Eating 'Clean'

Options
13»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I must of lived in a strange place growing up because my Mom and her mom (heck my Grandma too) cooked with a bucket of lard beside the stove. I can't remember many times my mother wasn't frying whatever we was eating for supper... All 3 of them were around 5 ft. tall and none of them weighed more than 130 pounds their whole life... and the only exercise my mom ever did was sitting at the table after taking care of the house and playing solitaire..... but I played sports and was 240 lbs, by the 6th grade eating the same foods.. but I am going to venture out on a limb and say it had more to do with the quantity of food that I was eating as to the quality but that is just my opinion.....

I see this experience a lot, and the same with my grandparents. I really think one of the differences is that the lard your mom and Gma were cooking with came from grass-fed cows, before it became common practice to feed grain to cows to make 'em fatter. Fats from grass-fed cows are higher in omega-3, vs. fats from grain-fed cows being much higher in omega-6. Long story short is the omega-3's are much nicer to the human body.

Just a thought :-)

... And what? You think a slightly different omega 3 to omega 6 ratio makes people fat?

Come on.

Fairly sure you don't understand and/or care about the difference between omega-3 and omega-6, and also don't realize that it's more than a slightly different ratio.

Keep being rude, though. It really fosters informed, intelligent discussion.

Looking forward to whatever is posted after this. And by looking forward to, I mean I will most likely giggle and also not care about the post.

Meh!

Instead of calling me stupid and throwing your hands in the air, it might be more interesting and helpful if you told us what you meant by linking omega 3 to omega 6 ratios in grass vs grain fed cows to obesity.
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I care about only 3 things: Protein, Carbohydrates and Fats. Eating clean to me is keeping fat at 15% or less for my daily macro intake.

In other words...I eat clean, I train mean, and I poop green!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I must of lived in a strange place growing up because my Mom and her mom (heck my Grandma too) cooked with a bucket of lard beside the stove. I can't remember many times my mother wasn't frying whatever we was eating for supper... All 3 of them were around 5 ft. tall and none of them weighed more than 130 pounds their whole life... and the only exercise my mom ever did was sitting at the table after taking care of the house and playing solitaire..... but I played sports and was 240 lbs, by the 6th grade eating the same foods.. but I am going to venture out on a limb and say it had more to do with the quantity of food that I was eating as to the quality but that is just my opinion.....

I see this experience a lot, and the same with my grandparents. I really think one of the differences is that the lard your mom and Gma were cooking with came from grass-fed cows, before it became common practice to feed grain to cows to make 'em fatter. Fats from grass-fed cows are higher in omega-3, vs. fats from grain-fed cows being much higher in omega-6. Long story short is the omega-3's are much nicer to the human body.

... And what? You think a slightly different omega 3 to omega 6 ratio makes people fat?

Come on.

Fairly sure you don't understand and/or care about the difference between omega-3 and omega-6, and also don't realize that it's more than a slightly different ratio.

Looking forward to whatever is posted after this. And by looking forward to, I mean I will most likely giggle and also not care about the post.

Meh!

How does the presence of a different w-3 to w-6 ratio in one isolated food item add up to any significant difference when you're looking at the entire diet? I would think you could only make claims about it if someone were consuming a diet of exclusively beef.
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I eat CLEAN.
    no MSG, no HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, no ARTIFICIAL SUGARS OR FLAVORS
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I eat CLEAN.

Do you broccoli or parmesan cheese? What about fruit?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Come on.

Meh!

How does the presence of a different w-3 to w-6 ratio in one isolated food item add up to any significant difference when you're looking at the entire diet? I would think you could only make claims about it if someone were consuming a diet of exclusively beef.

Exactly SS!! and let me add the lard was put in pie crusts, baked desserts, Pork, chicken, beef, They all had seasoned iron skillets and fried everything not just beef.... When it comes right down to it quantity over quality is what led me to 560 lbs. and was the main reason I was over 200 lbs. in the 6th grade... They just ate within a portioned amount where as I didn't know when to stop...
  • theepervette
    Options
    I eat CLEAN.

Yes I eat broccoli.. no cheese... yes fruit.

Unlimited amounts of raw mixed nuts, fruits, veggies, and greek yogurt..
  • Acg67
    Options
    I eat CLEAN.

Uh oh,

Free glutamate content of foods (mg per 100g)
    roquefort cheese 1280
    parmesan cheese 1200
    soy sauce 1090
    walnuts 658
    fresh tomato juice 260
    grape juice 258
    peas 200
    mushrooms 180
    broccoli 176
    tomatoes 140
    mushrooms 140
    oysters 137
    corn 130
    potatoes 102
    chicken 44
    mackerel 36
    beef 33
    eggs 23
    human milk 22
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who calls it "simple food". I have quite a few diet restrictions anyway, but I feel best when I stay away from processed foods - those whose ingredients I don't know or cannot pronounce.
  • theepervette
    Options
    I eat CLEAN.

Uh oh,

roquefort cheese 1280
    parmesan cheese 1200
    soy sauce 1090
    walnuts 658
    fresh tomato juice 260
    grape juice 258
    peas 200
    mushrooms 180
    broccoli 176
    tomatoes 140
    mushrooms 140
    oysters 137
    corn 130
    potatoes 102
    chicken 44
    mackerel 36
    beef 33
    eggs 23
    human milk 22

Nice.. I believe if it was grown from earth it;s damn good for our bodies.
    Factory? Science lab? no thanks.

Apparently it's worked wonders for me because I **** daily and have lost a good amount of weight.
  • Acg67
    Options
    I eat CLEAN.

Uh oh,

roquefort cheese 1280
    parmesan cheese 1200
    soy sauce 1090
    walnuts 658
    fresh tomato juice 260
    grape juice 258
    peas 200
    mushrooms 180
    broccoli 176
    tomatoes 140
    mushrooms 140
    oysters 137
    corn 130
    potatoes 102
    chicken 44
    mackerel 36
    beef 33
    eggs 23
    human milk 22

Nice.. I believe if it was grown from earth it;s damn good for our bodies.
    Factory? Science lab? no thanks.

Apparently it's worked wonders for me because I **** daily and have lost a good amount of weight.

Well that is certainly strong logic, I wonder if there are any poisonous plants?
    Or anything made in a factory or lab that is good for you.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    So the exact same substance is great if it's already in a plant but terrible if it came from a factory. Huh.

Also, interesting fact: most stuff in nature is not edible. Just saying.
  • gege0404
    gege0404 Posts: 17
    Options
    Eating clean is NOT a diet or a temporary thing....IT IS A LIFESTYLE. It's only goal is not to change body composition but rather to be healthy overall...heart health, prevent diseased such as diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. IT'S A CHOICE....and my choice. Of course, I may indulge a bit but 98% of the time I eat healthy and I feel great!!
  • gege0404
    gege0404 Posts: 17
    Options
    In the foods we eat there is NO slight difference between Omega 3s and Omega 6s.....there is a HUGE one. Omega 6 is the "bad" fat. Most Americans who eat like crap have an extreme excess of this fat. It causes breast cancer amongst other diseases. You should never supplement with Omega 6.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is NOT a diet or a temporary thing....IT IS A LIFESTYLE. It's only goal is not to change body composition but rather to be healthy overall...heart health, prevent diseased such as diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. IT'S A CHOICE....and my choice. Of course, I may indulge a bit but 98% of the time I eat healthy and I feel great!!

This I believe. I haven't hit 98% but I'm working on it.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

I am really interested in how lard could possibly come from grass-fed cows.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    This is well worth the watch......Layne Norton basically doesn't agree with either..... :)

BioLayne Video Log 12 - Clean Eating vs IIFYM (If it fits your macros)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6H2edyPLU8
  • MrPrezWins
    Options
    Eating clean works, but it's not practical. You don't get fat eating chicken and broccoli. But calories in, calories out... you're losing weight. Not necessarily fat. Eating clean, you'll lose fat.

You can definitely get fat eating chicken and broccoli if you are a good chef.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I always make sure to wash my nuts before......
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

I am really interested in how lard could possibly come from grass-fed cows.

Yes...I'd like to tast that Cow Lard...MMMM goes good with ChiKen.....