Busy moms with young kids and weight loss?

Options
How do you manage to plan your meals, exercise and lose weight? Pre-kids I was in excellent shape. I am now at what is considered healthy BMI (24.8), try to work out 2-3 times a week but I really want to get to my pre-kids weight. I find it so difficult because I am constantly taking care of my children, ages 5 & 3, my puppy, my house etc. One of my children is special needs and requires more work. I find that I often eat when I am STARVED after I took care of everyone else, have no energy to work out, and often times I need something sweet & coffee to get me going in the afternoon.

People keep telling me I have nothing to worry about my weight but I feel I am barely in the healthy BMI range and I really want to go back to my pre-PG weight. It is not so much that I do not how to eat and exercise, it is that I do not know how to find the time and energy to do it. What is your secret to success?

Replies

• Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    For me it has all been about creating a routine that my boys have come to expect. Food is Pre planned and usually Pre prepped the day I do the grocery store. It took about two weeks for my boys to adjust bur now that we have a rhythm them life is much easer.
  • goldfishgoo
    goldfishgoo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I find it easier in the summer for some reason. I have two at home and they still have music lessons, scouts, etc. I am trying to get into a "school schedule" while on a "summer calendar". That way I will transition better. I found that the kids are so much more flexible to a schedule than I am. :noway:
  • Maikana2
    Maikana2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think I will try to pre plan my meals the 2 days I go grocery shopping. I will cook after for me, maybe store in containers... I am thinking out loud. Thanks for the responses
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I do food prep for almost the entire week on Saturday and Sunday nights after the kids are in bed. I work full time, I'm a single mom, my boys are 4 and 5, I am competing in my second bodybuilding competition in October. It's planning ahead that makes a difference. Also, finding a gym with daycare helps. If you stay at home with them go to the gym immediately after breakfast. I go on my lunch hour. Get it in before the day wears on you.
  • Jay_83
    Jay_83 Posts: 446
    Options
    My daughter is 21 months and the only time I have is when she is napping or down for the night. I have handed some responsibility over to my husband so that I do have time for myself to exercise. I plan meals at least two days in advance, that way I know I will eat healthy and wont get something quick to pop in the oven. Feed your kids what you are eating. Before I would find it so hard when I make mac and cheese for my daughter, then I still had to make something for myself. Make it healthy for all of you. I also noticed that if my daughter didnt finish her plate, I would eat her left overs. I have stopped that now. And sometimes you just have to exercise even if you are tired. I was exhausted last night but after putting her to bed, I jumped on the treadmill and ran 5K. I just needed to warm up and then I started to enjoy it. It's hard. And it's a lot of work and pre-planning but you will love the results!! Good luck!:bigsmile:
  • goldfishgoo
    goldfishgoo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    thanks Jay_83!

That 5k treadmill run is very motivating! I did my first 5k in May...running, no...more like waddled! But it got done! I am getting ready for a 10K for this coming November. I have to put myself back on the road again. But for now the treadmill is what I do. (our house was robbed so going outside now?...yeah, a little scary!)