How many calories do you leave yourself for supper?

Options

Replies

• stormyinfinity
    Options
    I try to leave myself 600 or 700 for dinner. I stay up pretty late at night, so a big dinner is preferable for me.

Also, the preference of calling it "dinner" or "supper" is mostly just of cultural significance.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    wow that's alot of cals before bed!

you should look at this site: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

at the very bottom it will break down how many cals each meal should be depending on how many you want to eat (I eat 6 meals) and they are all around 300 cals. I try to load up at the beginning of the day to burn the most then lessen through the night...

think the old saying, Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Lord and Dinner like a Peasant. :)

I have used this method for most of my weight loss, and doing so has not affected this process for me one bit. I tried doing smaller meals and snacks when I first started, and I was completely miserable. If that method works for you, then that's wonderful. You need to do what works for you!

But, I'll stick to having my coffee for breakfast, a reasonable lunch, snacks if needed, and a big @ss dinner, because that is what works for me. Also, I'm not a hangry b*tch anymore, so my family thinks this method is awesome, too!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    All the calories. Well, minus 50ish for coffee. I train in the evening, and then I feast.

Meal timing has no effect on weight loss. All that matters is that you are in a deficit. If you can't sleep with a full stomach, then eat earlier in the day. Otherwise, you can eat IN bed and not be harmed by it.
  • balsert713
    balsert713 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm not a night snacker. I'm not really a snacker, unless i'm in the kitchen rumbling around, being bored. I work at 6 am, so I'm usually asleep by 9. I eat about 200 calls for breakfast -- which is a banana and peanut butter or something grab and go during my work week. I eat it before my work day starts. I eat lunch sometime between 1030 and 1130, whenever I get my lunch break. It's anywhere between 300-500 cals. Usually salad, leftovers. I find I get hungry between breakfast and lunch -- but that could be because I serve breakfast to my residents around 8 and then 9, so I'm around foodstuffs. Haha.

Then I have about 500-700 calories left for dinner. We eat about 5, and once or twice we have built in desserts. Sugar free jello with whipped cream, fruit or the like. I have two 7 year olds that think you should eat dessert after EVERY meal. lol.

I plan my meals a week at a time, for grocery shopping, so I know the calorie counts and serving amounts with how much leftover calories I have for each day so I can use for more servings, ice cream, so forth. If I'm not so rigid in my meal plans, I have leeway to cheat EVERYDAY. I still do unexpected potlucks, dinners out, surprise desserts from the hubby. But my schedule gets me right back on track.

I read somewhere that a good rule of thumb is 3-4-5 -- for a 1200 cal diet eat 300 breakfast, 400 for lunch, 500 for dinner.
  • Nina1007
    Nina1007 Posts: 150
    Options
    Also around 500-800. 500 -700 when I cook and 800 when I order pizza or other food, mindfully. I like to save a few hundred for ice cream around 8-9 :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    i leave a majority t for evening. Why.?.cause that is when i can overeat. It actually motivates me to exercise so i can go into the evening with more than 1000 so i have what i need in case i slip up.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I can't go to bed hungry so I like to have at least 600-1000 calories for a late dinner and then go to bed feeling full.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Same, usually 600 calories or more.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My dinner/supper (never understood the difference - same to me) is as many calories as I am hungry or fit into however many calories I have left in the day. Could be 300. Could be 1000.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    At the least, I try to give myself 400-600cal. My meals tend to go on the light side as I have 4-5 meals a day (yes, snacks count as meals in my mind), so that gives me plenty of leeway if I want to make soup, or stirfry, or eggs, or whatever comes to mind.
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I give myself about 500 calories for dinner. I also workout after work at 4:30 so I'll have about 150 calories before I hit the gym in the form of a soy protein shake. BUT if something comes up last minute and I miss my workout, I still have enough for dinner anyway.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the 300-1000 range rarely go over with this--
  • willnevergiveup
    willnevergiveup Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have about 380 calories budgeted for dinner tonight. It's one 4 oz lean hamburger patty, a huge salad without dressing and fresh strawberries with Splenda and a couple tablespoons of whipped cream. I'm a carb counter and it comes to 15 net carbs so I'm happy with that.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I usually leave about 700-1000 for dinner. I'm not really a breakfast person, so it has been very easy to do.

This. I like to have a nice meal with my husband when he gets homes, so I keep it light throughout the beginning of the day.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    600-ish, though pre-workout I have 347. :D Dinner tends to be my heavy meal, usually around 600-800 calories, especially on Friday night (steak night baby!). Breakfast is my light meal, not on purpose, but 2 hard boiled eggs and coffee with creamer, and I'm set.
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I try to have 1,000. Yup. I usually eat between 600-900 during the rest of the day, then work out so I can get back to 1,000. It's my bigger meal since I usually eat with family and friends, so it's nice to have the cushion.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My dinner/supper (never understood the difference - same to me) is as many calories as I am hungry or fit into however many calories I have left in the day. Could be 300. Could be 1000.

No, there's a difference. In many places, supper is a light snack after dinner. But, some people use the word supper instead of dinner. So, when people say supper, I like to know what they mean.

My evening meal is 800-900 cals. I eat pretty light during the day.

From what I understand, supper is always an evening meal. Dinner is either the noon or evening meal, depending on how formal it is. Blame my German/Irish blood. :wink:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I like to have at least 800+ cals for dinner. But I usually eat & log breakfast, then do my best to plan and log that night's dinner right away. That helps me figure out lunch and snacks, and the possibility of drinks with dinner and/or dessert. :bigsmile:
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    5-800 calories. :3