Need easy lunch ideas

Options
I work 12 hrs and at times it is difficult for me to prepare things the night before. I don't want to eat frozen meals as they are high in sodium. Does anyone have quick ideas for meals..Thank you

Replies

• diablitaMN
    diablitaMN Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like to get the salad bags by fresh express. My favorite is Farmer's Garden. Then I add some fresh salsa and tortilla strips instead of dressing. Add a side of fruit and that is my usual lunch. I sometimes will just bring leftovers from the previous nights dinner as well.
  • casper5200
    Options
    Never tried that..it sounds wonderful..thanks
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I love eating a toasted cinnamon rasin bagel with peanut butter. You would need a toaster for this at work but yummy it's so good
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I make big batches of things when I have time on a weekend, then freeze as single servings. My two favorites are turkey chili and salmon croquettes. I buy already cut celery and carrots, so just grab one frozen thing, a few of the veggies and an apple and go.

I also purposely make too much of dinner most of the time and pack up the leftover in a contain for lunch.

Between those two strategies, I only have to do the weekend cooking thing about once every 4-6 weeks, which is about how often I'd feel like doing it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    - Hummus, Pita, and fresh veggies
    - left overs
    - sandwiches
  • mikemsu
    mikemsu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am on the road a lot with my job - sometimes 3 days in a row. I have a insulated vinyl bag with a plastic liner to carry prepared food in 1 cup and 1/2 cup plastic zip lock containers. I use a couple of 1 liter water bottles frozen to keep things cold. As for the food, various low sugar packed in water fruits, low sodium cottage cheese, greek yogurt, tuna & chicken salads are easy to prepare. I even make my breakfast egg omelet (egg, mushrooms, turkey sausage, low fat cheddar cheese, finely cut broccoli) ahead and heat it in the hotel microwave for breakfast. I'll make some of these up a couple of days ahead of when I'm traveling so it's nice and chilled in containers and ready to go. It also works to grab at home when times are busy. It help keep me in control of my sodium and sugar intake and knowing what I'm eating.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    Make a batch of chicken breast over the weekend and have them in ziplock baggies ready to go for quick addition to meals. I work weird hours so I usually bring low-sodium snacks like popcorners, guiltless gourmet chips, low sodium black bean hummus, 45 calorie Sara Lee wheat bread, low sodium deli meat (Beef is usually the lowest 250mg --poultry is usualy 350+--), and jalepeno mustard. I make myself a sandwich for lunch with chips and hummus. Breakfast is usually oatmeal, protein shake blend, or Quest bar. Linner (between lunch and Dinner) is usually that chicken breast and a frozen veggie (I just bring a freaking bag of spinach) and heat up and eat. I was a big Lean Cuisine eater but the sodium kept me back. I eat them every blue moon when I forget to bring my "bag of treats."
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    bump to save ideas!
  • Zebusz
    Zebusz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love going on pinterest. I usually find some awesome wrap ideas! So easy to make and tastes great!
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    sliced apples or pears dipped in greek yogurt