always freezing

Options
hey fellow MFPers,

Ever since I started losing weight, or rather a bit into it, I noticed that I am cold ALL THE TIME.
people around me wear shorts and tank tops and im in a hoodie and jeans and still cold.
my hands are ice blocks, so are my feet.
I don't even run the AC in my house yet, and i live in MIAMI.... its HOT and HUMID here

i guess it makes sense since im missing a lot of fat, but shouldnt the body adjust at some point?
Im starting to get worried that it could be a medical thing? ( i know I have pretty darn low blood pressure, could it have to do with that?)

has anybody made a similar experience at all?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    This is one of the signs of eating at too low of a calorie allowance.
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? I have problems keeping my body warm when my thyroid levels are too low.
  • ohnstadk
    ohnstadk Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You could be low on iron. Women have troubles in general with their iron levels and your changes in weight and diet could be a component. You could ask a doctor for a blood test to confirm, or up your iron intake for a few weeks to see if you feel better. Just don't go over recommended dosages. Iron levels can be increased by food or by supplements. Since I cant see your profile or diary I don't know which to recommend. I hope this helps.
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when i first lost weight after having GB surgery. I lost 237 lbs and suddenly realized what all my skinny friends were always complaining about. It's the one and only thing i miss about being obese. Could be that you are having a medical problem too like everyone suggest but could also be that you just never noticed it as much because being heavier keeps you warmer.

Congrats to your successes by the way,

Cheers

Tess
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i've always been small/underweight, and i've never adjusted to it. for years i have been freezing and i think i always will be. plus my circulation kind of sucks, my mom is the same way. maybe eventually you will but for myself, my coworkers will all be sweating in the back office and i am totally content in pants and a t shirt (not as hot in ny but it gets humid and in the mid 90s). the onlly time i get really hot is if i am out in the sun. right now i dont have the fans or air on but when someone else come sin for the later shift i know theyll be turning it on lol. brrrrr. have you had your iron checked at all?
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is actually very normal and, unfortunately, your body may not "adjust". There is probably nothing wrong with you.

I had the same experience when I lost 90 lbs many years ago. I kept that off for about six years, the entirety of which I was "cold-blooded." I did not start to feel warmer until I regained most of that weight back. Again, this is a fairly common thing that many women who lose substantial amounts of weight experience. I say, go to an endocrinologist to get that stuff checked out for peace of mind - but don't be surprised if everything comes back better than fine.
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this when I done the 5;2 near the end of the 2 fast days. Perhaps try eating enough for maintenence rather than loss for a wee while to see if it makes a difference, and if not, see your GP to rule out any underlying causes. x