Not losing weight at deficit of 1500 calories daily?

Options
Hey guys,

This is another "why I am not losing weight" kind of topic. I have started working out working out a month and a half ago and when I say a lot I actually mean it. I am burning 800-1500 in the gym alone every single day doing cardio, weights, swimming, aerobics, pilates and basically everything my gym has to offer. I almost live there! On top of that, I am eating about 1400 calories of clean food a day (and about 120-130 grams of protein). I haven't cheated on my diet once, but I have only lost 4 pounds! Can you believe this?

I just don't understand how is that even possible, if 1 pounds is 3500 calories and if I count my BMR+all the calories I lost in gym-what I have eaten in a given day - I am averaging at a deficit of 1500 calories daily. So why am I not losing weight? The whole situation is really upsetting and my family is starting to sort make fun of me saying that if I could actually work that hard it would show more. I am 5'6 and 174 lbs, so not really petite.

Any suggestion, why am I not losing weight?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Newbie muscles gains plus water weight.

But, why are you starving your body? You'll see better progress in your workouts if you eat to fuel them properly.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You eat 1400 and burn off (at minimum) 800 leaving a net of 600 calories? That would be the problem, or part of it anyway. Starving your body will result in a quick loss at first, but then you will start to lose lean mass (muscle) and hair starts to fall out, nails get brittle, etc.

EAT.
  • JayeEJaye
    JayeEJaye Posts: 3
    Options
    Fornasetti, if you find out I hope you let me know because I am having the same problem, although I am not as dedicated to the gym as well as you are. Maybe you are not taking in enough calories because that can inhibit weight loss. But whatever is causing it, please don't give up and ignore any comments your family is making. Maybe the weight is not coming off right now, but it will and you are getting stronger inside. Keep up the good work.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Too much of a deficit can cause muscle loss. Losing mostly muscle = less toned and higher bodyfat percentage. Maybe you should try to take things slower.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Newbie muscles gains plus water weight.

But, why are you starving your body? You'll see better progress in your workouts if you eat to fuel them properly.

Agree, you should probably be eating at least 2000 calories a day if not more to feed your new muscles. How much are you trying to lose a week? You should probably only aim for 1.5lbs per week to lose. Also, double check your sodium intake.

I was running at a huge deficit like that and I started gaining weight back and losing my hair. Eating more has reversed that in just one week. And changing the amount I want to lose to the amount I should lose. Good luck.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Why so much exercise?? Eat more to fuel your body!!!
  • jadermary
    jadermary Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    please eat more
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    you are eating no where near enough to fuel your body if you are burning that kind of calories in a day.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    We sound similar ... I'm 5'6" and when I started here mid-May (about a month and a half ago) I was 180. Currently 168 (down 12 pounds). I work out a LOT too (elliptical, bike, weights, jogging. I have NOT been able to convert to clean eating (I'd like to, I just like my snacks too much) or even controlling calories (averaging 2000 daily, with some high, some low days).

People here will probably say (even if you are eating clean) to keep a diary and open it up. While you say you are eating clean and staying at 1400, you don't seem to be logging here at MFP. Are you logging somewhere? Are you weighing food to make sure your calorie estimates are correct?

What are you using to determine your calorie burn estimates? I have a Fitbit, my machines give me a reading, and I just bought a HRM ... and it's coming in lower than what I thought I had been burning.

As you are crunching numbers, you need to make sure they are as correct as they can be. There can be SO many places where the numbers can easily get off.
  • fornasetti
    Options
    I am just not getting it then. How will I create calorie deficit if I am eating more? I am aiming for at least of net deficit of 7000 calories or more every week at the moment, but as I said it doesn't show up on the scale. So confused right now!
  • fornasetti
    Options
    We sound similar ... I'm 5'6" and when I started here mid-May (about a month and a half ago) I was 180. Currently 168 (down 12 pounds). I work out a LOT too (elliptical, bike, weights, jogging. I have NOT been able to convert to clean eating (I'd like to, I just like my snacks too much) or even controlling calories (averaging 2000 daily, with some high, some low days).

People here will probably say (even if you are eating clean) to keep a diary and open it up. While you say you are eating clean and staying at 1400, you don't seem to be logging here at MFP. Are you logging somewhere? Are you weighing food to make sure your calorie estimates are correct?

What are you using to determine your calorie burn estimates? I have a Fitbit, my machines give me a reading, and I just bought a HRM ... and it's coming in lower than what I thought I had been burning.

As you are crunching numbers, you need to make sure they are as correct as they can be. There can be SO many places where the numbers can easily get off.

I am using fatsecret food journal at the moment and that's how I am counting my calories. Also I am only eating lean meat, salmon, eggs, vegetables and limited amount of fruits in the first half of the day. I have bmr, so I fully rely on it when it comes to how many calories I burned. For example today I did an hour of pilates, 1,5 h of cardio, 30 minutes of weights, 1 hours of aqua aerobics and 40 minutes of swimming - and that all before 2pm.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

This is another "why I am not losing weight" kind of topic. I have started working out working out a month and a half ago and when I say a lot I actually mean it. I am burning 800-1500 in the gym alone every single day doing cardio, weights, swimming, aerobics, pilates and basically everything my gym has to offer. I almost live there! On top of that, I am eating about 1400 calories of clean food a day (and about 120-130 grams of protein). I haven't cheated on my diet once, but I have only lost 4 pounds! Can you believe this?

I just don't understand how is that even possible, if 1 pounds is 3500 calories and if I count my BMR+all the calories I lost in gym-what I have eaten in a given day - I am averaging at a deficit of 1500 calories daily. So why am I not losing weight? The whole situation is really upsetting and my family is starting to sort make fun of me saying that if I could actually work that hard it would show more. I am 5'6 and 174 lbs, so not really petite.

Any suggestion, why am I not losing weight?

Where did you get the idea that this was the correct formulation to go with?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I am just not getting it then. How will I create calorie deficit if I am eating more? I am aiming for at least of net deficit of 7000 calories or more every week at the moment, but as I said it doesn't show up on the scale. So confused right now!

When you setup MFP, did you select a goal weight loss amount, like probably 2 lbs weekly?

Then your eating goal - with no exercise expected, already has that deficit to cause that to happen.

They take a deficit off non-exercise maintenance level.

But now you exercise, you just increased the maintenance level for that day by 600-800 calories.
    Take the same deficit amount off.

Well, your eating goal is now 600-800 calories more than a non-exercise day.

Bigger is not better, unless you like losing muscle mass and feel like a lifetime of yo-yo dieting with worse and worse success each time, eating less and less to get any success.

In addition, do you have any clue at all of how much you used to eat that got you in to trouble, likely when you were not exercise either?
    That's all you have to take a deficit from, and with no exercise, would lose weight.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Did MFP tell you to eat 1400? Then you already have a deficit - anything else you burn off is extra and should be eaten back in order to fuel your body - or at least some of it should be eaten back...
    You do know that just being alive (and not moving - just lying down and breathing) burns about 1400 calories a day - depends on size age etc....If you eat 1400, then work off 1500 - you are forcing your body to canabalize your muscles in order to stay alive....
    Don't do that...
    If Mfp tells you to eat 1400 and you burn 800 in the gym, you need to eat at least 1800 or more.....
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Sounds like over training & under eating. Great article on this right here: http://www.shapefit.com/overtraining-exercising-too-much.html

Food is fuel, and it sounds like you're pushing your body hard on an empty tank. Eat too little for too long, especially with hard workouts, and your body wants to store fat rather than burn it.

From reading your posts, it sounds like you're confused on the daily deficit. If you've entered your info at MFP correctly, or even if you haven't for that matter, whatever they give you for your daily calorie goal already has that deficit built in. Meaning you can eat to goal every day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose. This is why they add your burned exercise cals back into your goal - you are supposed to eat them or you are creating a HUGE deficit, which can cause more problems than good in the long run.

If you have less than 100 lbs to lose, enter your weekly loss goal to no more than .5 to 1 lb a week. Then do your best to NET your daily goal, eating back exercise cals. And you could probably cut back on all the exercise - more isn't necessarily better. Too much over-stresses the body - read the article I linked you to. :tongue:

Eat well, exercise, drink plenty of water, get good rest - both sleep and rest days. It does a body good!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

You probably are not creating the deficit you think you are. Do you measure and weight everything accurately, and log everything you eat and drink? You may also be over-estimating the calorie burn you get.

Also, do you actually need to lose weight? Are you considerably overweight, or just trying to lose the last 5-10 vanity pounds. If you are at a healthy weight already, the weight will be slower coming off. Be happy with the slower weight loss rate and be patient.

ETA I see that you have 20k or around 45 pounds to lose. At your size, 1 pound a week loss is a good rate.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    <<<<<running around placing pillows for when this poster keels over....which will happen>>>>> please eat more and back off on the exercise a bit. You need to take better care of your body,its the only one you get.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Sounds like over training & under eating. Great article on this right here: http://www.shapefit.com/overtraining-exercising-too-much.html

Food is fuel, and it sounds like you're pushing your body hard on an empty tank. Eat too little for too long, especially with hard workouts, and your body wants to store fat rather than burn it.

From reading your posts, it sounds like you're confused on the daily deficit. If you've entered your info at MFP correctly, or even if you haven't for that matter, whatever they give you for your daily calorie goal already has that deficit built in. Meaning you can eat to goal every day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose. This is why they add your burned exercise cals back into your goal - you are supposed to eat them or you are creating a HUGE deficit, which can cause more problems than good in the long run.

If you have less than 100 lbs to lose, enter your weekly loss goal to no more than .5 to 1 lb a week. Then do your best to NET your daily goal, eating back exercise cals. And you could probably cut back on all the exercise - more isn't necessarily better. Too much over-stresses the body - read the article I linked you to. :tongue:

Eat well, exercise, drink plenty of water, get good rest - both sleep and rest days. It does a body good!

^^^^ This. There is no point to doing that much exercise per day to start with and you aren't eating enough to even come close to fueling what you are doing.
  • mkdickinson89
    Options

I am using fatsecret food journal at the moment and that's how I am counting my calories. Also I am only eating lean meat, salmon, eggs, vegetables and limited amount of fruits in the first half of the day. I have bmr, so I fully rely on it when it comes to how many calories I burned. For example today I did an hour of pilates, 1,5 h of cardio, 30 minutes of weights, 1 hours of aqua aerobics and 40 minutes of swimming - and that all before 2pm.

WOW! I wish I had that kind of time...
  • iballin
    Options
    thing is he/she should be still losing weight... is that to big of a deficit ? possibly.. recent studys have concluded that every pound of fat you have can burn 31 cals, so the more over weight someone is the more of a deficit theyre aloud to have... because your body isnt going to tap into muscle tissue if you have 40 pounds of body fat to lose even at a larger deficit, i have to agree with the 1 person above who said, maybe she/hes not counting calories right because your body fighting back against to big of a deficit is slightly overrated yes it exists but only to extent no energy from food for the body to use, it will tap into that fat, so telling her shes just in to big of a deficit is probably not the answer.