Drinking and lifting...

Options
Planning on have more than a few beers tonight but I'm due for a heavy chest and shoulder work
out after work. How badly does ddrinking ruin your workout? Should I make today a rest day instead of tomorrow and hit the weights tomorrow?

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If it's not a frequent regular occurrence, I wouldn't over think it.

That said, if I was going to combine drinking and a work out at all, I'd rather train before drinking, than the day after when I will likely be tired and hungover.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about what alcohol does soon after a workout. Interested in responses.
  • NathanRx
    NathanRx Posts: 4
    Options
    Alcohol is shocking for you diet wise, calories are huge in it and releases estrogen/oestrogen , however if its not a regular occurrence I wouldn't think about it, but the workout if personal preference I think but if your not vomiting, then I would say a fresh workout would liven and freshen me up a bit
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If it's not a frequent regular occurrence, I wouldn't over think it.

That said, if I was going to combine drinking and a work out at all, I'd rather train before drinking, than the day after when I will likely be tired and hungover.

This is pretty much what I was going to say.

I rarely drink, but when I do I would rather go to the gym beforehand instead of the next day. Hungover sessions are never any good IMO.
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have had occasion to drag myself hungover into the gym. Yeah you are not going to be performing at your best but I actually felt a hell of a lot better afterwards.

In my head i would rather keep my schedule consistent even if i had to wuss out on a couple of reps!
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Drinking in moderation is fine, pretty much like anything. Although to answer your specific question, I would not drink before doing a workout. Just like I wouldn't drink and drive.
  • twhite4550
    twhite4550 Posts: 25
    Options
    Fine with me as long as you burn it, twice.