Giant calves

Options
I've been on MFP for 2 weeks now and things are going great. However, one thing I'm curious about...

I carry most of my weight in my midsection and my legs actually don't have much fat. Instead, my calves are HUGE with muscle. Now I understand, they've had to grow that way to carry my tubby butt around but they're still ugly. I'm wondering if they'll shrink to a normal size as I lose weight. How does one go about losing muscle in a specific area like that?

Anyone know?

Replies

• jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the exact same thing! It's so hard to find any tall boots since they won't fit around my calves!
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    i think big calves are nice! i would love to have the huge calves I did in high school when I played volleyball and worked out on a calf raiser machine everyday!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I used to have giant calves. Since I have lost a total of 36 lbs (26 of them on this site), I have lost down to 14.5" calves.

So, even tho they seem to be all muscle, the fat in them will melt away along with the rest of your fat reduction.

Do you stretch your calves after exercise? I heard that lengthens (therefore makes less bulky) the muscles. Also, when exercising your legs, do quick repitions with low weights. That strengthens muscles, without bulking them up.

I love my smaller calves and you will, too. :drinker: (lots of water and green tea.)
  • conniestar
    conniestar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!
    I can honestly say, I have NEVER had small calves - even when I was at a "normal" body weight. I have come to accept that it is just the way I am built. I have looked at old photos of my grandmother, and even when she was young and thin, she had them too. I have, like you jsecret, never been able to wear tall boots. I'm ok with that.
    I am thankful that my legs are strong and muscular, considering the alternative.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have wide calves too. And they were big and muscle-y at smaller sizes.

Here are some places that have wide calf boots. Not cheap but not too bad.

http://www.widewidths.com/

http://www.silhouettes.com/Product/Shoes+Boots/David+Tate+Leather+Dress+Boot/D-10500/P-401851x

You'll have to mail order them but tall boots for those of us with strong calves are out there.
  • nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses. I'll have to remember to stretch more after I exercise!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i will tell you how to spot reduce your fat areas its not what the exeperts call healthy :huh: but it works okay you get down to your goal weight and you still have a fat butt big belly thunder thighs or giant calves. you drop your fat grams below 20 and you start exercising the area that you need :grumble: or just exercise period and your body will start pulling the fat it needs from the problem areas to use as fuel models do this all the time it dose work one thing you might be eating to many fat grams for it to be storing fat
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    Spot reducing doesn't work (although it would be nice if it did!). You can certainly work specific muscle groups so that those areas become more toned as you lose fat, but as you lose weight, the fat's going to come off over your entire body. Your body may also tend to slim down more quickly in certain areas before others--for me, that's my upper body. I'm guessing it's going to take me another 10-15 lbs before i start seeing some significant changes in my hips, thighs, and calves...but I know I'll get there, eventually!

In my opinion, it's best to make sure your exercise regimen includes a good balance of cardio and a strength training routine that works all of your major muscle groups, not just the ones you feel are trouble areas.
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    Spot reducing doesn't work (although it would be nice if it did!). You can certainly work specific muscle groups so that those areas become more toned as you lose fat, but as you lose weight, the fat's going to come off over your entire body. Your body may also tend to slim down more quickly in certain areas before others--for me, that's my upper body. I'm guessing it's going to take me another 10-15 lbs before i start seeing some significant changes in my hips, thighs, and calves...but I know I'll get there, eventually!

In my opinion, it's best to make sure your exercise regimen includes a good balance of cardio and a strength training routine that works all of your major muscle groups, not just the ones you feel are trouble areas.