Independence Day Menus

Options
Did you guys decide to choose healthier alternatives to the traditional holiday meals or did you decide to go with traditional holiday foods such as ribs, potato salad,baked beans, hot dogs, barbecue and cake? if you decided to make something healthy let me know the ingredients you used. I'm just wondering.

Replies

• ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I've made a pitcher of water infused with lemons, blueberries, and strawberries. I'm thinking of making a salad adorned with blueberries, a bit of feta cheese, maybe a few walnuts, and dressing with a fresh raspberry low cal vinegrette. I think I may even add a bit of grilled shrimp and have it as my main course. My hubby is also grilling boneless chicken breast in a flavorful marinade, halibut, and lots of veggies.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    We are grilling to keep things traditional but lean. Grilled asparagus, corn, bison burgers, tofu-veg kabobs, and for dessert- grilled peach & pineapple skewers. There is going to be traditional fair as well but I always contribute to ensure I have something healthy to munch on and share with my friends.

Happy Independence Day America!
  • barboryte1
    barboryte1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    we are grilling home ground beef and chicken patties with red pepper coulis, lime marinated shrimp kebabs, corn and black been salad and lemon coconut mouse (all clean.) Our sin in this case is beer and wine...
  • jasminemonique1
    Options
    thanks for all the responses and all of you guys food sounds delicious.
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The blueberrry and feta salad mentioned reminded me of one of my favourites: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/04/grilled-chicken-salad-with-feta-fresh-corn-and-blueberries/

I make it lighter by using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, low fat mayo, and leave out the half and half (we don't have it in Australia AFAIK) and sugar altogether. It's delicious.