Mirrors in the Gym... what do YOU do?

Options
13»

Replies

• doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Well, before my injury took me away from the gym scene... I used the mirrors to my best advantage. I would check my form to be sure I was doing the move correctly and stare myself right in the eye and chant inside my head words of encouragement. Kind of like being my own boot camp instructor.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I usually pull my shirt up to my chin, flex my abs really hard, cough a few times to bring attention to it, take a selfie while yelling "Keep it paleo"
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I usually pull my shirt up to my chin, flex my abs really hard, cough a few times to bring attention to it, take a selfie while yelling "Keep it paleo"

Video or it didn't happen.
    If you really did this you would be my swole hero. :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I figured that about you.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I do strength training solely with free weights, and mirrors are crucial when checking my form. When I first started, I didn't exactly like what I saw in the mirror either, but I didn't dwell on it at all.

Without mirrors, a person could get hurt.

Honestly this is so dumb, I can't begin to explain it.

Group classes is not free weights.

Body pump is.... It is a class AND uses free weights.

I have taken a handful of classes at my gym and in all of them I used a mirror to check out my form. Personally, I think no mirrors is stupid, but to each their own. Glad my gym isn't doing that though.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    How are you supposed to check your form with no mirrors?

Are people really that self-concious that the mirrors need to be taken down?

I agree about the checking your form. However, yes people are that self conscious.

Maybe in certain classes maybe some could be covered to cut down on people feeling self conscious, but in the weight are especially they area as an important part of the equipment as the weights.
  • LYNN8SUPERSTAR
    Options
    Yes I think mirro ae great at helping me see if im doing the moves right:smile:
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I check my forum in kick boxing and in weight lifting class constantly. On days when I cant see myself in the mirror, if it were say a very full class and I got stuck in a bad spot, my intensity goes way down. I would hate to see the mirrors at our gym taken down. also my instructors don't stay on stage, they often get down and intermingle with the class, we all use the mirror to see what they are doing.
    Now all that said... in zumba I don't watch myself, it messes me up if I do. though I rarely take zumba anymore.
  • fortunateflyer
    fortunateflyer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use them to spy on the guy in the power rack next to me between my sets. #sorrynotsorry

Aside from that I don't use them for too much useful stuff. In addition to the annoyance of having to look sideways during a lift to actually get any useful information about my form, there's a smith machine blocking the mirror on the side of the platforms so I have to take a hike with the barbell to get far enough back to be able to see myself. Also the mirrors at my gym don't go all the way to the floor so I can't even see anything at the bottom of a squat.

I have to say I do like being able to look at myself before a lift and give myself a little pep talk. It worked wonders yesterday.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    That would drive me insane... I would hate working out with the mirrors covered. I watch myself my form- and if I'm in a class I watch the instructor... I take a great deal of dance class (like actual dance class- not dance fitness) and having a mirror is vital to the learning.

I can't imagine why you would cover them up- that's just rubbish.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If I see mirrors in a yoga studio, I would not come back to that studio. You're supposed to develop proprioception and know how a pose feels when it's performed correctly. And you're not supposed to stare at others, discreetly or not.

I don't see why any other exercise should be different. You cannot possibly check the form of your lifts from all the necessary angles in a mirror while working with a barbell. What help is a mirror going to be in checking whether the bar path is vertical? Get a coach or videotape yourself, don't rely on a mirror.
  • katg73
    katg73 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm pro mirrors. In the beginning I didn't like what I saw, but, like what another poster said -- the absence of mirrors don't change the way you actually look. I remember reading a study (can't recall the source) about women who looked at themselves more often in the mirror had a more positive understanding and perception of their bodies than women who avoided looking at mirrors. You have to learn who you are and how you look in order for your mind to build a more positive relationship with what it sees.

And, yes, I do still check my form in the mirror in group classes. I'm one of those people who never had immediate hand-eye-coordination. As said above, Body Pump is a group class w/weights and when you are doing tons of reps in a certain amount of time, you need to be able to catch that form right away. Same goes for other classes that don't involve free weights. I get lost easily and need those mirrors for all those awesome awkward moments when I accidentally think I'm doing a certain move correctly, but *check the mirror* OOPS, totally wrong lol.

Either way, to each their own, right?
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use the mirrors in the studio to check my form, I do kickboxing and find it really useful. I know the instructor also uses it to keep an eye on everyone.

However, there are mirrors all down one side of the equipment room, which is useful for weights and stretching- not so good for the treadmills that are directly in front of the mirrors. I cannot stand to watch myself run!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym, but when I lift at home, I always do it in front of my closet, which is top to bottom mirror, so I can check my form.
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I look at myself in them - that's what I do.

This....
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    yes. need mirrors to check form. i want to have mirrors on all four walls so i can flip around and do whatever and always be able to see myself in any position, in any orientation. critical. seems absolutely wonked not to have any...