MFP vs IIFYM??

Options
Hi everybody!
First of all, I apologize for my not so perfect english.
Here is my question : I am 29, 1,51m (5'5) and 50,4 kg (111,11 lb); MFP set my daily calorie goal at 1250, IIFYM set this goal (using my TDEE) at 1524.
Which website should I trust for the calorie goal and for the macros proportions?
I already changed my daily calories to 1300, in order to be just above my BMR. Is it a good idea or should I return to 1250?
Thanks a lot for your answers!!

Replies

• MrPrezWins
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE using formulas like Katch McKardle. You should not be eating below your BMR EVER. You will suffer from hormone problems and likely not succeed on your diet. Try to eat at least 200 over your BMR daily even if that means doing a little bit more cardio. It's always better to keep your calories as high as possible to lose weight in order to maintain good chemical balance.
  • ariane40
    ariane40 Posts: 17
    Options
    For you, is Katch Mccardle the best formula or is Jifflin StJeor also good? Because I'm not sure about my bodyfat percentage.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    FYI, 1,51m is not 5'5". Just throwing it out there so you don't miscalculate.

I'm using TDEE-20%, because it's easier than worrying about how many calories I burn during exercise. I just use this site : http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ although finding my activity level with it is a pain.
  • MrPrezWins
    Options
    For you, is Katch Mccardle the best formula or is Jifflin StJeor also good? Because I'm not sure about my bodyfat percentage.

The only way to really "learn" your TDEE is to weigh yourself and make sure that you are not gaining or losing. Of course you will need a starting point and Katch is really accurate for me. Getting bodyfat percentage is not possible for everyone so try using StJeor until you know it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MFP expects you to log exercise and eat those calories back. That would likely bring you close to IFFYM goals.

Also, what did you chose for a weight loss goal for each (lbs per week for mfP and -% for IFFYM).

I also thought that IIFYM bases goals like protein and fat off of your body weight and/or activity level so your calorie goal shouldn't matter.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for users to eat back their exercise calories.

TDEE numbers include exercise calories into their calculations.
  • ariane40
    Options
    On MFP I chose a loss of 250g a week and on IIFYM I chose the recommanded 15%.
    I understand the "eating back" but when i don't exercise, it is hard for me to stay under my bmr, at 1250 calories.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    MFP:IIFYM :: Electronic Filing:Tax Return
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    MFP:IIFYM :: Electronic Filing:Tax Return

I like this. Probably only because I'm an accountant... but still. :tongue:

OP, if you know your TDEE, subtract your deficit and aim for that amount. Use MFP to track your calories and macros and see how close you are. If it's way off you are either, over estimating your activity level in your TDEE or you're under estimating your exercise in MFP.
  • ariane40
    Options
    Alright I've just understood the difference between MFP and IIFYM, thank to all your answers!!
    So finally, if i follow MFP, i can add my exercise on the board and if i follow IIFYM, i don't take exercise in account because it is already in the calculation.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to lose weight at 5'5" and 111lbs?Curious
  • ariane40
    Options
    When i came to england for a few months, i gained around 14 to 15 lbs. So i started my weight loss with Weight Watchers and now i'd like to lose the last 1 or 2lbs to reach my goal, that's why i came to MFP because WW doesn't seem to work anymore.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    When i came to england for a few months, i gained around 14 to 15 lbs. So i started my weight loss with Weight Watchers and now i'd like to lose the last 1 or 2lbs to reach my goal, that's why i came to MFP because WW doesn't seem to work anymore.

if you only have 1-2lbs to lose, then you are already at your goal. your body can easily go up or down 3-4lbs per day due to water retention or water loss.

forget the number on the scale. it means absolutely NOTHING.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about the IIFYM part of this-- IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) is about macros and flexible dieting, not calorie goal. It sounds like you mean TDEE method. In which case, they should be close.

But OP, you're already at 18.5 BMI, which is right on the border of underweight. IMO you shouldn't be losing weight at all. If you're unhappy with your body I'd recommend lifting weights and doing recomp instead.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

if you only have 1-2lbs to lose, then you are already at your goal. your body can easily go up or down 3-4lbs per day due to water retention or water loss.

forget the number on the scale. it means absolutely NOTHING.

This. Eat at or very near maintenance, get regular exercise especially strength training, and track your progress through photos and measurements instead of just the scale.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    estimate you maintenance and add 10%. Lift heavy stuff. Take pics/measurements.
  • ariane40
    Options
    I may have written a mistake about my height and weight in non-metric figures, because in metric figures (1,51m and 51kg) my bmi is about 22, not 18,5. I absolutely know that i won't be able to go under 21 maybe so don't worry, I'm not going to starve myself!
    Anyway, thanks for the advice with strengh training, i will try to do that, even if i don't have any gym around.