My Fat Belly And Me...Hope For The Future

Options
Hanfordrose
Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
After so many years of seeing this same old body, I just became used to all those wrinkles, rolls, stretch marks, sagging skin, saddle bags and my very old and very familar belly. My ample abdomen has seen me through a life time of everything from pregancy to abdominal surgeries. It bears the stretch marks and scars of my life like a road map, though it's shape was more like a beat up globe.

I am quite sure that I have lost and gained more than 1,000 pounds over my 68 years; and this fine, old belly was always been there...protruding, deflating briefly, inflating and stretching into some new volumous object that went before me, wherever I went. As I aged, the old tummy began dropping lower and lower, until it hung so low that it touched my thighs.

Oh, it still stuck way out in front, along with it companion, my spare tire. They came together to form some kind of wrinkled waist band of sorts. Of course, my belly button was a tunnel at the top of the long, decending surgical scar which disappeared into a place I haven't seen in years. That thick scar divided my abdomen into 2 perfect halves, laced with shiny stretch marks and other less obvious scars

My belly has helped to define much of my life. It kept me in roomy, A-Line dresses throughout much of my youth, when other girls wore tight mini skirts. That belly also kept me out of jeans completely. I never could imagine buttoning up denim pants over that fat belly. I was sure that there wasn't even a pair of jeans that would fit my ovoid shape...not so much a pear but a well-filled water balloon profile.

As I started losing weight, during the past 6 months, I was amazed that I was losing pant sizes almost from the beginning...but my belly was still there, holding on to it's prominent position. That belly still demanded stretchy pants with an elastic waist band. That stomach was still the first thing that I noticed in the mirror, in or out of clothes.

Then...only a few short weeks ago, I started swimming. I thought that doing laps would help my fat upper arms and maybe even take up some slack in those saddle bags on my hips and the sagging flesh between my inner thighs.

However, I had no delusions about my belly. I knew that even deflated, it would still be a fat apron in front of me, maybe even dangling to the mid-thigh or (God forbid!) my knees. Perhaps, a miracle like some large sum of money from out of nowhere would fall on me to pay for surgery to remove about 40 pounds of hanging belly. Unfortunately, I knew better. That wasn't going to happen. Even if I were blessed with a bunch of money, Ed and I had better things to do with that kind of gift than put it into reconstructive surgery for this old girl. I was prepared to live with my belly, no matter where it ended up. It was my responsibility. Afterall, I made it that way.

Oh, sorry for getting sidetracked. Let's get back to the subject of swimming.

I have been doing ever increasing number of laps each day for the past 3 weeks. I have even stopped counting laps and simply swim for one hour at a time. That is non-stop swimming, breast stroking with a frog kick down one length of pool and changing to a modified back stroke and flutter kick for the rest of each lap. This required real effort from both my arms and legs; but my belly just went along for the ride. At least, that what I thought. What I didn't realize was something remarkable was happening under all of that belly fat.

At first, I thought it was a mistake. This couldn't really be happening. MY STOMACH...MY BIG, FAT BELLY WAS SHRINKING?!!! It wasn't just getting deflated and hanging further down. IT WAS LIFTING UP AND IN!!! Sure, it was wrinkled, but it was NOT HANGING...at least, not like it used to hang. Hallelujah!!! :happy:

When I got out of the shower, I could see the area between my belly and my thighs for the first time in years. Today...as I was toweling off from my shower, I suddenly realized that I could still see my spare tire; but my belly wasn't sticking out well beyond that old familar roll under my drooping breasts.

My first thought was, "This is weird. This isn't my body. Where did my tummy go?" I stood in front of the mirror for while, just trying to get used to what I was seeing. This was so different from what I expected. I can really see the changes in my shape.

Yeah, my breasts have certainly deflated. They look like those pancake breasts of the older native women in the National Geographic Magazine photos from Africa and the Pacific Islands. Well, that's to be expected. Serves me right for going braless so often back in the 60's and 70's. There's no plans for a boob job in my future either. As my hubbie Ed put it, "You're not so fluffy anymore, Mama." Oh, well. :ohwell:

As for the thighs and arms, I can't really tell yet. I do know that my swimming is now so effortless. That has got to be a sign of better muscle strength in those areas. Maybe, future photos will show me those less noticeable improvements; or I might just be able to get into a smaller size blouse without puffy sleeves. That would be nice.

However...there is no doubt about one thing. I can see it clearly in the mirror. MY BELLY IS SHRINKING and happily LIFTING UP from it's position over my thighs. Thank you, God. It is not too late to make a change in that part of my body. There is hope for my belly and me. :wink:

Replies

• melaniehubbard
    melaniehubbard Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    AWesome keep up the good work!!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    What a super post! I'm so pleased for you! My belly sounds similar to yours, lots of wear and tear and history, not all happy, and it became a huge symbol for the all loss and pain in my life.

I expected it to just hang like a bespread over my undies as I lost weight, but no, it's creeping back up and into my middle! And it feels like I'm getting some part of my youth back, some part of me from an age ago.

It'll never be tight and smooth again I know that. But it'll be smaller and flatter, and that's more than I could have hoped for.
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Love your story! And love your lighthearted take on the facts of life! There is definitely inspiration there!
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Great! Keep it up, sounds like you're well on your way! Such an inspiration :)
  • EAPTX
    EAPTX Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You made me (and my belly) laugh out loud! Thanks for the inspiration!
  • pamuyamakene
    pamuyamakene Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post, the beginning of your story sounds just like mine and now you give me hope! I have lost weight but the belly is still my curved buddy lol, I have to try out swimming too. Good luck with the rest of your progress, thank you for inspiring me to keep going!:flowerforyou:
  • SusanFinck
    SusanFinck Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Love the post. It was almost like you were peeking through the key hole and describing me, just on a somewhat smaller scale
    (in my youth I was referred to as 'small boned"). One thing your eyes failed to notice is the crepe paper skin covering everything
    but the soles of my feet. What's up with that? I've only noticed it this past year. I'm very happy for your wonderful success in the
    pool. Although there is a pool here in the block I have never felt comfortable in the water. It seems to bring on a panicky kind
    of feeling where I've just got to reach the other side so I can hold on again. I'd never be able to do laps.
  • HeatherBrookmyer
    HeatherBrookmyer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I loved reading this post, I'm so happy for you! Congratulations on bringing your belly back up to it's rightful position, I can't wait to see what the rest of your journey brings!!
  • BLady44
    BLady44 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great story! Congrats to you :)... I might just think about starting to swim now :)
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I only began swimming again in the past 3 weeks. I had not owned a swimsuit in more than 50 years. Fear of being seen in so little clothing had kept me from enjoying something incredibly wonderful for both my body and my spirit. I am so glad that I overcame that fear and could move on with my life.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You're posts are always so sweet, funny, and inspiring. I love your positive outlook. Thank you for sharing each of your milestones with us!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Great story!!! Congratulations!!! :)
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post. I just attended my first water aerobics class this week, and I wondered whether or not I would like swimming laps. Been a long time since I've done that.

Thanks for taking the time to write your story. Much appreciated.
  • Snicklefritz81
    Snicklefritz81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Love this, so funny but very true. My belly tells a story too...I can only hope that it too shrinks a flattens a little. I don't need super flat or even tight, but less is all I ask!

PS I love swimming! It does great things for your body, and low impact on the bones ;)
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Wonderful post. I just attended my first water aerobics class this week, and I wondered whether or not I would like swimming laps. Been a long time since I've done that.

Thanks for taking the time to write your story. Much appreciated.

You might find your water aerobics to be a mild form of exercise. Take a break, when the class is over. Then, get back into the water and do a few laps in whatever stroke feel easiest for you. I hadn't swam in what seemed like forever. The first day was only 8 laps, but it didn't take long to build up to a very comfortable, steady pace.

The only reason that I stop after one hour is my hubbie. He doesn't want his old girl to overdo her swim time and pay for it later. We settled on the one hour limit. I quit at that mark, but I feel like I could swim all day long.

Most of the time, I am in a wheelchair; so, swimming is my only painless exercise. If I have to stand or walk, my knees scream at me. Soon, I will be getting my first knee replacement surgery. Swimming is helping me to get ready for the postop phsyical therapy.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You are really doing such a wonderful job losing weight. I am so proud of you.
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for you. Well done :)
  • chubbymommy34
    Options
    What a fantastic post. Very inspirational and what a sense of humor you have. WTG and keep up the good work.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I love swimming! It does great things for your body, and low impact on the bones ;)

Operative words...low impact on the bones. I am so amazed that my knee pain disappears in the water. Even if I am stiff or sore in my shoulders or back in the morning, I am painfree in only a minute or two in the pool.

Ed will be out of town for the next week to 10 days; and I am going to miss my trips to the pool. I will have to just go back to my Sit And Fit exercise DVDs and my hand weights for a while. That will seem so different, after 3 weeks of doing laps every day.
  • catinohio
    catinohio Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Simply awesome post.
    Finding out that you're doing laps with breast stroke rather than traditional rhythmic-breathing crawl encourages me to look into joining the Y & give it a try.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!