Can't control my eating

Options
2»

Replies

• willnevergiveup
    willnevergiveup Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Check out this article in the New York Times: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/how-carbs-can-trigger-food-cravings/

I found this out the hard way. The more I eat processed or white food carbs, the hungrier I get. If I eat 60-70 net carbs dailyof things like vegetables, berries, and no more than 1 slice of flax seed bread a day, I'm fine. I'm not hungry. I've lost 37 pounds in the past three months (I'm 5', 2"and weight about195 pounds now). I also drink lots of water. I'd heard this, but dismissed it. No more. I drink at least 100 ounces of water a day.

I hope this helps and good luck to you on your journey.
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    First, change your thinking. If you think you HAVE to do something, you're body is going to do it. If you think "I want to have a healthier relationship with food" then you will.

In terms of eating better:

I've learned that eating high, healthy fats make you feel full. Avocado, walnuts, almonds and peanut butter are great foods to cut the cravings. Foods that are high in sugar and salt make you feel hungry so watch that intake.

Drink a lot of water. it makes you feel full, flushes your body of toxins and makes your skin look prettyyyy :)

If it's a matter of having a habit of munching, try chewing on gum, sunflower seeds, sugar free gummy bears, carrots or other low calorie foods that take a lot of energy to eat.

Plan your meals. Know what your eating and only eat what you've planned. I've found that eating 5, smallish meals throughout the day helps with the munching because I'm constantly eating. Now, I'm like "God, I don't want to eat", but I know that I have to to get in the calories that I need.

Ultimately, you just have to work on self-control. That's important in your relationship with food as well as in life. Food isn't your addiction. Start small, like another poster said. Replace one food at a time. And then work your way up to cutting out unnecessary, unhealthy habits.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    you've got to figure this out.. try eating six meals during the day and eat three ounces of protein at each..try to get your appetite under control you can do it.

another thing.. See if what you're eating is making you hungry. For example.. i realized that some high carb low cal snacks I was eating..along with eating fruit first thing in the day..make me hungry all day long. It was a struggle to stay on plan. When i cut that out.. i had control.

So..see what your patterns are and play with what you're eating. Get that butt into onederland.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Low-calorie things that take a long time to eat have been my savior. Firecracker popsicles (the red, white, and blue ones) are only 40 calories each, and take a good 5-10 minutes to finish.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    This doesn't necessarily help with learning portion control, but in order to still eat a lot of food but for not a lot of calories, I often look for ways to "bulk up" my meals. If I want cereal for breakfast, for example, I'll have one cup of puffed rice or puffed wheat (like 40 cals) mixed in with whatever "real' cereal I want. Most other meals, I just add a lot of veggies. So my spaghetti sauce is pretty low calorie b/c each cup of sauce contains like a half-cup of vegetables.
  • lulu4thewin
    Options
    Research high nutrition, low calorie foods. Convert to eating that way. High nutrient foods will satisfy you and journaling here will help you learn when to stop. Eating the Standard American Diet (S.A.D.) in small portions is just going to torture you. Axe the sugar and refined flour, and bring in the rainbow or veggies. I don't follow Dr. Fuhrman as much as I should, but he's a good place to start. Good Luck!!