How to Stay on Track During the Summer?

Options
I'm a high school student who recently got out of school last month. During school I find it easier to stay on track because I have classes all day with one lunch, and then a limited amount of recreational hours afterwards. Now here's summer, and I have all day and all night for 3 months that are filled with tantalizing foods and drinks that I find it hard to not consume.

How can I stop myself from eating them? I've already gained a couple pounds and I don't want that to continue.

So far I've tried one technique, which is self-motiviation, you know? 'Hey, imagine yourself 50 pounds thinner, it'll help if you don't eat that cookie...' or whatever. Which sometimes helps, but more often than not it's like 'whatever one cookie won't hurt.'
Help on different techniques to stop myself from over-eating?

Replies

• goldfishgoo
    goldfishgoo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi BrookeLee2:

i just posted about putting stuff in portion control containers/bags/etc. The self-motivation does not work on me quite yet. But I don't discourge it either because I am very sure it will work some day. I'm thinking of when I get closer to my goal...or even a 1/4 of the way. My "frenemies" are Yellow Oreos and Doritos. Doritos are banned from my house...not for their sake but for mine!! I tried to "portion" those suckers out and they just called out: "but wait, there's more of us here!" On the other hand, when I put the Oreos in a 2oz cup with lid, it was just fine. I found I could stop and more importantly I did not want more.

On another issue, I did not drink nearly enough water. I tried the cool water bottles, extra bottles in the refrigerator...you name it. I hated the stuff. I had a case of bottled water left over from my son's Track/Cross Country season so I started to drink them. I found I drank more. I'm starting to refill those bottles in a poor attempt to get me to wean off the bottled water. It really does "taste" the same. So I guess I'm trying to psych myself out!
  • BrookeLee2
    BrookeLee2 Posts: 39
    Options
    Doritos are my greatest weakness as well! Especially the Cool Ranch. We typically portion-bag ours too, but same with me, about the rest just being like 'waaait!'. I guess it's just a matter of trying to master self control:)
  • goldfishgoo
    Options
    OMG!!!! Cool Ranch!!! At the grocery store, I totally avoid that isle now! It is like a Harry Potter nightmare of a Dorito bag turning into a "screamer"! :laugh: Nope, not acceping that crack pipe in a bag anymore!
  • BrookeLee2
    BrookeLee2 Posts: 39
    Options
    I should just try totally cutting that junk out!! Next time I go to the store I'll refuse to step into the chip/snack aisle (unless it's to get crackers, of course)
  • goldfishgoo
    Options
    I just started by cutting the "worst offender". If I tried to go cold turkey on any junk food, I'd go bonkers and totally fail! So, chips...bye bye! Yellow Oreos...probation!