I Need Advice

Options
I am feeling very discouraged. I switched jobs 3 weeks ago and now, instead of spending most of the day on my feet, I spend most of it sitting at a desk. I made the necessary adjustments in MFP and 2 weeks ago, things looked ok. Since then, things have really gone down hill. Last week, I wasn't able to fit in any exercise. However, since last Saturday, I have exercised 4 days, burning at least 350 or more calories each time. I will admit that I have had a few cheat days but, I am up at least 7 LBS in two weeks!! I know that I am not pregnant( at 50, I would have SHOT my hubby if that had happened). MFP has me at 1200 calories per day. Most days, I stick to that like glue. Do you think it is too low? Could that be my problem? I really need advice from anyone, but especially those of you who mostly sit behind a desk.

Replies

• henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You just need to be patient. You are going through a transition and you're body is in stress response because everything has changed. If you stick to your calories and do exercise when you can, it will even out in a few weeks. Stick with it, it'll all work out.
  • njgirl82656
    Options
    Well I have to say congrats on the weight you already lost. 66 pounds is a lot to lose cause that is my goal. I don't think 1,200 calories is too low though. I think it's the desk job. You have to get more exercise in it seems. Weight training for more muscle mass because we lose muscle as we age, and with more muscle mass your metabolism revs up. So good luck, and you should measure yourself, you might be gaining muscle which takes up less space than fat.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    What is the weekly weight loss goal you have set up with MFP? Given that you seem to be very close to your goal it's time to adjust it if you haven't recently. Do you eat your exercise calories? Has the kind of food you've eaten differed since you started your new job?
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    What is the weekly weight loss goal you have set up with MFP? Given that you seem to be very close to your goal it's time to adjust it if you haven't recently. Do you eat your exercise calories? Has the kind of food you've eaten differed since you started your new job?

I have it set at losing 1 1/2 LBS per week. I actually was only 3 LBS from goal when all this started! No, I do not eat back my exercise calories and my food consumption has stayed the same. Maybe I should lower the weight loss per week goal? Instead of 1 1/2 LBS per week, maybe only 1 LB per week? I just don't know.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

I have it set at losing 1 1/2 LBS per week. I actually was only 3 LBS from goal when all this started! No, I do not eat back my exercise calories and my food consumption has stayed the same. Maybe I should lower the weight loss per week goal? Instead of 1 1/2 LBS per week, maybe only 1 LB per week? I just don't know.

With 10ish lbs to go I'd suggest moving the goal to .5 lbs per week and when you do exercise eat those calories back. MFP already has your deficit built into the calorie goal it gives you. When you exercise and don't eat at least part of those calories back it widens your deficit.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    When you are that close to goal, you should make your weekly loss goal more modest, 1 lb or even .5 lb. You probably need to give a consistent intake time to see how it shakes out with the new job. I could be totally wrong, but if by cheat day you mean "I didn't track," then it's easy to imagine that you ate away all your progress with the exercise. 4x 350 cal exercise sessions is 1400 c, which I can easily eat at one good party. Try to keep track of all your intake, even the days you knowingly go over, just so you can start to see how much caloric burn the old job was giving you and how much you should adjust for that now. Good luck!