Treadmill or Eliptical ??

Options
I cannot decide on which one to buy. I was thinking Elliptical because you buy them so much cheaper than a treadmill. I have about 65lbs to loose. I am trying to figure out some opinions.. What do you think ??

Replies

• justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Spend a few bucks on day passes to your local health club. Take their ellipticals, treadmills and exercise bikes through their paces for a full workout. See which one you like the best. Then buy used on Craigslist. Keep in mind, toning and cardio is done on the equipment. Losing weight is done in the kitchen.
  • Nelson081
    Nelson081 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Spend a few bucks on day passes to your local health club. Take their ellipticals, treadmills and exercise bikes through their paces for a full workout. See which one you like the best. Then buy used on Craigslist. Keep in mind, toning is done on the equipment. Losing weight is done in the kitchen.

Then whats cardio for?!
  • goodgollymrsholly1
    Options
    Of course I have been eating right, but if I eat right I may loose a bit of weight or maintain my weight. I need a good cardio exercise in order to loose my weight. You have to do both in order to loose weight. I have done both and I liked both very well. I am getting opinions and seeing who has had results from either. So it can help me with my decision.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    elliptical I got mine used from someone on a local sales site delivered for 50 dollars
    24 minute s is 314 cals burned
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    The elliptical tends to be easier on the joints, but I like both because after spending time on the elliptical I like to go for a run on the treadmill.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Very true. Also the Fitness Market makes a killing on people buying expensive equipment that often turns into dust collectors and cloths hangers. (My wife is a prime supporter of this. There are too many distraction for her at home. Good intentions do not equal results.) It is easy to say home is more convienant, but sometimes there are a lot of distraction at home. Most gyms will sell you day passes for $5 to $10, or a month pass for $50 or less. (Price around.) Spent a few days using both, and the various makers. Then have a heart to heart with yourself. Are you really going to use it at home???
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I had a lower end elliptical at home, nowhere as nice as the gym, but still worked fine. However, I've used a lower end tredmill and I could not believe how ****ty it was! Loud loud loud, felt ****ty to run on etc. If you are buying for your house and don't have a big budget I think elliptical are the way to go
  • goodgollymrsholly1
    Options
    I am the kind I rather be at home and workout. I have done the gym membership and I do not like it. It is just not me. I rather be at home and do my workouts. And not have time restrictions on the machine. I had a treadmill before and at home and used it every night for the longest time. That was a long time ago and unfortunately that treadmill is long gone. I am just trying decide now which one I want.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Treadmill, but I use the Eliptical from time to time. Treadmill 30 minutes, pushing it, up and down, average 550 to 600 calories.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I prefer elliptical. We have a BodySolid E5000. Wasn't cheap, but bought at a discount. I love that sucka.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical as it seems to be easier on my knees for a given level of perceived exertion.

I do use the elliptical more often however I like to use the treadmill for an occasional change of pace.

If I had to only use one or the other it would be the elliptical but I would miss the treadmill.
  • LinaS1976
    LinaS1976 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have both, a $2000 treadmill and a $300 elliptical and i love the elliptical. So much easier on my knees and i have one that you can change the program and instensity and i sweat like a maniac.

Happy deciding
  • rhondaec
    rhondaec Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like my ellipitical better. It is easier on your joints. I have Plantar fasciitis and it is amazing when I am having some pain from it.
  • goodgollymrsholly1
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for all the opinions. Just ordered my Elliptical ! =)
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    After a TON of debating on this same topic, I just bought the Proform 14.0. I realized exactly what someone else said, the elliptical is much better on the joints. And while my joints are fine now, who knows how they will be in 3 years or so (or if my elliptical will even be working then?

Truthfully, I'm not giving up my gym membership! I mainly bought this for those "rainy days" when I don't have the time or the energy to go to the gym. Most days, if I want to use the treadmill THAT badly, I can drive the gym without it being a huge deal.

If you're worried about calorie burn, honestly.... both machines will kick your *kitten*, but you have to be willing to WORK!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I personally hate treadmills, I do love elliptical. I feel like I get a better work out on an elliptical, plus I get bored on treadmills....yawn
  • rhondaec
    rhondaec Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I personally hate treadmills, I do love elliptical. I feel like I get a better work out on an elliptical, plus I get bored on treadmills....yawn

also what she said ^^^^
  • marshmallow8978
    marshmallow8978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a nice elliptical and wish i had got a treadmill instead. Its so boring I can only go 30-45 min max on it. I like running better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I cannot decide on which one to buy. I was thinking Elliptical because you buy them so much cheaper than a treadmill. I have about 65lbs to loose. I am trying to figure out some opinions.. What do you think ??
    Buy the one that you'll use.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    Elliptical is lower impact and better for intervals in my opinion. I would go with that any day over a treadmill!