my knees are killing me

Options
MayKu12
MayKu12 Posts: 15 Member
Hi guys, I hope I am not the only with this problem. I am new to exercising so I decided to do the 30 days shred (bad idea) since its starts with level 1 and some moves have been modified for beginners like myself. I enjoyed it so much I have done 8 days on level 1 but now I can't even walk down or up the stairs it it hurts badly the worst is getting up from the sofa carrying my 7 month old son. My question is "is this normal or have I caused myself an injury? Please help.

Replies

• Jovan0609
    Jovan0609 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I started experiencing this issue, along with low back pain, with the Turbo Fire workouts, but I found out that it was my shoes. I changed out the insoles and replaced them with the Dr. Scholl's active series inserts and that seemed to really help me a lot. If I go REALLY hard, I still experience some knee pain, but I've found that icing them while they're elevated for about 20-30 minutes at night seems to help with the pain as well.

hope this helps some.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important.

You should be taking at least 2 a week. You don't have to do the 30 day shred every day.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you are new to exercise you should start by walking for a week or two, and doing Yoga stretches before you jump into the 30day Shred. You need to give your knees a chance to adjust to the new activity you are demanding of them.

BTW I have RA in both my knees and have to be very careful of the stress I put on them and I am about 60 days into my exercise program.
  • MayKu12
    Options
    Thank you guys, I'm definitely taking some days off from exercising. I will also try the shoe inserts but the ice seems to be doing nothing to the pain.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Go see a physician and get a referral for a physical therapist who is willing to help you modify your exercise regime to maintain healthy knees.

When my knees started hurting, I "played through the pain" like an idiot, and further damaged already fraying cartilage. After working with a good physical therapist, I'm back to pain free lifting again - but I'm doomed a life of Romanian dead lifts and hack squats . . . and stuck on an indoor elliptical or stair climber for cardio instead of running.

Don't be me.
  • lynneh81
    lynneh81 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try reducing the weights for the knees presses. Make sure you wait 2 full days before trying to do weights again. I also have RA and am finding it very difficult to do the exercises that involve my knees.
  • MayKu12
    Options
    Trust me I have learned my lesson lol:) for the next month or so I will be doing light exercises.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Your body's telling you to rest and recover. Modify the workouts as necessary to keep the pressure off your knees more. Someone mentioned yoga...this could be a good idea. I know my body responds well to yoga. Best to see a doctor first to rule out any knee injury.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    The problem with home DVD's is that the majority of people who try to do them have incorrect form. May feel right, may kinda look right, but unless you know how to squat correctly, repetitive incorrect movements will cause pain and inflammation in joints. Get pro to check your form. You'll save yourself a lot of misery.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aryastark8
    aryastark8 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had this happen to me when I started running post-pregnancy. Apparently my body was not used to running with all the extra weight, and I overdid it on my first or second workout. I had to take a few weeks off to let the knee heal, and then started building it up again, much more slowly. I started with very short running intervals, like 1-2 mins, and built it up very gradually, and this worked much better :-) You do need to let your knees heal, to avoid getting a serious injury. Good luck!
  • mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You may have caused yourself some injury. I started exercising at 336 pounds and I had knee pain at first. Stairs were misery. When it got too bad I'd take a day off or I would do a workout that didn't cause the pain. As the weight came off that knee pain has almost completely gone away. Stairs can be a little dicey in the mornings, but I run an average of 8-10 miles a week now with no trouble.
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Walking and yoga is a great idea, as mentioned above. Gets you moving and stretching and gradually prepping your body for more intensity!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    No, your knees should not hurt. Having sore muscles is normal. Painful joints suggest that you are hurting yourself. Take a rest, ice your knees, try some low impact exercise like water exercise or a recumbent bike. If this pain doesn't go away soon, see a doctor, preferably a sports medicine doctor, or a physical therapist, rather than a GP. When you are pain free and can get back to your shred, make sure that your form is perfect and that you take rest days.

I take easy days in between days of strength training or strenuous cardio. You may be able to do more, but alternating easy and hard days has been working for me.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    ****TRY THIS

A few years back I went to my doc and she gave me some bad new. The pain in my knees where chronic arthritis and I would always be in pain. WELL a friend told me about glocosamine and chondroitin. Its a frickin miracle supplement. I use it and my knees improved 100%. I bike a lot and do other types of cardio to off-set the damage thats irreparable. Good luck!
  • MayKu12
    Options
    I suspect I have caused myself an injury because the pain that I am feeling is different from the soreness you get from exercising, I will have to see my doctor.
  • Shea100
    Shea100 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you for all for your responses, and for the original post. Knee pain is making it tough to meet my walking goals too. A hot soak in a deep water bath helps heal the soreness for me, but I don't know how to prevent it when walking. I'm going to find my knee braces and see if they will absorb some of the shock. A 1-day break also helped, but the pain returned on the next walk. Will try to incorporate everyone's advice.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    My knees have hurt since I was 30. Since then I have been running for the last 5 years, so I take Glucosamine and Chondroitin every day and they actually hurt less often. I also wear knees straps to keep from making my knees worse. Doing the 0 Day Shred (which I did a few times) you may want to wear a knee brace. Don't give up, because it may not ever do away!!
  • CAS185
    CAS185 Posts: 20
    Options
    It's normal to feel super sore after a killer workout. Just give yourself a few days rest and jump right back in. As your body grows stronger you will feel less sore :)
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    30 day shred was hell on my knees, I was in good shape when I started that dvd, ran 20+ miles a week and wasn't overweight so I know that wasn't it. It just has a lot of moves that hurt my knees. So I stopped doing all the jumping and modified some of the moves. Maybe try that or try a different work out dvd.
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I suspect I have caused myself an injury because the pain that I am feeling is different from the soreness you get from exercising, I will have to see my doctor.

It's sounds like you may have over done it. I did the same. I didn't rest enough and developed a bad knee. I had pain for 8 months. Then my marathoning older brother suggested magnesium citrate. It is a mineral we don't get enough of unless we eat ALOT of green leafy veg. This mineral aids the restoration of muscles and tendons. I started taking 400 to 600 ml every night before bed. It was a freaking MIRACLE after 8 months of pain! I healed in two weeks. Have been fine for years with lots of jogging and walking. You might check out if you are getting the right vitamins as well as a doctor visit and more rest between work outs till you build up. W e need to have enough vitimins and minerals to help the body heal after exercise.