was 164. Today I wieghed myself and 162 =)

I feel bloated but the scale doesn't show it and I'm hardly having any cramps or headaches =)
  • Cina04
    Options
    This past week I also been munching on lots of cashews...just wanted salt like crazy but I still drank that water so the sodium wouldn't have my gain the water weight. Tuesday was my rest day and I had a lot of sodium - so that explained the 164 Wednesday morning =)
  • NanaAtaa
    NanaAtaa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Last month I sailed through my period like a champ. Exercised every day and barely even noticed it coming. This month I've been basically sidelined with severe headaches, cramps and intense salt cravings. I've stuck within my calories every day except yesterday, but my sodium has been awful. I'm actually afraid to step on the scale. I feel like I've gained and I really don't want to depress myself.

The question is: when does bloating from a period go away and how can I tell if I have gained water weight or actual weight during this time? Also, How do you cope when your TOM gets the best of you?

To get your best answer to that question - it's best to check with your OB/GYN doctor or nurse practitioner. PMS and menstrual cycles are all tied to fluctuating hormone levels - like estrogen and progesterone.

The pre-menstrual time is usually a time when our metabolism actually increases a bit, so our brain signals to eat like crazy - are OK and are forgiveable. Eat in the healthiest way you can during that time, and get back on the wagon when your period is over. You'll find that you probably haven't gained as much weight as you imagine. As you work with your doctor to determine how your hormone levels fluctuate from month to month, your cravings for salt (mine are usually for caffeine and chocolate) will probably diminish.

I have an ongoing problem with water weight gain, no matter what time of the month it is, so watching my sodium intake is key. I usually keep my daily sodium intake less than 2000 mg (MFP helps me tremendously with this), and I choose individual food products 300 mg or less sodium / serving. I also watch my fluid intake. The rule of thumb is at least 8 eight ounce of fluid a day, but for me, six eight ounce cups serves me well.

Stuff that also exacerbates bloating: carbonated drinks, diet sodas (artificial sweeteners), refined and processed carbs (refined sugars, refined flour products), not chewing your food well before swallowing, and adding too much fiber to your diet too quickly.

Stuff that reduces bloating: OTC's like Midol and Pamprin during the PMS time, plain yogurt or Greek yogurt, low impact aerobic exercise, yoga, fresh juices containing celery or parsley, following a low sodium diet before, during, and after your cycle.
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    Haha, one could read this subject and think something COMPLETELY different, lol.
  • Cina04
    Options
    Haha, one could read this subject and think something COMPLETELY different, lol.

LMAO
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    TOM has always been bad for me. I get the back cramps. I use the Thermacare pads, the sticky ones made for the shoulder work better and don't roll and ride up like the back wraps. I actually have a prescription pain killer and muscle relaxer that I try to avoid! My boyfriend will give me back rubs when I need them. Being peri menopausal TOM is hit and miss anymore. Can't wait until the time I can say bye bye!