What to do with turkey meat?

Options
Megs081211
Megs081211 Posts: 150
So I tend to be lazy or at the last minute want something for dinner that'll take awhile to cook. Well I have like 4 lbs of turkey meat I'm going to cook up tomorrow and freeze for quick easy meals. Right now I'm thinking of doing meatballs, burgers, and taco meat; is there something else I could do?

Replies

• LoraleiDean
    LoraleiDean Posts: 100
    Options
    Just off the top of my head:
    -Meatloaf
    -Tetrazzini
    -A La King
    -Casseroles
    -Hot open-face turkey with cheese
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Fajitas with sliced peppers would be a nice quick meal also.
  • Megs081211
    Options
    -Meatloaf
    -Tetrazzini
    -A La King
    -Casseroles

What is tetrazzini and A La King, I apparently need to broaden my culinary horizons
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Picadillo!! I would make picadillo with it and then use for stuffed bell peppers, taco or burrito filling or just served over rice :):)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/03/picadillo-6-ww-pts.html
  • Megs081211
    Options

Can I cook it and freeze it?
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Depends on how it's prepared. My recent ground turkey recipes have included tacos, burgers, meatballs, pizza, chop suey (a bizarre American/Chinese concoction), chili, and soup.

If you know your seasonings, you can prepare it like you would chicken or beef.
  • looplooploop
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Turkey Recipes

The buffalo turkey burgers (first post) are awesome. I make them regularly.
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    turkey meatballs with kale and quinoa(instead of breadcrumbs) are deeelish! i make them in the crockpot and they can be frozen after.
  • ElizaGeorge
    ElizaGeorge Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    turkey meatballs with kale and quinoa(instead of breadcrumbs) are deeelish! i make them in the crockpot and they can be frozen after.

Do you mind posting a recipe for that?
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    chili
    picadillo
    sloppy joes
    spaghetti sauce
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Do you mind posting a recipe for that?

of course! this is the link to the original recipe -

http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/10/healthy-crockpot-mini-turkey-meatballs/

i just added an entire bunch of kale to the meat mixture. i don't know what the nutritional breakdown is of them. and i used light parmesan instead of romano. i've made them with spinach as well. any way to get the greens in!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com has great recipies!
  • LoraleiDean
    LoraleiDean Posts: 100
    Options
    -Meatloaf
    -Tetrazzini
    -A La King
    -Casseroles

What is tetrazzini and A La King, I apparently need to broaden my culinary horizons

Tetrazzini is turkey in a white sauce with noodles, and A La King is also in a white sauce with a bit of white wine, peppers, mushrooms, and onion. I bet you'd love them!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    find the nearest dog and put the meat in there.
    turkey meat is nasty.
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options

Can I cook it and freeze it?
    Although you were asking someone else ill chime in
    Yes you can. With any meat in a fajita style slice I suggest if possible freezing on a dish side by side before the moving into a bag piled upon each other. So about 1 hour atleast than tossing into the bag and continue freezing where they don't meld together. Nothing worse than freezing fajitas and having to defrost in the microwave in order to break up a frozen ball of chopped meat. Also nice to be able to grab say a taco worth from the bag heat up only that portion while the rest still is safely frozen in the freezer. And as far as bell pepper. It does well in the freezer. Leave the pepper a little crisp the first freeze and it will reheat awesomely.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I recently made these turkey burgers, they are yummy. You can up or down the spiciness as you like. I used sugarless applesauce:http://theshiksa.com/2013/06/27/turkey-burgers/

They freeze beautifully, freeze in a single layer, then transfer to a zip lock bag
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I cook up a batch then mix some with eggs for breakfast (in the pan or you can bake in cupcake pan for little bite size breakfast bites), or serve over quinoa with veggies. I do tend to add a lot of spices or mix with roasted tomatoes or grilled onions because ground turkey can be bland
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    spaghetti bolognese :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump