Will running shoes make my feet stop hurting?

Options
I'm still a bit overweight, i'm 257 lbs now, but I like running a lot. Thats my best exercise. I try to run/walk 3-5 miles a day, the only thing that stops me is my feet hurting really bad. I think I might be flat footed. I try not to run on my heals that much and doesn't really help. I wear old worn out shoes when I run that could be the issue.

Will running shoes make my feet hurt less and possibly benefit me more?? Or should I just go spend like $30 on some regular shoes to wear when I run?

Replies

• glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    They might. That said, you might also have some sort of biomechanical/medical issue.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    A good pair of running shoes should provide full arch support while offering sufficient padding to cushion the impact. They should also fit loose enough to allow for expansion and swelling while tight enough to prevent rubbing and, correspondingly, blisters.

When I started running, I basically wound up with tendonitis in my feet. My doctor gave me a set of orthotic insoles for my everyday shoes so my feet could "reset" during the 17 other hours of the day. I also for myself a good pair of running shoes that fit like a glove and make my feet feel nice and cozy.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Make the investment in a good pair of running shoes. It won't be cheap but your feet will thank you.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Running in poorly made shoes are not going to help the situation. You do want to run in proper shoes... but as someone else mentioned, it could also be biomechanical, medical, etc. You might need orthotics, especially if you have flat feed. Do your feet only hurt while running or is it afterwards too? If the arches of your feet are sore after running, try rolling a tennis ball under them for a little while. (Note: I'm not a medical professional! Just someone who has experienced sore feet!)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Definitely get properly fitted for running shoes at a running specialty store.

Also, take a form clinic. Good form is very important! Most running stores offer them, or you can find some good info here: www.goodformrunning.com.
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    A good pair of shoes will help, but have you checked out your technique at all? When running you wanna try to just use the front half of your foot, like the ball and toes and try to keep your heel from touching the ground. I learned this from a professional runner. It feels awkward at first but it really reduces the impact on your feet and calves. When I was running at first my legs would hurt so badly but once I started paying attention to my technique it stopped hurting so bad.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'5" and 220 pounds. I was stuck at 3 miles until I went to a running store and had some folks check me out. They discovered I was using the wrong shoes and actually inhibiting my running. They determined I was a neutral runner with a high arch. I got the right shoes and I went from 3 miles to 9 in a few weeks.

I am now up to 14-16 miles on my long runs with no issues.

Shoes make all the difference!!!

Btw, your profile says you are at Full Sail. There is a Track Shack close to you on MIlls. Go there. Ask them.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    A good pair of shoes will help, but have you checked out your technique at all? When running you wanna try to just use the front half of your foot, like the ball and toes and try to keep your heel from touching the ground. I learned this from a professional runner. It feels awkward at first but it really reduces the impact on your feet and calves. When I was running at first my legs would hurt so badly but once I started paying attention to my technique it stopped hurting so bad.

There's a difference between heel striking (which is what I'm sure what this person was refering to versus having your heel not touch the ground at all. The second scenario is not fun in the long run.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep,, its important to have a good pair,worth the money!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    if you enjoy running and you are going to continue running invest in a a good pair of running shoes. not $30 running shoes but good running shoes (my first pair cost me $140 but it is worth every penny spent on them). i have arch issues and good shoes make a world of difference. go to a reliable running store and get fitted for your shoes.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Be logical - you're pounding your feet in crappy shoes. Are you actually surprised your feet hurt? LOL. Go to a running store and invest the money in a really great pair of shoes and don't settle for shoes that aren't comfortable immediately. They are the most important thing you will buy in terms of equipment. I wore used Asics when I first started running because I wanted to make sure I was serious before I made the investment. They were OK and got me through the C25K program. My first pair new shoes were Nikes and they were NEVER that comfortable and wore out very quickly so they were a really bad investment. Then I switched to Brooks Glycerin and I can run absolutely pain free for miles and miles. No foot pain after either. They literally changed my life and my attitude about running. Now I actually look forward to my runs now that my feet no longer hurt. They are worth EVERY penny. I'm going to get new ones soon because I've worn these out even thought they're STILL remarkably comfortable. Get insoles too if recommended - they'll extend the life of your feet and your shoes. FYI - Glycerins are made for heavier runners (I'm not heavy anymore but still run in them), with a neutral gait, and somewhat high arches (LOTS of padding and cushioning).
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Be logical - you're pounding your feet in crappy shoes. Are you actually surprised your feet hurt? LOL. Go to a running store and invest the money in a really great pair of shoes and don't settle for shoes that aren't comfortable immediately. They are the most important thing you will buy in terms of equipment. I wore used Asics when I first started running because I wanted to make sure I was serious before I made the investment. They were OK and got me through the C25K program. My first pair new shoes were Nikes and they were NEVER that comfortable and wore out very quickly so they were a really bad investment. Then I switched to Brooks Glycerin and I can run absolutely pain free for miles and miles. No foot pain after either. They literally changed my life and my attitude about running. Now I actually look forward to my runs now that my feet no longer hurt. They are worth EVERY penny. I'm going to get new ones soon because I've worn these out even thought they're STILL remarkably comfortable. Get insoles too if recommended - they'll extend the life of your feet and your shoes. FYI - Glycerins are made for heavier runners (I'm not heavy anymore but still run in them), with a neutral gait, and somewhat high arches (LOTS of padding and cushioning).

i run in glycerins as well. love them!
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't waste any more money on $30 pair of shoes. I was doing that. I went through 4 pairs of runners doing this. I'm also jogging and I was literally killing my feet. I ended up going to a proper shoe store, getting fitted and walked out with a new pair of shoes. The new shoes have made a big difference. Go get fitted and grab a proper pair of shoes for you. The price might seem a little steep but considering how many pairs of runners you'll go through and not to mention the pain you are suffering, do it! :) Worth it!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Definitely get properly fitted for running shoes at a running specialty store.

Also, take a form clinic. Good form is very important! Most running stores offer them, or you can find some good info here: www.goodformrunning.com.
    yes. all of this.

it's an investment in YOU. Your feet will thank you, so will your knees, back... legs... everything else. Your wallet may cry, but it'll get over it.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I spent the best $115 of my life on a pair of Saucony running sneakers. No more knee pain - no more hip pain -- no foot pain. It's awesome.
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of this week i had my gait analysed and then got myself some new decent trainers.

Did it make a difference?? Hell yes! Im a normal runner so just need shoes with cushion but my god it now feels like im running on bags of air, 100 x better!! No more sore feet! An added plus was the trainers was in the sale, yay!

Go to a good running shop and get yourself sorted, trust me it will make the world of difference, wish id done it much sooner!
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go to a specialty running store and have a gait analysis. They will watch you walk, stand, and walk fast (or even have a machine that will analyze it) then have you try on different pairs of shoes based on your needs. Then you can decide which pair feels best. As a runner for 25 years I CANNOT stress the importance of good shoes and the RIGHT fitting shoes!! Your body depends on it. Do not waste the money on $30 shoes, a good pair is going to cost you around $100. Let me ask this, would you ask the doctor to give you a cheaper medication if it only covered a fraction of your symptoms or could make it worse, or would you rather the doctor give you the correct medication to help you? It's the same logic with running shoes and your body!!!
  • newleaf431
    Options
    I have flat feet as well. My feet used to always get sore from too much walking...until I got running shoes/a shoe with decent support. I went out to Payless and got $30 running shoes and it definitely made a difference - even in my back.

You could always go somewhere where they have those machines - i think its dr scholls. You stand on it and it tells you what your arch is. I think ive seen one at walmart before.
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet as well. My feet used to always get sore from too much walking...until I got running shoes/a shoe with decent support. I went out to Payless and got $30 running shoes and it definitely made a difference - even in my back.

You could always go somewhere where they have those machines - i think its dr scholls. You stand on it and it tells you what your arch is. I think ive seen one at walmart before.

Dont do this. As others have stated, you need to go to a specialty store that specializes in running and have them analyze/fit you for a decent pair of running shoes based upon your needs/running style. I am overweight, not a serious runner and I'm currently doing the C25K program. I was running in a pair of Nike's (not designed for running) and had pain in my legs/feet everytime! I went to a running store, they had me run on the treadmill and they videotaped my running style. I was able to watch the monitor to see that I over-pronate (I believe thats what they called it) where my feet kind of goes in towards each other while running. They had me try on different shoes that would (1) correct the pronation, (2) provide cushion so that my feet no longer hurt and (3) provide enough room to allow for swelling of my toes. You wont get the needed pair of shoes to correct your issues at Payless.

I spent about $130 but its worth it to NOT have anymore feet/leg pains.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I was told to get new shoes every three months. I think new shoes, but don't go cheap. Have them fitted by someone who knows running. Also check out CHI running. There is a book, or you can go to clinics. They help you with your form.