one year and 6 months, 4 pounds lost. (under active thyriod)

Options
Hi everyone. My weight is healthy for my height, and I only need to lose some, any..

I have lost 4 pounds in a year and a bit, and its driving me nuts.
I bike to work (8 mile total)
I work standing and waking all day
then I use the gym for a hour when I get home, cross trainer or running.

been doing this for ages. But im struggling. Anyone got any tips? I use CLA, L-Carnitine and green tea. I hate weight lifting, and the only thing I can think of is im eating too... little?

I normally eat 1600 to 1800 MAX but I burn 800 to 1000 every day. Any ideas? I am on medication for thyroid and levels are normal. Just frustrated really.

Replies

• talexis
    talexis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi have u tried taking selenium supplements they help the conversion of t4 into t3,t2. T2 is not tested for but if your body isn't converting properly you will have a slow metabolism also thyroid meds counteract your calcium conversion make sure you are taking the recommend daliy maybe more if you are highly active.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    thanks for the reply! I take a multivit and eat brazil nuts (4 only at a time) to get my selenium, and also take the "maximum antioxidant" from Holland and barret, with selenium, A, E, C and Zinc

I drink a lot of calcium rich foods, but I might try and get a calcium supplement on its own to try and see if that works too!!

thank you for the advice!! x :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My weight is healthy for my height, and I only need to lose some, any..

I have lost 4 pounds in a year and a bit, and its driving me nuts.
    I bike to work (8 mile total)
    I work standing and waking all day
    then I use the gym for a hour when I get home, cross trainer or running.

been doing this for ages. But im struggling. Anyone got any tips? I use CLA, L-Carnitine and green tea. I hate weight lifting, and the only thing I can think of is im eating too... little?

I normally eat 1600 to 1800 MAX but I burn 800 to 1000 every day. Any ideas? I am on medication for thyroid and levels are normal. Just frustrated really.

so you net 600-800 calories per day?
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you are probably eating far too little for that amount of exercise.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    hard to get it right isn't it, lol! I don't want to eat like 2000 calories a day.. not with my condition i'd be scared i'd put weight on rather than stay steady. Its a minefield! guess I could try adding another 100 a day and see if it helps..
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with the same thing with the same results. I was actually still gaining weight with an hour of exercise per day and eating about the same (before MFP). The only thing that has helped me is to limit to just over 1200 calories and burning off a few hundred per day. I've actually started having some results even though I'm not exercising as hard as I have for the past year since the change. My eating habits haven't changed drastically, the calorie reduction is mostly from giving up sweet tea so that I can continue to eat.

I've been a little scared of selenium since I've heard that it can build up and cause problems so I'm glad to see these comments. My levels are supposedly "normal", as well, but I'm a little leery since my doctor's answer to "What's normal?" was BLACK. And to tell me to eat less, exercise more (than 1200 calories and an hour a day) and take an antidepressant for energy (no thank you).
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    This is what I have been struggling with for the last year. I have actually gained almost 15 pounds since last summer! I am active and eat well and am frustrated with my weight gain and stall. I took a month off from "dieting" and even logging my food but am back and am hoping that I will have reset my metabolism and I can start losing weight again.

Thanks for the tip of Selenium... I will pick some up. I have spoken to my doc about this problem and had blood drawn and was told I fall within the normal range! Very frustrating.
  • staycfitz
    Options
    Hi I also have a Hypothyroid issue 137mcg. At age 41yrs old and 50+lbs over weight. I decided to start my weight loss journey back in October 2013. With a 1200 Calorie intake sometimes more. I go to gym 5 days a week for at least 45 min or more and switching up exercises mixing strength training in at least 2 or 3 of those days. Always eating before and after workouts I have Lost 17.5 as of today. After a lot of research I found out Multi Vitamins are to much for any human w/ thyroid problems also found that its recommended that you get Selenium, Zinc, Iodine, Bs, calcuim, Iron, Riboflavin, copper and vitamin A. They are key to the thyroid function. It is important to get them by natural food sources Vs Vitamins in pill form which your body doesn't always absorb. And its waste of Money. If you are eating right ... you will be getting plenty of what your body needs. Research your foods and see what each food has best of what Vitamins you need most. Don't give up wish you luck! Friend me if you would like its great to have the extra support... :smile: