Is Hersheys Special Dark Chocolate Healthy?

Options
The title is pretty self-explanatory

Replies

• Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't think the chocolate % is very high. What I've got in the cabinet now is Ghirardelli 86% and when I was in Paris I was able to find Lindt 90%. I have a couple of squares every night. Calories aren't too bad and supposedly it's healthy. I like it because it's chocolate!
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Healthy? I haven't seen anything on any of the packaging or anywhere else that offers the cacao content, so I'm guessing the just mean it's darker than the milk chocolate. I try to look for 70% or more, but 60% does when I can't find any I like. If you need chips, just finely chop a bar or throw it in a blender. Or, you know, freeze it, bag it, and hit it with a hammer.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    YES
    known to lower blood pressure
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'm always one to argue on the semantics of "healthy" but Hershey's Dark does provide at least some of the anti-oxidants that other dark chocolates have.
  • Kristy7418
    Kristy7418 Posts: 85
    Options
    http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Eat-Dark-Chocolate-Daily-Health-Benefits-23418659

Here's an article for ya. Hershey's Special Dark only has about 45% cocoa so while it is better than milk chocolate a higher percentage is still preferred by most.
  • awie11
    awie11 Posts: 44
    Options
    Thank you. I bought some because its one of the cheapest dark chocolates out there, and I really need something thats healthy and settles my craving. I personally love the lindt 70% but I can't always afford it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It's not unhealthy as long as it fits into your calorie, macro and micro goals. Is dark chocolate some kind of miracle food? No.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's not unhealthy as long as it fits into your calorie, macro and micro goals. Is dark chocolate some kind of miracle food? No.

Agreed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ugh if you're going to spend money and calories on chocolate, at least get something that isn't junk. hershey is nasty!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Ugh if you're going to spend money and calories on chocolate, at least get something that isn't junk. hershey is nasty!

To each their own.

one person's tastes =/= another person's tastes
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Is dark chocolate some kind of miracle food? No.

tumblr_lwm8ip2Pnt1r8v40io1_400.gif
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is made of beans. Therefore, chocolate is a vegetable. Vegetables are healthy, so... chocolate is healthy.