Cleaning

Options
Hi, this may not seem related to eating healthy or exercise, but I need motivated to clean my house. When I get home, I just want to read, watch tv, or check out the Internet. These distractions also prevent me from planning good meals and exercising. Let me know what promotes you to get off your butt and do some work. Also, cleaning also helps to burn calories.

Replies

• FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    the thing that motivates me is knowing the longer I put it off the harder it will be.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I found flylady.net a few year ago. Her simple advice helped me change my thinking on cleaning and motivates me because its small changes to my routines. Her music DVD is wonderful, although a bit old fashioned but helps get me going daily with my house cleaning. lol
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    if you want, tell yourself you can't sit down and read or watch television until you throw a load of wash in or stack the books and papers. Take odds and ends at a time. I'm assuming that your living space is disheveled, I live more or less that way and am comfortable with it. I wouldn't let it get to the point of having to call in the pest control guys.:noway:
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Maybe try inviting some guests over for a later date. The only thing that motivates me to clean is when people plan to visit my apartment (family, friends or maintenance). The fear of embarrassment over having them see messy rooms keeps me from being lazy.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I used to find logging cleaning on mfp very motivating.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Bump. ( I like to read about cleaning)
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I work full time so I just don't have time to clean through the week. But I make an effort at the weekend, usually first thing in the morning, get the washing on, clean work bathroom, do whatever else needs cleaning. Then you have the rest of the day to yourself. Someone else said invite guests over and that will motivate you, this is certainly true for me anyway. It's just pride that makes me want to keep my living space clean.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Since working out at home I found that I get a lot of small housework jobs done between sets when I'm lifting. I like to wander about during my 2-3 minute rests to keep the blood circulating and these breaks give me ample time to load the washing machine, fold laundry, do a spot of dusting, scoop the cat little trays, sweep the floor, etc. etc. This adds to the growing list of reasons why I love working out at home.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hi, this may not seem related to eating healthy or exercise, but I need motivated to clean my house. When I get home, I just want to read, watch tv, or check out the Internet. These distractions also prevent me from planning good meals and exercising. Let me know what promotes you to get off your butt and do some work. Also, cleaning also helps to burn calories.
    I watch HOARDING: BURIED ALIVE for inspiration. once I am done watching that show my housework doesn't seem so overwhelming.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Maybe try inviting some guests over for a later date. The only thing that motivates me to clean is when people plan to visit my apartment (family, friends or maintenance). The fear of embarrassment over having them see messy rooms keeps me from being lazy.

this for me too!! whenever someone is coming over i get into a frenzy of cleaning the bathroom, kitchen, changing sheets and tidying up.

i want to be proud of my apartment!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Get it done and over with and then you won't have to worry about it. Then you can relax.
  • angelatjones16
    Options
    I have 2 kids & a dog, I HAVE to tidy up daily. Then, I do my major cleaning on the weekend. Put on some music, light some candles and go at it.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I used to find logging cleaning on mfp very motivating.
    :wink: Win win situation ...
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I hypnotised myself last week to give myself pleasure from doing cleaning, ironing etc.

I have cleaned every day since and feel amazing when I see my flat all clean and tidy, it is not for everyone but it works for me :laugh:
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :smile: Try tidying up the night before ... so when you get home from work you only have minimal things to do ... I use to do this when my children were small ... and it worked well for me .:happy:

Routine is the best option ... :wink:
  • SidsMom80
    SidsMom80 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i used to be the same way. I would always procrastinate cleaning until I couldn't stand it or I had people coming over. I'm not sure what finally snapped in my mind. I would say give yourself small goals to start making it a habit. When i make dinner I no longer allow myself to let the dishes "soak" overnight and the next day, and the next... Everything goes into the dishwasher as soon as I'm done. I also give myself no more than 4 hours on a Sunday to get all the laundry done. I usually do it while I catch up on my DVR shows. Just keep reminding yourself how good you'll feel when it's all done :)
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I have had times that I have done the same thing. What I find helps the most is that I don't sit down when I get home. I get off at 4 and go straight home and start supper. I try so hard just to do one thing every evening that is needing to be done. Big or little. I try to do something "extra" every night. That way it doesn't get so out of hand. Bonus is the exercise and the feeling of achieving something. Makes me feel good :tongue:
  • NSMustanggirl
    NSMustanggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I try to go to bed with the house just a little cleaner than it was the day before. Kind of forces me to get little odd jobs done! And if I don't, I try to make sure I spend some time first thing in the morning tidying or getting jobs that need to be done completed!
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have had times that I have done the same thing. What I find helps the most is that I don't sit down when I get home. I get off at 4 and go straight home and start supper.

This - except I get done at 4:30. If I sit down when I get home from work that's me done for the day. I'll start supper immediately and if I didn't do my JM DVD before work I'll do it while everything cooks. If, however, I was successful in waking up early and working out, then I'll go around the house and pick up. We have a Golden Retreiver and 2 cats - there is ALWAYS hair to vacuum. :grumble:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    Options
    What I find works for me is just starting with one room, then another room the next day, and so on.

Of course now I do this pretty daily, but it keeps it from getting totally blown and trying to clean it up when it feels overwhelming.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition