Juicing

Options
Hello! My name is Lori, and I just started using this website. Has anyone had experience with juicing? I am trying a 3 day reboot plan, then hope to extend it up to 15 days. I weighed in at 200 and plan to lose 50 pounds, then decide if I need to lose more. Any support and/or suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• beckerkra
    beckerkra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Lori, and I just started using this website. Has anyone had experience with juicing? I am trying a 3 day reboot plan, then hope to extend it up to 15 days. I weighed in at 200 and plan to lose 50 pounds, then decide if I need to lose more. Any support and/or suggestions are welcome.

I actually just recently bought a nutribullet and I LOVE it. I prefer a nutribullet over a typical juicer because I always hated cleaning them, and the main reason is because I just didn't feel right throwing away all of the leftover fibers. It just didn't make any sense because I was throwing away a lot of good nutrients along with it.

I'm on the second day of a nutribullet fast and my plan is to do a 10-15 day, possibly a full 30 day fast depending on if my doc thinks it's warranted and would help. So far it hasn't been as hard as I expected. One smoothie/juice will last me for many hours without being hungry.

Good luck on your reboot plan!
  • Lorisjuice
    Options
    Hi! Thank you for your response, you were my only one today... I guess not that many are into juicing. We are both on the second day! I have a doctor appointment next Wednesday, so I am going to try to stick it out at least until then, even though I only committed to 3 days. My cholesterol was high at my last two appointments, so I am hoping the juicing brings it down.

I will have to look into the nutribullet. The one I have is a Black & Decker and was cheap, so I thought it would be a good start. Have you seen the movie "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead"? It's a documentary about a man who decided to juice for 60 days. I have been using his suggestions on a website called Rebooting with Joe.

Good luck to you too!
  • degausser234
    degausser234 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    So I don't do juicing for every meal, but I like to try and replace at least one meal with juice either every day or every other day.
    If you're looking for a great book, check out the Juicing Bible by Pat Crocker. He lists every type of ailment/condition/disease and then discusses what you need to bring in and take out of your diet as well as juice recipes for that specific condition.
    Keep up the great work with you detox, I know its super hard!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this whole juicing fad. Juice is one of the least nutritious things you could be consuming. Sugar and a few vitamins. Better just eat fruit, as well as actual food. The lack of protein and fat in juicing will lead to serious health issues, especially if that's all you're consuming.

Losing weight is pointless if you're losing muscle instead of fat, and that's pretty much what will happen, lose a bunch of water weight and muscle weight. Having some juice along with your regular diet is fine, but just consuming juice is a recipe for disaster.
  • beckerkra
    beckerkra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thank you for your response, you were my only one today... I guess not that many are into juicing. We are both on the second day! I have a doctor appointment next Wednesday, so I am going to try to stick it out at least until then, even though I only committed to 3 days. My cholesterol was high at my last two appointments, so I am hoping the juicing brings it down.

I will have to look into the nutribullet. The one I have is a Black & Decker and was cheap, so I thought it would be a good start. Have you seen the movie "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead"? It's a documentary about a man who decided to juice for 60 days. I have been using his suggestions on a website called Rebooting with Joe.

Good luck to you too!

Yep, that's what inspired me to do a juice detox, but I just didn't like the concept, and didn't feel it was that healthy to fast purely on juice over having the full fruit/veggie (not saying it can't be unhealthy, and I LOVED the movie, and it's a HUGE inspiration for me), so I did more research and talked with a couple doctors I know and decided on the nutribullet because I can do so much more with getting the nutrients I need and having it more like drinking whole foods vs drinking a "juice" that you just disregard the leftover fibers.

I found it to be healthier for me personally if I were to have only these juices/smoothies per day because I can add other things in to help supplement more nutrients in like for example adding almonds to my smoothies since just fruits and veggies don't really get me much in the way of protein.

Example: 1 of my smoothies today was Half Raw Kale, And the other half was mostly fruits like Peach, Banana, and Strawberries. I also added a little over 1 serving of almonds for the protein and healthy fats, and 2 tbs of flax seed for the omega 3s. Filled the container with water up to the max line, and 30 seconds later I have a nicely pulverized concoction of whole fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds (20-24oz is typically what I get out of it).

I put in different veggies, and different fruits for different smoothies so I'm getting a good variety throughout the day. So sometimes I'll put in Spinach instead of Kale, or throw in a clove of broccoli, cauliflower, or cut up some carrots and throw those into the mix (replacing some of the kale or spinach, otherwise the finished product starts tasting too much like veggies. I'm not to the point yet of developing my taste for veggies >.<), and then obviously different fruits as well. I always throw in my almonds, and flax seed though for the added nutrients, protein, healthy fats, and omega 3s.

Of course, always consult your doctor first before going onto these detoxes so you know if you may need to supplement other items in to get the nutrients you may be missing (I know you've already started, but just try to be careful in the mean time that you're not starving your body). I'm lucky and have a couple people I know who are doctors, so they've been helping with my questions until I can meet with my family doctor tomorrow to show her exactly what kind of smoothies/juices I'm making for my detox so she can review my blood work and tell me if there's something I should be adding into my juices and smoothies to better my health along with losing the weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Suggestion: You don't need to juice to reboot. There's no scientific evidence that it does anything more than cut calories to lose weight. And you can cut calories without juicing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • snoopycool
    snoopycool Posts: 37
    Options
    My own experience with juicing has been positive, though I am just starting back after having a baby. I did a 5-day fast last year, and felt pretty fabulous afterwards. I'm not going to fast now because I'm a nursing mother, but I do drink vegetable juices a couple of times a day in addition to eating a lot of raw vegetables and an otherwise healthy diet.

I've seen "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" - that's why I started juicing (subsequently, I watched many other documentaries on juicing, and was blown-away by anything having to do with the Gerson Institute). I have the Breville juicer that Joe had in the movie, and it works well. If you want more info on juicing, find Drew Canole on Facebook.

Good luck to you in your endeavor!