Options
udt123
udt123 Posts: 22 Member
Jus sayin!

Replies

• Eyesee
    Eyesee Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Are you saying this for all athletic / weight goals or just your own? Do you have any sources to back that up? I don't have a strong option either way, I'm just trying to learn the best way of doing things. I was under the impression that a mix of both was most beneficial to me, but if I'm wrong, please enlighten me!
    ("Jus sayin!" Isn't really evidence of anything, unfortunately.)
  • udt123
    Options
    I actually only wrote "jus sayin" to kind of start a debate =)

As for goals, everybody has different goals but I am assuming the majority of people on Myfitnesspal wants "look better". By looking better, I mean more muscle definition, less fat, etc. Now on the other hand, if you want to run faster, run longer, etc then obviously, running/jogging is what you'd want to do.

As for "studies to back me up", I don't believe in studies at all and only in personal testing and conclusions. Studies have an agenda and whoever provides these studies also have an agenda. I can provide tons of studies that will show how anaerobic weight lifting is and how catabolic running is but that's because I am the one pulling this up.

All I can say is, look at people who do marathon running and look at people who do crossfit. For the most part, I can say that the majority of people would rather look like a cross-fitter.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

As for goals, everybody has different goals but I am assuming the majority of people on Myfitnesspal wants "look better". By looking better, I mean more muscle definition, less fat, etc. Now on the other hand, if you want to run faster, run longer, etc then obviously, running/jogging is what you'd want to do.

As for "studies to back me up", I don't believe in studies at all and only in personal testing and conclusions. Studies have an agenda and whoever provides these studies also have an agenda. I can provide tons of studies that will show how anaerobic weight lifting is and how catabolic running is but that's because I am the one pulling this up.

All I can say is, look at people who do marathon running and look at people who do crossfit. For the most part, I can say that the majority of people would rather look like a cross-fitter.
    People that do cross fit are typically not that impressive looking. If you want to see perfect bodies look at bodybuilders. If you want to see some powerful bearmode bodies look at powerlifters. When I see a cross fitter I might think "oh, he/she's in decent shape." but they still look sort of average to me.

Jus sayin!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Because we need this debated for the ninety billionth time.
    Just sayin'
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I think cardio rocks,,, but everyone likes something different, depends what works for them!
  • weightlossforbrian
    weightlossforbrian Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    weight lifting + cardio > weight lifting or cardio
  • udt123
    Options

People that do cross fit are typically not that impressive looking. If you want to see perfect bodies look at bodybuilders. If you want to see some powerful bearmode bodies look at powerlifters. When I see a cross fitter I might think "oh, he/she's in decent shape." but they still look sort of average to me.

Jus sayin!

I was just using Cross-fit as an example. If I were to use Bodybuilding as an example, the average person starting off would already quit.
  • carchie94
    carchie94 Posts: 45
    Options
    I think it's a good addition to cardio. But it was kind of amusing watching the ripped guys in my power yoga class struggle through simple movements because a) they had no flexibility, and b) they had ****ty endurance.

Cardio + Strength + Flexibility > Cardio, or Strength, or Flexibility.

Repetitive thread for nothing but the sake of debate = trolling.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Jus sayin!

Wow, that's the first time I have ever read a post like this on MFP.

Why haven't we ever had this discussion before?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's like asking, "What's better, bacon or cheeseburgers?" when the obvious answer is "bacon cheeseburgers."
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    weight lifting + cardio > weight lifting or cardio

/thread
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    But squats ,deadlift and benchpress all in one workout feels like cardio haha.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It's like asking, "What's better, bacon or cheeseburgers?" when the obvious answer is "bacon cheeseburgers."

Let's stop making things "OR"...instead, let's embrace the awesomeness of AND :P

[insert commercial about sweet or sour chicken versus sweet and sour chicken]
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I mix up my workouts and its working fine for me, losing weight, shaping up and getting fitter
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Let's stop making things "OR"...instead, let's embrace the awesomeness of AND :P

Yep, good thing we signed up for the bed AND breakfast vs. bed or breakfast ????
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    meh.

Do what you like. I like it all.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

I think we should take it one step further and say, "Sweet and sour chicken AND bacon cheeseburgers." But that could just be because I haven't had dinner yet.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

So instead of cake or pie we should say cake AND pie?

This is worth some serious consideration.
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    But squats ,deadlift and benchpress all in one workout feels like cardio haha.

this ...yeah
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Yep, good thing we signed up for the bed AND breakfast vs. bed or breakfast ????

hi5!