Really Hard to Lose Weight

Options
I've been trying to lose weight for several years. From a high of 215 lbs, I managed to get down to 160 lbs. last year. I'm now back up to 171.6 this morning.

I "run" (that is, run as far as I can, walk a little ways, then run again - generally running about 60% to 80% of the time) 4.7 mi 4 days a week. On the 5th day I do a longer "run" - yesterday was 8.6 mi. I do weights at a gym 2 or 3 times a week (usually 3) and not sissy weights: I curl 15 lbs each arm and can leg press my weight.

I'm about 90% vegan (no meat or dairy; sometimes cheat on the dairy), eat only whole grains, cook most food from scratch, and use very low fat. I've not been loging my food for about a month, but before when I was logging, I was running between 1200 and 1600 calories/day with the odd 2000 calorie when I was really starved.

Since we moved to DC I walk almost everywhere - to the grocery, to shopping, etc. Since I've started gaining weight again, I've added in extra walking; last week I walked an additional 22.7 mi.

With all that, last week I lost 0.6lb. It seems like I'm working really hard for really little gain. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Replies

• calistahs
    Options
    Try switching up your routine. For example, instead of running 4 times a week for the same distance/time, try adding yoga or cycling. Your body has probably become too comfortable with your exercise routine. You need to "surprise" it so that other muscle groups are stimulated. Doing so will trigger a change in what your body uses for energy (i.e. fat vs. carbohydrate). Another thing to remember if you are trying to burn fat is to stay within 50-70% of your maximum heart rate. Your max heart rate is calculated by 220 minus your age. For example, I am 25, so my target heart rate is 220-25 = 195 bpm. Multiply 195 bpm by 50% = 98 bpm. Multiply 195 bpm by 70% = 137 bpm. This means when my heart rate is between 98 bpm and 137 bpm, I am using fat as my primary energy source. Most of all, don't give up!
  • Amarea
    Amarea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    With all the exercise you're doing, it might be possible that you actually need more calories. It's hard to say if you're not logging things so maybe that's the place to start. See if you're running at too much of a deficit. Just my 2 cents! Good luck to you.
  • tracyts
    tracyts Posts: 113
    Options
    First off, congrats on losing 45 pounds. Even if you've gained some, don't be discouraged as that's a huge accomplishment and one you should be very proud of - without any "buts."

Just a few thoughts that came immediately to mind after reading your post. My first suggestion is get back to logging your food. Sounds like your diet is healthy, but I'd recommend focusing on portion sizes because those might have increased slightly if you aren't paying too much attention. Second, you mentioned moving to DC. Not sure where you moved from or how recently you moved, but with the heat and humidity of the DC area and how active you are, you might want to consider upping your water intake as you may be retaining water as your body adjusts to the new environment.

GL!
  • clarkecolin
    clarkecolin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I know this story only too well. I starting training for my first marathon this year which was in July (ended up doing two full marathon & two half marathon in a month), I trained 5 days a week with a long run on Sundays, I was 205 lbs and my weight didnt drop at all during all the training (800 miles in total, over 5 months). I even started weight & situps, crunches etc to loose the weigh and it helped a little but didnt make all that much difference. So I checked out my BMI and dailey calorie intake for my age/height/weight online and reduced my calorie intake by 1000 dailey. In the first week I lost 2.2KG and yet this week I only lost the same as you 0.6KG, but it will drop if you stick it out. I was if I'm honest a little disapointed this morning when I weigh'd myself but I determined to reach my goal weigh and if that takes a little longer than so be it.

When you doing weights you are going to notice very little change in weight as musle is heavier than fat.

I hope this is of some help.

PS hello from Ireland.

Colin.
  • agaw0211
    Options
    Hi Sirmonsr,
    It sounds to me like your reaching a pretty big plateau. My suggestion would be to continue with all your running and cardio but start with some changes with your resistance training. For example try speed circuit trainig. What you do is pick 8-10 exercises, preferably free weight exercises, and perform them for around 1 min. Then rest for only 20 seconds. Once you have went through all the exercises once take a 2 min rest and perform all of them again. Make sure that the whole time your going through this routine you keep your heart rate in your target heart rate zone (220-age)*.80. You'll find this is a fast way to burn a ton of calories, fast! BUT YOU MUST PERFORM THE EXERCISES FOR THE FULL MIN. SO PICK AN APPROPRIATE WEIGHT. GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • sirmonsr
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, Colin. Sounds like you have really put in the miles. I'm really impressed at anyone running a marathon, let alone two.

I guess our bodies must be really efficient at using energy??!!?? So we just have to work harder. Best of luck to you. Keep me posted how it goes.
  • sirmonsr
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it.
  • clarkecolin
    clarkecolin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    No problem, glad to be of a little help.

your welcome to ad me as a friend if you like & I'll keep my details up to date so that you can compare.

This is the first (today) time I've ever used a forum & I can't believe how quickly people respond, it's fantastic.