I'm new, excited, and scared.

Options
Hey everyone! I'm trying this whole MyFitnessPal thing again. I was on the application about a year and a half ago, but when I hit a plateau, I was so frustrated that I quit everything. I'm trying it again now that I've quit smoking and gained 13 pounds.

It's really weird for me to be so open about my weight, since I've attempted to hide it through the cunning use of flags/not acknowledging it completely. You know what? That doesn't work too well. Still heavy, still trying to figure this out. It's time for me to be open and honest, so that I can progress.

My initial goal weight loss is 60 pounds, which would put me around 200. I'd prefer to be 180. I was lighter than that when I was younger and not only did I struggle with being hungry, but my rib cage looked weird and out of proportion. I have a mild form of scoliosis, so my weight sort of evens that all out. Bonus? Also, I'm 5'8" and 180 looked lovely on me. I'm want that "oh, I look gorgeous!" feeling again.

I'm having a lot of anxiety already. I've tried to lose weight in the past and have it be for me, but there was always this sense of accountability toward my mother. I spoke with her this afternoon about how I need this to be about me and how she's made me feel guilty in the past about being overweight. She's agreed to be mindful and back off, but I'm still scared that I'll fail and that will somehow mean that I will be alone forever. It doesn't make sense but it's where my mind goes, so there's that.

Anyway, I just thought I would introduce myself before I test the waters!

(Edit: I'm pretty psyched that my username is too long for the forums. It's "journeythrough", not "throug", ha.)

Replies

• jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    welcome! This is a very supportive place. There is alot of good information about nutrition and health- mainly- don't keep your calories too low!
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    good luck! We are heere for you!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello and Welcome to MFP!!
  • Myli73
    Myli73 Posts: 4
    Options
    Totally get where you're coming from. I've only been on here for a few days but I've noticed that when I start having trouble, I just log on and feel pumped again. If you're looking for friends to motivate you, you can add me and we can take this day by day and help each other out. I had some great people reach out to me and that makes a big difference. One day at a time....you can do this.
  • CeddysMum
    CeddysMum Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi, and Welcome (back)

You already have accomplished a HUGE change in your life and quit smoking!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :flowerforyou:

You can do this too!!!

Good luck for your journey :smile:
  • gecikedi
    gecikedi Posts: 12
    Options
    I too just quit smoking. October 30,2012 was my last cigarette. I gained 20+ lbs and am now trying to lose that weight and then a few more. It takes a lot of courage and determination to quit smoking. I have taken that courage and determination and put it towards loosing weight. In two weeks I have lost 5lbs. I walk by the cake, fried chicken etc just like I walk by the smokers corner and pass up the cigarettes. Its not easy but I too am determined to feel "I am so Sexy" again.
  • journeythrough
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcomes, everyone! It's so nice knowing that I'm in a supportive community.

Re: smoking, that was so hard and I don't regret quitting at all, but it was the scariest thing in the world to step on a scale and be 13 pounds heavier. I did it cold turkey and ice cream, so I know that the will power is there, I just need to find something else to satisfy that happy feeling that food gives me.

I've been trying to run but I feel like I've definitely hit a roadblock where my body size makes it hard for me to progress in speed and distance. I quit smoking so that I could run; I'm happy to try and lose some weight so that my legs don't hurt as much.

My god, I'm just scared that I'll mess up somehow! Mess.

Thanks for being a sounding board. I really appreciate it and all of the kind words!
  • JNOwens
    JNOwens Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! Quitting smoking is one of the most stressful things in life. Trust me I've been there.... about 15 times. Stay strong!! You can do it :)
  • MaMa2Charley
    Options
    You can do this and you will.
  • joetalk
    joetalk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi there

this is my first post on the boards, but your topic and comments give me courage, i too am just trying this again and have been slowly changing things over the last few years, and am now ready to take the plunge into a full out effort on multi facets of my life

here are a few details about my struggle and what is working

i just weighed in at 299 this morning... my ideal weight should be about 200 well toned and defined if im lucky enough to not just loose but beef up with the right type of weight

ive been over 320 for about 5 years and have tried all types of low carb, low calorie and shake diets you can think of, but whats got me down and keeping me on the constant lossing path is much easier,

1. start by removing raw sugar items

2. remove as many of the greasy meals as possible in your week

3. introduce and consume as many veggies as possible

4. precook and prep your food as often as possible

5. introduce exercise that you enjoy doing... dont push how much or how hard, just find what you like

ive spent the last 3 years learning about food, carbs calories and how our "machine" ie body works

my goal is to avoid blood sugar spikes and not feel overly hungry all the time, so here is what my day looked like today

breaky was eggs and bacon
    lunch two cheese, lunch meat mayo and mustard wraps with whole grain
    dinner stir fry with soya sauce and 4 oz of pork chop
    snacks were cherries and cucumber

im eating at least every 2 hours and taking 1 or 2 bites in between these meals

im drinking 8-12 glasses of water.... ya my bladder hurts today but after time that feeling stops as my bladder expands and holds more

im certainly not some one who knows what is right from wrong, but i know that if i dont partake of those "bad" foods when i absolutely want to, im going to end up breaking down and not starting up again... so i have a treat if i really need to, but really work hard to limit it to one item a week, not thinking of it as my reward but instead just something im allowed to do guilt free.... thinking of bad foods as a reward continues the unhealthy thinking about food that i need to avoid.... so not a reward.. just a part of my regular maintainable lifestyle.

the hardest part of what i hear you sharing about is the exercise thing, if your able to, try the encombant bike, im sure im spelling that wrong but its the bike where your seated back in a chair and the pedals are in front of you, not like a normal stationary that puts all that pressure on your mid section with your feet on the pedals under you...

i have found this type of bike helped me at my size by using my sizable rear end to hold the weight instead of my feet, ankles and knee's which causes pain, which causes me to stop.......

with this type of bike i can spend a full 30 mins on it, on the easy setting and slowly increase my amount of time, im working on increasing to 1 hour a day, and im half way there now having started at 15 mins a month ago and now up to 30 mins... adding 1 minute every couple of days,

today i added 10 min on the tread mill as well and burned a total 300 calories in 40 mins... pretty good pace on the bike and pretty slow on the treadmill..

if there is one rule ive learned that has helped me... its never feel like your failing by making at least one healthy choice per day, we cant all have great days, but if we allow ourselves to be human and grow over time, you eventually form habits and those habits make it easier to keep the progress more consistent and continuous

I know i just met you, but im proud of you for commenting, and you have just made my day, because you gave me an excuse to spill my guts out and share whats working for me... hopefully this is taken as i hope it to be,..... just me sharing.. not me suggesting i know whats right for another person...

thanks again, and i look forward to being a part of this community with members like you...

joe