PAUSE... Shake... EXPLODE

Options
I am going through a stressful time in my life, and have been hosting a bit of a pity party. I have been thinking about it today and have decided to...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRy4QmK4TKxyVwFtHZVuW5kGKc6vwn-sUCkL2vgbTMkOEeB881Q

and think a bit...

Life can be tough. We can lose a loved one, struggle with an ex, experience financial concerns, lose sight of our goals, backtrack physically, struggle with illnesses, experience relationship difficulties... or in my case, all of the above.

We can experience all manner of emotional distress when surrounded with the crap in our lives, and it is so easy to wallow in it. It is so easy to dwell on the garbage, and focus all our thoughts on those things that drag us down.

If I do that, it's as if I am a swimmer who is drowning and have decided to give up. It's like I am deciding that the fight is not worth it, and it's time to breathe in that water and allow it to embrace me and drag me down.

But I cannot do that. I WILL NOT do that. Instead, I choose to...

dog-shake-o.gif

SHAKE IT OFF!

I will choose to remember the good in my life...

I have...
- two amazing children
- a roof over my head (and a lovely one at that)
- great food in my belly when I am hungry
- a body that supports me when I ask crazy things of it... boxing... shooting... swimming... running.. playing with my kids
- a family that loves me, and I love back
- friends that love me, and I love back
- a good, solid job

the list goes on.
and on.
AND ON!

When I remember to think of those things, they give me the strength to keep fighting, to keep pushing, to beat that nasty shizz that tries to drown me.

And that is when I get the renewed energy to explode out of the water
trolling-a-cat-animated.gif

If you are struggling... I encourage you... take a few minutes to record the things that cause you to fight.

Share them here
Print them out and post them on your fridge.

And maybe.. for those who feel like giving up... the list of our blessings may remind them of theirs, and help them fight too...

Replies

• jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    ....and that's why you're awesome, congrats on bouncing back and getting out of your funk!! \m/
  • Chlochloeaway
    Options
    Good for you. Keep on keepin' on! :)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i needed this, sandy. thank you. yes, my problems right now are very first world--bummed about being played by an online dude...wondering if i'll ever find love in my life--seeing most of my girlfriends married and happy and starting families. but i have to shake it off and remember some things :)

1. next sunday i'll celebrate 6 freaking years of continuous sobriety. i used to be a trainwreck--an irresponsible, dishonest, messy, sloppy binge drinker with a lack of self respect (and a well of emotional and mental struggle).

2. i take care of my mental health through therapy, my physical health (inside and out) through exercise and nutrition, my emotional health through friendships on MFP and "IRL" and relationships with my family, nature, music, etc.

3. i am gainfully employed and have a college education. i have a car. i have a roof over my head. i have two parents who love me to the ends of the earth. i have a great brother and sister-in-law. my extended family cares about my well-being.

4. i am alive and have all five senses. which i cherish dearly.

5. :) XOXOXO ♫ <3.
  • schmetterling1
    schmetterling1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You are an awesome fighter amazing woman and a wonderful mother and friend. (((HUGS)))

I love you for that :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker:
  • trodney1104
    trodney1104 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Keep on keepin on! :flowerforyou:
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    You have a way of bringing the BEST out in people even when you are not feeling YOUR best.

It's that selflessness and love you share even for those that really don't deserve it that makes you so special.

I am truly blessed to count you as a friend and inspiration. You make me a better person just by knowing you.

<Insert Cute .gif Here>

*Sorry, I'm not as .gif-ted as you in that department! LOL
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    i needed this, sandy. thank you. yes, my problems right now are very first world--bummed about being played by an online dude...wondering if i'll ever find love in my life--seeing most of my girlfriends married and happy and starting families. but i have to shake it off and remember some things :)

1. next sunday i'll celebrate 6 freaking years of continuous sobriety. i used to be a trainwreck--an irresponsible, dishonest, messy, sloppy binge drinker with a lack of self respect (and a well of emotional and mental struggle).

2. i take care of my mental health through therapy, my physical health (inside and out) through exercise and nutrition, my emotional health through friendships on MFP and "IRL" and relationships with my family, nature, music, etc.

3. i am gainfully employed and have a college education. i have a car. i have a roof over my head. i have two parents who love me to the ends of the earth. i have a great brother and sister-in-law. my extended family cares about my well-being.

4. i am alive and have all five senses. which i cherish dearly.

5. :) XOXOXO ♫ <3.

And you are an inspiration to many.

Congrats on 6 years!!! That is the biggest battle to fight, and you're doing it! You'll be better able to manage the relationship with the RIGHT guy when it comes.

You are beautiful, wonderful, and amazing... INSIDE AND OUT! xoxo
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    You are an awesome fighter amazing woman and a wonderful mother and friend. (((HUGS)))

I love you for that :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker:

I love you too, my dear sweet butterfly girl! You are a model of a great mom, and you have been one of my best friends on here and in real life. I value your friendship, insight, and personality.

BEAUTIFUL!!!

xoxo
    :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

and maybe some :drinker: too!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    spooking that cat was hilarious!!
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    You have a way of bringing the BEST out in people even when you are not feeling YOUR best.

It's that selflessness and love you share even for those that really don't deserve it that makes you so special.

I am truly blessed to count you as a friend and inspiration. You make me a better person just by knowing you.

<Insert Cute .gif Here>

*Sorry, I'm not as .gif-ted as you in that department! LOL

Rob, you have been my background support system for months and months. You cheer me on when I'm struggling, you lift me up when I'm down. You KIK me when I need that bit of motivation to....
    tumblr_lxz49yzSMn1qfk9l9o1_500.gif

^^ there's your gif ;)

and thank you for being awesome
  • cookieluvsya
    cookieluvsya Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    yay!! glad you seeing the positive (and you have a lot of it) in your life :) Just keep on trucking Sandy :) I have issues that I need to work on but I know that my family and close friends are all I need to survive.. and money.. but I have a decent job.. so yea.. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!! and that cat gif cracked me up!!
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options

Rob, you have been my background support system for months and months. You cheer me on when I'm struggling, you lift me up when I'm down. You KIK me when I need that bit of motivation to....
    tumblr_lxz49yzSMn1qfk9l9o1_500.gif

^^ there's your gif ;)

and thank you for being awesome

See... You can even turn a pity party :sad: :cry: into a love fest :drinker: :heart: :smooched: :love: :flowerforyou: !

You're the BEST!
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Terrific motivation on your internal reflection...thank you for reminding us of how strong we can be should we choose to be!
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, That poor cat!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yes! Exactly!

It can be hard to do in the moment, but the reflection that "giving up" wouldn't solve any of the problems that bring us down has gone a long way to helping me set my priorities.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I've been in a funk myself...but seriously, how can one not be happy seeing a tiny cat on a huge pause button? :flowerforyou:
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    This is excellent! I've been in a funk for the past couple months, too, and shaking it off has been difficult. Your post is a GREAT idea, and I'll definitely play along.

1) I have an incredible husband and daughter, who support all my efforts to become a fitter, faster, more FUN version of myself.

2) I have a job that allows me to provide for my family.

3) I have an incredible network of professional colleagues that is helping me find a better job!

4) I have a great network of friends on MFP that reminds me every day why this is an amazing place to choose to track food and exercise, and to seek support.

5) My life is damn awesome, even on the days when I find it hard to list all the awesome things about it.

403_08042013_11.jpg

Thanks, MireyGal76 - you are a class act!!

Edited, because huge picture was huge.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    In for this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    What a great post!! With cute gifs even. Thanks!! Makes my lunch taste even better now that I am that much more grateful for it. :flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    why does this happen sometimes? double posts?