Sherlock: Favorite Episode?

Options
NathanFronk
NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
I LOVE Scandal in Belgravia. Irene Adler is awesome.

What's your favorite Episode?

And as a secondary question, why is BBC so capable? It seems all of their mini series are far and away superior to everything but a few American shows. We Yanks love you Brits, and are deeply regretful we had to thrust off the tyranny of your oppression, but really, we wish we made TV shows as well as you.

Replies

• Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    To say all bbc programming is great and all American is poor is an over generalization with is not fair in my opinion. I do notice one thing though that can help aid the stereo type you put forth which is money. Budget for American shows especially American dramas are huge. So in an attempt to gain popular enough they must be watched by a majority of viewers to even stand a chance to make enough ad money to get off life support and into syndication. Taking chances can cost early viewer numbers and kill the rating enough to cut the show before mid season. BBC shows seem to be made with budgets a fraction of American shows so must use cleaver writing to make up for a lack of glitter and glamour of its American counter parts. This allowing them to partake more risks.
    Beyond that where America has Hollywood to snatch the best talent into movies away from the taboo American Tv, the BBC is known to not be a step down for famous British born a list actors for work. Where Gary Oldman has done a guest spot on friends it would be shocking if he took on a contract job on a prime time American drama, but no one would bat an eye if he was the lead of a bbc mini series. Now beyond that there is the subject of quantity vs quality. The mentalist I think is a great show. It has it high points and low points alike. But each season has to be so many episodes. It has to be drawn out, and that means half way through the series it has already formed its own cliche moments. BBC seems to lack the need to have to leave bread crumbs toward the plot, but will tell the story as if the path is the story. If the story runs out it was ment to be over then. It it takes 6 episodes before the resolution it was because it needed 6 episodes to properly set it up. Not. Because sweeps week was comming up.
    That all said there is plenty of crap on bbc and plenty of hidden gems in the states. One I though would be horrible, but ended up loving was The League. I went in thinking it was going to be a messy bad dream in a frat house with fart jokes. What I got was a show on that got to take enough risks because it was a network nobody expects anything from. Same goes for Louie, and Wilfred, but technically Wilfred is a remake from some other country like the office.
  • Gabrielm80
    Options

What's your favorite Episode?

Been a year since I watched them so i dont remember the name of the episode but I would say the one based on novel A Study in Scarlet, and the one you mentioned than, the hounds. I didn't dislike any, but thought the season 2 end was rushed. Plot rushed or not it was flawless in many ways. Since I don't know exactly what is in store season 3 I will have to trust the writer needed it to happen already. I look forward to the next season
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    hounds of baskerville!!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Oh, oh= still going
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

this one was good too. i honestly enjoyed and was really drawn into every episode. it's a great series.
  • Gabrielm80
    Options
    hounds of baskerville!!
    Defiantly the best Watson moments in that one
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    I like all of them & cannot wait until the next season. The Blind Banker was lackluster, but enjoyable after 20 mins, at least for me.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The BBC is commercial free (their radio stations and tv channels do not carry any adverts and they don't have product placement within shows.) They are paid for by a license fee that is compulsory to pay if you own a TV over here. We expect good programming and impartiality in return. Not always possible in the real world, but they try. I think there is a tradition associated with the BBC here - until the 1980s we only had three TV channels and two of them were BBC so for a lot of us they ARE television. I do like the drama and documentaries that they produce - Sherlock is mesmerising and I can't wait for another series - but am also very glad we get good shows from the US! Life would have been less entertaining without Six Feet Under, True Blood, Walking Dead, ER, Mad Men, Big Bang Theory etc
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The BBC is funded by public money through the TV licence (and, obviously, selling rights overseas). Budgets are therefore very tightly monitored so quality drama will typically be recorded in a series of just 6 episodes (and a mere 3 for Sherlock, after all the original story supply is limited), as opposed to the 12 for a new US series, and 20+ for an established one. Thus the creative talent is spread less thinly - both main actors have done a good half-dozen projects between series.

Coincidentally, Sherlock series 2 is being repeated on BBC One starting tonight with A Scandal In Belgravia.