Trusting MFP when eating back?

Options
Hi!
I've been wondering if i should trust MFP about the calories i burn... and if i should eat them ALL back?
Help?

Thanks!

Replies

• kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them all back. I like to leave a little buffer because I don't always trust my Runtastic app or MFP calculations (or mine sometimes either). I do try to eat most of them back though.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    In general, I think the calories for exercise are way too generous. I do not eat mine back as a general rule. Sometimes I eat some of them back.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I believe that MFP often overestimates exercise calories so definitely be careful eating them ALL back. I bought a Bodymedia Fit and learned that, in my case, MFP was often doubling what I was actually burning.
  • SusanKKO
    SusanKKO Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen compared to my heart rate monitors, the calories that show-up here are way too high. Like 300-400 too high for an hours worth of exercise, so eat back with caution if you go by their calories.
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    dont eat em back!
  • kezzola
    kezzola Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I feel a lot safer with the exercise calories if I halve them. If I go for an hours brisk walk I just log it as 30 minutes and then I know I'm safe.
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Come up with a number and stick to it. For instance, no matter how many calories MFP says you have earned through exercise try to stay between 1700-1900 calories.

Up to you though.
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My suggestion.... if you want to lose weight, don't eat them back. What's the purpose of eating back all the calories you just burned off by eating them back. Waste of time to exercise. Don't let your all hard work be done in vain, don't eat back the calories and see if you lose, then again, just do what works for you.
  • tessi1993
    tessi1993 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    does anyones elses moniter ask them for a level (1-5) of intensity?
    if so what level do you use?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    My suggestion.... if you want to lose weight, don't eat them back. What's the purpose of eating back all the calories you just burned off by eating them back. Waste of time to exercise. Don't let your all hard work be done in vain, don't eat back the calories and see if you lose, then again, just do what works for you.
    considering I work out 2 hours a day, I would feel very hungry not eating some calories back! 1200 is way too low for an active person so I eat 1/2 to 2/3 of my calories back-sometimes more and I still lose or maintain. MFP is already set up to give you a deficit even without eating them back. If you don't want to fall off your plan-eat as many as you need back.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If you think exercise is hard work and the only purpose is to create or increase your calorie deficit, you're doing it wrong.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you must eat them back, just eat half. I think mfp overestimates. It also depends on your goals of course.
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i think MFP's exercise calories are pretty accurate. when i go on sites to calculate how many cals i burn, according to my weight and age and height, they're about the same.

i eat back about 75% of my calories burned, because if i didn't, i'd probably be a big b**ch because i'd be starving! MFP's daily calorie estimate for you already takes into account weight loss, so it wants you to eat back everything you burn so you net that certain amount. i'm at 1200 cals per day, and i burn anywhere from 500-750 per workout. who in the world can survive off 600 cals net per day??

i set my program to lose 1.5 lbs/wk, and it gave me 1200 cals to work with. i put into MFP my exercise and how long and go from there. since i've been on here a little over 3 months, i've averaged 1.6 lb loss per week. which means something must be working, right?

comments about 1200 cals per day not being enough (blah blah blah) aren't needed either. that's an endless debate on here!
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    it really boils down to how big a deficit you are carrying

large deficit and it wont matter, you'll still lose

small deficit and you could find yourself eating at maintenance without knowing it

that's why folks only like to eat back 50-70% of exercise cals, if that
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The extra calories burnt from exercise are there for me if I need them but I definitely don't make a habit of working out *just* so I can eat more. I plan on a 1200 calorie day, then if I get any exercise in I might have extra portions or an extra snack but I definitely never eat them ALL back...I believe MFP overestimates the burn..so much so that I also underestimate the time spent working out (if I walk 90 min I only log 60-75, 25 min of calisthenics gets logged at 10-15)
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    In general, I think the calories for exercise are way too generous. I do not eat mine back as a general rule. Sometimes I eat some of them back.

I agree.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    With the MFP estimates I used to eat back at least half - more if I was hungrier. I got a FitBit a while ago and I now eat back every single calorie and have been for months - still losing at a good rate so I will keep doing it until I don't anymore.

If you burn a LOT (more than 500) then eating 'some' back is a good idea otherwise your deficit will be too large and you might find yourself very hungry, tired, irritable and all that. If you need some extra energy then eat :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It really depends. For running or walking if you're sure of your speed, I'd eat 70% back, for dvd programs or zumba etc though there's just no way of knowing exactly how much you burned without a HRM.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have a hard enough time eating my original calories, so I never eat my exercise calories back!!
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I eat back all of my calories, I'd be starving otherwise, I work out hard!