One can consume 20,010 calories in 10 minutes.....

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
If they are Joey Chestnut. He ate 69 Nathan's Hot Dogs yesterday at the annual Nathan's Hot dog eating contest surpassing his last years record of 66.
Even the second place eater ate 14,500 calories (50 hot dogs and buns).

He actually weighed 8lbs more after the 10 min contest.

I find these contests interesting just for the reason of how the body can adapt when exposed to extreme measures.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    The idea of eating for sport makes me shudder.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    OMG.............!!!!
  • jendarlin
    jendarlin Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Amazing...and yet just gross!!! :sick:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    What's interesting is that many of the top competitors eat much better and take care of their bodies better than the average person.
    I used to think they were just gluttons, but they actually have good methods on how they prep for a contest and how they train their bodies off season.
    I wouldn't consider them "athletes" by any means, but many have to exercise efficiently to keep their weight down.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    It's funny how some of the best 'sport' eaters are in pretty good physical condition. Not what you would expect.
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    That is very interesting actually. The stomach is only about the size of our fists but can stretch up to 4-6L. which is a TON of food. If I ate that much I don't think I would want to look at another hot dog again...
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It's a fascinating contest, although I find it harder and harder to watch. They all look like they are in pain and the thought of eating 69 hot dogs grosses me out. Especially when they water down the bun for easy swallowing. Yuck, wet bread is gross!!! They have a mens and womens contest now. The top woman ate 36 in 10 minutes.

I noticed at the end of the show, the contest was brought to you by : Major League Eating. They have their own professional eating league.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Doesn't Joey Chestnut run marathons? I know he does a lot of running and weight work in order to burn off the calories he eats from the competitions.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I find this contests rather tragic and in bad taste (pun unintended). There are people around the world who struggle to get enough food to eat and you get idiotic competitions like this. As countiries in the western world are struggling with Obesity they really are a tragic mirror of our societies
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    The idea of eating for sport makes me shudder.

This
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Awesome to see them do that.

Even better that the guys that do well at it are usually extremely well fit and workout constantly and have a planned carefully followed regime, not a bunch of huge slobs of people cramming food into their face like they're at the buffet like most people would expect. Not for me, but awesome to watch.
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    I feel physically sick.
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I find this contests rather tragic and in bad taste (pun unintended). There are people around the world who struggle to get enough food to eat and you get idiotic competitions like this. As countiries in the western world are struggling with Obesity they really are a tragic mirror of our societies

I agree. I really hate "contests" where the winner is the one who engages in the most self-destructive behavior.