wish the wii board would acount for muscle

Options
So about 2 weeks ago i was SO happy i was down to 214 and not in the obese section i was in the over weight part. well next day it says I had gained 2 pounds, then another pound and back up up up. my gf keeps saying muscle weigh more then fat. Well today i am back up to like 222 she still saying same thing muscle is more weight then fat but i just don't know, how can i know for sure that is really what it is, I am so depressed I was so happy to be at 214. I have not been eating a whole lot. so don't know but I also have not been walking as much, i don't think.

any advice

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I don't follow.

The wii board uses BMI. BMI takes no body composition into effect.
    If you have very low body fat and high lean mass (like 8% body fat, but are very muscular) you still register as obese.

If you want more accurate results, get a DEXA scan.

I posit that 'weight' is a useless measurement.
    Body composition is all that matters.
  • wohlgangerc
    wohlgangerc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The best way to tell whether something is muscle or fat is using a measuring tape. If you are gaining muscle, the area you are focusing on most should grow larger. If you are gaining fat, you will be larger overall, or in the areas your body tends to store fat, such as the butt and belly. It's a lot harder to gain muscle mass than fat. Without seeing what you're eating and how much you're exercising, I can't give a good estimate of what's really happening, but I would guess that most of the weight fluctuation is from changes in your water weight.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Gaining 8 pounds in 2 weeks is most likely not muscle weight.
    I use the WII board weekly to weigh and I find it the most reliable of the various scales I've tried.
    Make sure your batteries are not going flat, always put the board on a hard floor not carpet and weigh the same time of day wearing the same clothes.
    I agree the tape measure is a more accurate measure of weight loss and muscle gain. I do that monthly.
    Maybe you're at a stage where you need to start weighing your food again and check your daily calorie goal.
    Good luck.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain that much muscle in a couple weeks and muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. Muscle takes up less space than fat on a per pound basis so unless you weigh more and measure much smaller you aren't replacing fat with muscle.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    any advice

what was the question?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    To put on a pound of muscle in a week you would have to be a world class body builder having the best week of their life. So no your extra weight is not due to muscle
  • ChrisinGA
    ChrisinGA Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What is dexa scan?
    Well my weight seems to go up and down, one day it be 218 next it be 222 next day back to 218 or so, it seems I either gain or loose about 2-3 pounds, i try hard to weigh everyday but sometimes i do miss a day or two, I also try to do it same time, or as in mornings or afternoons, it seems if i weigh one morning then the next night then the next night i will have a extra pound or two.
    it seems I keep losing weigh in my waist cause my pants keep getting more loose on me, and my arms seem to be getting bigger. I lift my weights as much as I can.

So it seems most of you are saying if i do loose fat and gain muscle the wii board will show it to me on my finial weight.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Your weight flutuations will be mainly due to water weight if it by as much as you say it it. This is one of the problems with weighing yourself every day, your bod can easily without much cause increase in weight by a couple of pounds just through water alone. If you had a particularly had a bad day Salt wise this could be a cause.

Like and OP said, techincally muscle weighs the same as fat, its like the same as a ton of brick and a ton of feathers are thrown of a bridge which lands first? neither they land the same because a ton is a ton, same as a pound is a pound. Its more correct to say one pound of muscle takes less volume than a pound of fat.
  • Zereoue20
    Zereoue20 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've gained 6lb in one day before. Weighing daily will definitely piss you off more than encourage you. I still weigh consecutive days sometimes (why I don't really know), but take it with a grain of salt, it's probably not accurate. If you're eating high salt diet then water weight can fluctuate pretty wildly.
  • logicofsound
    Options
    Was the low weight an anomaly? It is possible you might have messed up the measurement somehow?