Cereal!

Options
I love cereal and really don't want to cut it from my diet completely. Is there any brand of cereal you can recommend that isn't completely loaded with sugar and is somewhat nutritious? I'm a huge honey bunches of oats fan :)

Replies

• NathanRx
    NathanRx Posts: 4
    Options
    I really like the chocolate weetabix, they're 160kcal per bowl (of 2) and they're really nice, alternatively there are also honey weetabix, but I'm not sure on the nutritional values of them.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    There's no need to cut anything from your diet completely or deprive yourself of the things you like to eat. You just need to weigh and measure everything that goes in your mouth and be aware of the nutritional value. Portion control and moderation are, I think, the most important thing about losing weight. Eat your honey bunches but have a smaller bowl than usual or only have them at weekends or every second day. You won't feel you're missing out then and are more likely to stick with your plan.
  • littlelouis
    littlelouis Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Grape Nuts with some sort of fruit! Most of the Kashi cereal brands are pretty good, too.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Plain weetabix only has 2 grams of sugar (2 biscuits). I had to do the same and cut out on my branflakes as I discovered it was ladled with sugar.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Two cereals that I eat regularly are Total and Uncle Sam.

But I eat sugary cereals too. They make great desserts, just eat them in moderation.
  • natmadc
    natmadc Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My suggestion: Find a cereal you like look at the servings and fit it into you calories. If you are worried about sugars and fat and all that, just look at the nutritional labels until one fits your requirements
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Fiber One!

I mix 2 tb fiber One with original Special K and with either one of the raisins and almonds bran flakes, or with one of the Special K varieties like the almonds, or yogurt, or strawberries with chocolate.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I would eat Peanut Butter Multigrain Cheerios for every meal if I could. They're whole grain (which makes you wonder why they don't advertise whole grain instead of multigrain, which means nothing), have I think 110 calories per 3/4C serving, and taste like rainbows.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love cereal and really don't want to cut it from my diet completely. Is there any brand of cereal you can recommend that isn't completely loaded with sugar and is somewhat nutritious? I'm a huge honey bunches of oats fan :)

Fiber One
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Go to the store, look at what looks good, check the boxes, pick something with less than 5g of sugar or something. I still have cereal once in a while (having the special k protein kind right now), but to be honest it doesn't fill me up that much so I try to avoid it most days.
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had stayed away from cereal while I was losing the majority of my weight. Plus with only two people in the house now, it's tough to use up milk fast enough.

But last week I went to the grocery store and decided to get some cereal. I read some labels and settled on Kashi Go Lean. I really like it. Be aware when you're reading the labels that some cereals show 1/2 cup as the serving size, some 3/4 cup and some 1 cup. So make sure you're comparing apples to apples!

My new favorite breakfast which is REALLY filling is 1/2 serving of the Kashi cereal (1/2 cup) with 1/4 cup skim milk, plus an omelet with 1 egg, 2 egg whites, a tablespoon of bacon crumbles and a slice of sargento ultra cheese. Total for the cereal and omelet is 255 calories!!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I like anything by Kashi. They have a nice variety of flavors/styles, taste good, and are easy to fit into my daily needs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    And don't measure by cup, measure by weight. You can easily eat 200 extra calories of cereal if you're not careful.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of most of the Kashi cereals and I keep chocolate and peanut butter Cheerios on hand for snacks too. :)
  • Jennms85
    Jennms85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like the kashi go lean or Kellogg's vector on my weight training days because they are really filling and packed with protein. Usually I have Special K original or multigrain Cheerios on my day off and add strawberries or blueberries.
  • Kellbellftw
    Kellbellftw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love cereal. I LOVE IT! There is never a moment my house isn't stocked with at least one box! I never ha to cut any out of my diet because most cereals, at least the ones I look at, aroun 120-140 calls a serving, and that's pretty decent in my book. I don't get any cereals with marshmallows , though. I tend to stick with vanilla almond Special K, Honey-Bunches of Oats, cocopuffs, frosted flakes and the many generic forms of those types of cereals. Except Life. I never get generic life. Throw some fresh fruit in your cereal, an now it's even better for you! I use milk from soy to 2% but nothing higher than that.
  • lmw6796
    lmw6796 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try yogurt with granola! It takes the place of cereal for me. :wink:
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I would eat Peanut Butter Multigrain Cheerios for every meal if I could. They taste like rainbows.
    I'll have to try these, once I finish up my box of fruity Mini-wheats!
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    natures path !
  • Davesgrl_92
    Options
    I was thinking Fiber One too :)