Question about running

Just went for a run (my first run with the 10k runner app), and the app has it set up for 3 runs per week. I was just wondering, is it like working out at the gym where you rest the muscle for a day or two after working on it? Should I be resting every other day when running for recovery, or is it fine to run every day?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Your body needs the recovery time from running. When you are first starting out, every other day is enough. Eventually, if you grow to love running, you'll add a 4th day...then a 5th day...then a 6th day...then a 7th day...and when you completely lose you mind like I have, you'll have weeks where you'll run 10 or 11 times in 7 days. :)

So, yes. Take the rest. You need it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    rest in between. especially if you are new.
  • xcmum
    xcmum Posts: 136
    I did a half marathon training plan a few months ago which said to run 5 days a week. Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday.
    Some weeks i would skip the Thursday one and others i would skip the Saturday as i knew i had the big runs on Sunday and needed that extra rest day.

Best thing is to listen to your body, don't over do it and if you need a rest day take it. Otherwise you could end up with an injury you could have avoided :)
  • Your body needs the recovery time from running. When you are first starting out, every other day is enough. Eventually, if you grow to love running, you'll add a 4th day...then a 5th day...then a 6th day...then a 7th day...and when you completely lose you mind like I have, you'll have weeks where you'll run 10 or 11 times in 7 days. :)

So, yes. Take the rest. You need it.

Alright, I kinda figured that I would need time to recover at first, just like when I started going to the gym. Have to give the muscles time to recover after exertion. Thanks!
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Follow the program. Don't run more than 3 times per week. Going too far, too fast, too often will increase the chance of injury which is miserable.

Listen to your body.

You can cross train on your non-running days. Biking and swimming are good options.

Yoga is a great compliment to running.

Also work on building up your core strength.
  • I did a half marathon training plan a few months ago which said to run 5 days a week. Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday.
    Some weeks i would skip the Thursday one and others i would skip the Saturday as i knew i had the big runs on Sunday and needed that extra rest day.

Best thing is to listen to your body, don't over do it and if you need a rest day take it. Otherwise you could end up with an injury you could have avoided :)

Yeah, hurting myself, especially with this motivation I have at the moment would not be good haha. Don't want anything to happen before I even get into it. Thanks for the advice!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    I'm a beginner and ran two days in a row and boy am I paying for it. My quads are so sore. It reminds me of sprints in soccer and softball in high school.