30+lbs lost, still haven't dropped a pant size!

Options
So how much weight did everyone lose before they were able to fit in smaller clothes?

I am down over 30lbs now, and I still fit in my jeans loosely, but when I try on a size under they are still too tight to button. I have to admit it discourages me a little bit!

*grumble*

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Losing 30 lbs for someone who has more to lose is less noticeable than someone with less weight. I started at 220 (at 5'6) and lost probably around 30-40 lbs before I went to a smaller pant, the next 2 sizes happened much faster and I am ready again for another drop.

It really depends how much you have to lose as well as where you carry your weight and where you are losing from. Some folks drop in certain areas before others, other folks drop all over evenly. I've seen some drop almost 10 lbs just from the face before anything else even moved.. Don't let it get you down, keep doing what you are doing - it will happen!
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I hit 20 lb lost and sometimes I can wear a size smaller, sometimes not.. of course it came off my face and chest instead of around the gut where I need it gone the most... Sucks but stick with it, one day it will be boom 2 sizes down.
  • tapdancr2192
    Options
    I hear you on this! Any time I've lost weight in the past, it came off my face and chest before anything else, and this most recent time is no different. Stick with it...any pounds lost, no matter where it came from, is excellent!! :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs and went from a size 10 to a 2 or 0. Obviously, I didn't have a whole lot to lose, and lost all of it rather quickly. I don't think I will drop much or any more weight, or get smaller than size 0.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My daughter in law had the same complaint, I didn't have the heart to tell her that her pants were so tight before we weren't sure how she was able to breath or that someone was going to lose an eye if the button let go!
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    ive only lost 13lbs and based on measurements the weight came off my stomach and arms and my waist has barely changed. Just depends on your body. good luck
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    @Dancing Moosie: There's a smaller than 0 size? No way!

@OP I started a tight 16, probably would have gotten away with 18's but I didn't want to admit I was that big. About 30 pounds less I could fit in 14's, and they fit loosely. I can now squeeze into 12's but am waiting to wear them in public until I lose a bit more. I definitely am losing faster in my shoulders, chest and back than on my butt and thighs. But now that I've started losing in my bottom half I am hoping it keeps up. Not that I'm disappointed in losing back fat; I am glad that it's gone, I think I look much better without that bunching around my bra. Of course I had to get new bras due to chest loss...still looks better even down a cup size.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It really depends firstly on what weight/size you currently are and secondly on body shape.

First, there's a size disparity among the larger sizes (size 18+ US women's). If you look at sizing charts, there's usually a 4 inch or more gap between these sizes. So for example if you wear a size 20W pant, you would need to lose at least 4 inches off your waist/hips to go to size 18W. And 4 inches is a good bit - can be around 20 lbs or so. So when you are much heavier, you have to drop a lot more weight to see pant size decreases. Compare this to the smaller sizes, which only have a 1-1.5 inch difference in measurement size.

The second part is body shape. Most people lose weight first in the places they gained it last. And if you are an apple shape (have a lot of weight in your stomach) and it's been there even before you were "fat", then it may take much longer for you to see smaller waistband sizes.
  • get10fit2013
    get10fit2013 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! I've lost almost 25, and wearing the exact same clothes. The only places i can tell I've lost is in my face and my fingers....yay (insert sarcasm here). My rings are almost too big now to wear, so I know it's coming off at least a little. It's so frustrating though because nobody can tell I'm losing and I'm trying so hard. How long did it take you to lose the 30 lbs? Mine is coming off really slow, so that may be why it's not noticeable either. It's taken me a good 9 months to get rid of it. Good luck to you!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I carry most of my weight in my stomach/hip area so going down a pant size is a tedious process. Especially if I want to be able to wear them with any decency outside the house. I've lost 98 lbs so far and gone from a 32W to a relatively comfy 24W, but it goes in spurts. The first time I went down a size I actually went down 2-3. I took a pair of 28s into the dressing room and had to ask for the 26s because the 28's were super roomy. This was at around 50 lbs lost. Now I'm just slowly working my way toward all 24's and some 22's since the sizing is usually different by brand and style. I've also got the challenge of overhanging belly to deal with. If I could get rid of the belly flap I've got going on I could wear a 20/22 at least now. It just takes time. You'll get there.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Me too...I've dropped 40 lbs and only went down 1 size! I can get the next size down on, and even zipped up, but still too tight. Because I have so much weight to lose, I thought my stomach would lose first (because it's the biggest). Unfortunately, it was chest mostly...

It's okay though, the rest will come off when it wants, and you're still down all that weight, so YAY FOR YOU!!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have lost 35lbs. While I did go down in size, it mainly came off of my butt. I still have a bit of a gut and a thick waist, at 130lbs. I'm not sure if I lose another 10lbs I will lose the mid section. It may be with me forever now.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    It also depends on the make of the jeans I can wear a 10 (tight) and I wear 14s So dont get discouraged :flowerforyou:
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    After I had my son I was about 30lbs lighter than I was when I got pregnant. My clothes were loose, but I don't think I would have been able to fit a smaller size. I am still the same size 30lbs heavier than that, but the clothes are tight. Even though I lost inches from what I have lost so far, my clothes don't fit too differently. Don't give up. You will have smaller pants size soon enough.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    It took me 25 pounds to go down a pant size. I went from a rather tight 14 to a now loose 12. Some 12s I still can't fit in to and some hang on me. It all depends on the designer.
  • femmefae
    femmefae Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'10" and before I weighed around 168 and was a size 12. Now I'm 127ish and fit a size 6. Everyone's different.

ETA: So about 12-15ish pounds between sizes for me I guess?
  • Davesgrl_92
    Options
    I had the same problem. It was like I wasn't losing inches around my waist for a while. I switched to "low risers" or "hip huggers" jeans & feel so much better (because the pants actually fit me in the thighs & hips & I don't have to wait for my waist to catch up lol)
  • g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone, thank you so much for the responses. It feels good (in a bittersweet way) to know that I'm not alone!

I've had a few people ask me what I'm doing to exercise, because by now I should see a change in my clothes. To be honest, I haven't done much exercising the last couple of weeks. I've mainly just been watching my calories and drinking lots of water.

Normally I'll go outside and do a brisk-paced walk, and get on the elliptical I own for 20m a day. (When my two small kids allow, of course!) Sometimes I'll do a 20m Jillian Michaels video, too.

I guess I just need to start kicking more butt with exercising?

It seems that I've lost all the weight from my face, arms, and chest. (My bra size has decreased). I need it off my hips / stomach!