Fresh, healthy meals for two

Options
JNOwens
JNOwens Posts: 8 Member
Hello all! I'm struggling to find recipes for good, wholesome meals for two. Whenever I cook I end up making enough for a school bus no matter how much the recipe calls for. I guess I assume the meat will go bad so I end up cooking a whole package but it ends up getting wasted. Any tips?

Replies

• wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you cook enough for 4 (I only seem to be able to cook in large quantitites, but there are 5 of us!) then could you freeze 2 portions for another time when you're short on minutes?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    thats how i always cook!! i don't have time to cook a new meal every day. bulk cooking is the standard in my house.

cooked meat can stay in a sealed container in the fridge for a couple of days or even a week. hell, one time i made turkey burgers, and left one out over night on the counter. i ate it for lunch. i'm still fine.
  • annelwatson
    annelwatson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When i buy my meat i seperate it into the size meals i want and then freeze it.
  • JNOwens
    JNOwens Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've never frozen anything before ( I know.. it's strange) I guess I'll have to give it a try. Do freezer bags or tupperware keep it from getting freezer burn longer?
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When i buy my meat i seperate it into the size meals i want and then freeze it.

^^ This is what I do.
    I use freezer bags, doesn't take up much space that way.
    I don't really like eating the same food again the next day but my hubby will happily polish off last night's leftovers for his lunch :smile:
  • missyrawien
    missyrawien Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Freezer bags and Tupperware are great, the food doesn't normally get freezer burn unless you leave it in there for months. Plus Tupperware stacks nicely! Freezing portions of meals is a godsend, whenever I can't be bothered to cook there's always something tasty in there! Plus if you make different meals for a week and freeze them you end up with loads of food in there to go through but you don't have to eat the same meal three days in a row.
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I cook for two as well. Instead of making meal plans and freezing entire meals etc, I just cook large portions of meat and then freeze them in 1 - 1.5 cup and 0.5 cup portions in baggies. Usually I'll just season with black pepper and garlic powder so that I can add other specific seasonings later when I'm actually making a meal with the pre-cooked meat.

Usually I just cook in a pot on the stove but if I buy large cuts of pork I'll throw the whole thing into the crockpot with some water, onion, garlic and seasoning and then separate the meat once cooked and freeze that as well.

It does go through bags but I think it's worth it. Just remember to label with the date frozen!