how to get a deal at gym

Options
Hi it looks like im going to have a gym to countiue to loose weight. I want to save as much money as possible any suggestions on how to save money off gym membership?

Replies

• ajewellmom
    ajewellmom Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have noiced people on Kijiji trying to get someone to take over their memberships. They generally will pay any cost of transfer and then you have a shortened term, just in case you hate the place or start going and then get bored of it.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Groupons usually have some gym in your area that is offering 2 or 3 months for what a month cost waving the joining fee. Catch in most cases is that you could not have been a member there in the last year, and you haven't visited it in the last year (sometimes 6 months depends on the gym). So check out groupons.
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi it looks like im going to have a gym to countiue to loose weight. I want to save as much money as possible any suggestions on how to save money off gym membership?

Out of curiosity, what's your perspective on why you need to join a gym to lose weight?

In my experience (limited though it may be), people look to gyms for cardio/weights to supplement dietary changes (i.e. getting fit in conjunction with weight loss and/or increasing your caloric deficit to make dietary adjustments easier).
  • mish24canada
    mish24canada Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have been doing jillian michaels dvds for 45 days but now i cant do her dvds. I got a noise complaint from the city due I guess the jumping. Also the same lady called the management and my super saying that I'm making to much noise in the morning. So that is my reason behind having to join a gym. I live in Canada so its going to snow and it would be more difficult to do much outside.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I agree with the groupon deals. The gym that I joined had a $15 first month trial. After that I signed up paying $40 a month and I get the summer for free. My first payment is the end of Sept. Do you have a YMCA near you?
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest what's the gym fees in Canada ?? We have a local gym near where I live that has recently offered a years membership at £15 a month. It would have been cheaper if I'd paid the whole year (something like £525 up front but didn't want to do that. Are there gym's in your area that maybe do deals like that, might be worth checking out.
    Good luck
    H
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Find out from they gym if they have discounts if you work for certain companies. When I joined a big name gym, they had a list of companies that they had agreements to give discounts to the employees, as long as you have proof of employment when you signed up, you got a discount (I didn't have to pay any start up fees and got a 20% discount per month on the fees)
  • mommarobb
    mommarobb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you work, see if your workplace will help foot the bill. A factory I used to work at did that cuz it helped lower their insurance premium. Also, to start, many gyms offer a free week or 2 to try out. SNAP offers a month for something like $8. If you can pay for a membership in full, ****er about the price, if you can join with someone sometimes they will give a discount rate. Also check your local Y, if you have one, we don't :(. And depending on your income, if you have a community centre or some type of activity building that is gov't owned, they may offer subsidy. Hope that helps.
  • mish24canada
    mish24canada Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There is a YMCA but its not within walking distance so i would have to take the bus there which would be extra cost or I would have to wake up my fiancee to drive me because i dont know how to drive.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Ride a bike? Get your license? Run? How far is too far?

I'm not trying to sound bad here, but for years I always had one reason or another not to do what I needed to do. I'm just now recovering from it all. Fitness wise, I've been good for a long time ... now I'm getting control of the eating side of the equation. So what I'm trying to say here. Don't let the obstacles stop you. For every obstacle there is an answer to overcome it. I don't know how many miles you are talking.

If it is 5 or less miles, make the walk (and in the future the run) a part of your workout. If it is 5 or more ride a bike and make it a part of your workout. If you are talking huge miles like 60 or so ... maybe it is time to get your license. Just remember, it is easy to find a reason not to do ... you have to want it.

Also know that a gym isn't a requirement you can get fit without it, it is just a lot of people find that they do better with a gym. I for one do it without the gym.

I ride, and I use resistance bands. Have fun, and you know there is a lot to get from just walking. So until you figure out the gym thing ... walk, and walk some more.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    There is a YMCA but its not within walking distance so i would have to take the bus there which would be extra cost or I would have to wake up my fiancee to drive me because i dont know how to drive.

Learn how to drive. =) You'll want more freedom some day. I was in my early 20's when I finally bit the bullet, and my whole world opened up. I know that doesn't help with today's question, but it's very important. That and your neighbor's a ninny. When you have your dirver's license you & your fiance can move someplace without neighbors. The possibilities are endless.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If you know anyone who teaches classes at goodlife, they get a membership to give away on their yearly anniversary. Its a card they give to you, then you pay $250 plus tax (was $200 until this year) for the full year. If you don't, then peek kijiji or other such sites because some employees actually sell off those memberships for $50 or $100 kind of thing, then you just pay your $250 and go. Normally its something like $30 every 2 weeks, so its quite the savings. The only other gym I know anything about is YMCA, they usually have some type of program based on your income if you happen to be considered low income.

There are many other gyms out there, but I don't know anything about them.

OHHHHHHHHH!! I don't know if you have one in your area, but Goodlife has a set of gyms they have been opening up over the last few years called Fit4less. They charge $10/month for access and they are 24 hour access gyms. The reason they make it so cheap if because all the perks are nil. They don't have any classes or trainers... it is literally just you and the equipment.... but that may be okay for you if that is what you are looking for.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

I know where you can get a FREE treadmill complete with fresh air and scenery-changing feature.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,551 Member
    Options
    Look for:

No fee sign ups
    Group on coupons
    Company discount
    Specific day memberships (IE. Monday, Wednesday, Friday only memberships)

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition