Gaining weight on 1,400 calories?

Options
First off, I should say that I'm underweight.
I suffered from disorder eating for a couple of years. I only ate 900-ish calories a day. And I am now 112lbs at 5'10.

However, I've started to slowly up my calories. I've been eating at 1,300 - 1,500 ( usually 1,400 ) for maybe three weeks now.
Though, when I woke up this morning and weighed myself, I saw that I was 113.3. Yesterday, I was 112.8.

Is it possible to gain on this low amount of calories? Or is this a fluctuation that's temporary?
I was told to gain I would have to start eating 1,900 which I was slowly getting to. But if I am gaining at this number, do I have to eat more?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Weight shifts all the time. It's totally normal. I would expect you to gain weight though from going to 900 to 1400 a day, at least for a while.
  • hardyjessicag
    hardyjessicag Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You may see a jump in the scale at first, but I really don't think you will ultimately gain the weight you are looking to on only 1400/day.

Was 1900 calories/day what was recommend by a doctor? If so, I would continue to try and make it up to there, and continue to have your health monitored. You're body will become more predictable once it is used to eating again.

Best of luck to you :)
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I had been eating low cal for a few years and found that any time I ate a bit more, even below my supposed tdee, i gained weight quickly. I think I possibly have slowed my metabolism down. I've gradually upped mines to 1500 and now find that the weight doesn't go an as quick and I am losing again.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Ok - the difference is half a pound - probably water or possibly glycogen reserves in muscle starting to come back a bit. Keep eating and work your way up to the full 1500 and see how it goes there (try adding some higher fat alternatives, if you can't manage the "bulk" - full fat milk or salad dressing, nut butters or just plain nuts are easy ways to add another 100 or so calories to whatever you currently eat). At 5'10" you may eventually need more than 1900, if you do any exercising, but take it slow so your body can safely and comfortably adjust. My daughter is about that tall, not heavy (VERY active) and probably carries between 130 and 150, depending on her physical activity level (losing and gaining primarily fat - she eats well and easily increases lean body mass)
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    At 5'10 you would definitely need more than 1400 calories to gain weight over any significant length of time. Courtesy of the disorder, I can understand if your mind rebels at the thought of 1900 calories or more, but if you need to, drink them. Protein shakes, smoothies, whatever, to get in your nutrients and major food groups. That which works against the overweight may help greatly with the underweight.
  • traciezolman
    Options
    I am no expert - with humans ( I have horses and watch their weight daily with my older one) I have noticed that when he gets " under" weight ( for what he should be ) he gains it quick at first and then when I get him to a solid weight ( not heavy - just close to normal ) it gets harder to put weight on him. Meaning, he needs more calories to gain. I work closely with the vet and suspect its true for humans. I would think ( again no expert) that this will regulate. I myself have been very under weight at times, and it throws everything off... it's very hard, I know with an eating disorder not to watch and obsess daily. My thoughts would be to TRY your best to give your body time. When you get to a safe, healthy weight and your system gets comfortable with that you will be much more able to predict, understand etc.... at least that has been my experience with myself and my old horse :) I hope that helps !!!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    First off, I should say that I'm underweight.
    I suffered from disorder eating for a couple of years. I only ate 900-ish calories a day. And I am now 112lbs at 5'10.

However, I've started to slowly up my calories. I've been eating at 1,300 - 1,500 ( usually 1,400 ) for maybe three weeks now.
    Though, when I woke up this morning and weighed myself, I saw that I was 113.3. Yesterday, I was 112.8.

Is it possible to gain on this low amount of calories? Or is this a fluctuation that's temporary?
    I was told to gain I would have to start eating 1,900 which I was slowly getting to. But if I am gaining at this number, do I have to eat more?

You are underweight. Gaining weight is a good thing. Eat.
  • coffee_fiend
    coffee_fiend Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is all fantastic advice, thank you!
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    It could just be water retention for extra sodium. It could be you haven't gone to the bathroom yet. Keep doing it for a month, if the weight gain stops, up your calories.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    My weight will change +/- 7 pounds daily.
  • Kristine7813
    Options
    Even without doing anything different your body can naturally fluctuate up or down 3-5 pounds in one day. This is considered normal.
    It's hard to do but not paying as much attention to the scale as to how you look or feel is the key.
    Numbers affect you so much more psychologically. I can look in the mirror and feel that I look se*y- yet, turn around, step on the scale and want to cry...
    I read an article that said to pick a pair of jeans that make you feel fantastic - ignore the scale and go with THAT.
    Makes sense to me! ;)
    The scale is not the final determination on your health and looks.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    My weight will change +/- 7 pounds daily.

That's from the ice cream and poptarts. :bigsmile: